Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytoroll View Post
I had never heard of "impact resistant film" so I will be going to the hardware store to check it out. Thanks. Great info for any homeowner.
I work for a construction-related company and we use it in government type buildings. The stuff we use is specifically called "Armor Coat Implosion Film" and it's a 10mm thick Mylar film that goes on glass. Very thick, but ours is commercial grade and we only install it on government type buildings to prevent damage in the event of explosions, implosions, etc.

You are not going to be able to find it at places like Home Depot or Lowes. You should look around for window companies who might resell it. Residential film will probably be in the 2mm to 4mm or maybe 6mm thickness variety and might be under a different name. Basically it's a flim that goes on simply to the inside of the glass using spray or even just a soapy spray. Once dry, it makes it much harder for someone to be able to break into a window - very similar to if you use "laminated" glass in your window where there's a layer of plastic flim INSIDE the glass. This is outer layer film you can put on yourself or have someone do for you, so it's not as effective as using laminated glass, but cheaper.

Note though, using impact film will have an effect on glass clarity... it sometimes gives the glass a slight tint, and a slight "Wave Distortion" look if you move up and down while looking out of it.

Here's a (long) link below to a company that sells something like it. They call it "Hurricane film" as it would also help during wind storms to prevent glass break damage in a home:

Window Film - Concord Window Film - Flat Glass Films
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,027 times
Door jamb reinforcing hardware like Strikemaster or Door Jamb Armor is effective against kick-ins without the unsightly door bars. The hardware may be difficult to find since it is new, and it may be difficult to install in old houses. But it's significantly cheaper than the ~$700 for a wrought iron security door. Let me know if you want details.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:59 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times
Maybe not in some of the outlying suburbs, but I have seen MANY homes in the city of Atlanta itself as well as some closer in suburbs that have both security doors and burglar bars. Should not be a problem for you.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 42,033 times
Lightbulb StrikeMaster II Pro - Door Frame Reinforcement/Kick-in Protection

Another variation of the security door is the StrikeMaster II Pro - Door Frame Reinforcement, which affords kick-in security for you door. It's much less expensive and easier to install than any security door or security bar, and it affords much greater protection, without unsightly bars. You can use them on any wood frame door, including apartments, without violating any local ordinance or subdivision rules. The best part of it is, it's guaranteed! Check it out at StrikeMaster Home Security. This really is maximum protection for you and your home.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Good Lord...I forget to lock my front door half the time. I guess I'm not all that worried about being invaded. I know it can happen to anyone at any time, but I feel pretty safe without any of those fortifications. I do have an alarm system and 3 big dogs that hang out in the front yard off and on...and a softball bat by my bed.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:25 PM

285 posts, read 876,484 times
My house in Atlanta has security doors from the previous owner.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:15 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
IF anything, they may not be allowed due to being a fire hazard. Esp. windows

Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 AM

49 posts, read 186,718 times
3m Scotchtint window film seems perfect for keeping burglars from broking your windows but where do you buy it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: