Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:11 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times

Advertisements

Hello all, this is going to be a shot in the dark, but I want to ask anyway because, well, you never know until you ask...

Would anyone know of a safe, and more importantly, FREE parking spot either around the airport of along ANY of the MARTA lines (including a close bus stop to the train) for several days at a time?

I realize MARTA parking is free for the day, but over periods more than that, depending on the station, charges are anywhere from $5 to $8 a day and I want to try to avoid that.

If anyone knows something, PLEASE, do tell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 07:14 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,093 times
Inman Park has a decent amount of on street parking near the station that would work well. I'd suggest parking in a lot near Doraville or Sandy Springs but I don't know that you wouldn't get towed after a few days. I don't know what the policy is at the park-and-rides but that could be an option as well.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 PM

567 posts, read 889,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Hello all, this is going to be a shot in the dark, but I want to ask anyway because, well, you never know until you ask...

Would anyone know of a safe, and more importantly, FREE parking spot either around the airport of along ANY of the MARTA lines (including a close bus stop to the train) for several days at a time?

I realize MARTA parking is free for the day, but over periods more than that, depending on the station, charges are anywhere from $5 to $8 a day and I want to try to avoid that.

If anyone knows something, PLEASE, do tell!
I would take the hit. MARTA long-term parking is not bad and its convenient. I left my car at college park station for about a week. Got back, hoped the train one station then Had to pay about $50 when I got back. I wouldn't risk leaving it long term unprotected.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
I would take the hit. MARTA long-term parking is not bad and its convenient. I left my car at college park station for about a week. Got back, hoped the train one station then Had to pay about $50 when I got back. I wouldn't risk leaving it long term unprotected.
It adds up over a month. I'm usually gone for stretches of 6 days, return for a few, then out again... up to 4 times a month. My funds aren't exactly that flexible.

Or... if there is a place that charges no more than $2 a day for parking within close proximity to transit or airport.

Last edited by WanderingImport; 02-27-2015 at 09:47 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 08:17 AM

122 posts, read 186,358 times
I don't think your going to find anything. Businesses with land near the airport or Marta stations are well aware that many people need a place to park when their out of town long term, and want to profit off of that.

You can roll the dice parking in a shopping center and walking to a Marta station, but they would have every right to tow you. I think your quest to save $50 a trip will end up causing more headaches, but that's just my opinion.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1324 View Post
I don't think your going to find anything. Businesses with land near the airport or Marta stations are well aware that many people need a place to park when their out of town long term, and want to profit off of that.

You can roll the dice parking in a shopping center and walking to a Marta station, but they would have every right to tow you. I think your quest to save $50 a trip will end up causing more headaches, but that's just my opinion.
..but it is much more than just $50. When all is said and done at the end of the month, I will have shelled out nearly $200 for parking at $8 a day.

$8 x 6 = $48 for the week x 4 = $192

Even $5 parking added up is still not cheap at $120

It adds up!

Once again, if anyone even knows of a much cheaper option.. like $2 a day parking within my specified parameters above, please do tell!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:37 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,431 times
Start using google map street view to look for street parking near the marta. "near" might be a mile though, and might take hour+ more of your time.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:18 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,628,689 times
How close do you live to a Gwinnett County Transit bus stop? Routes 10, 20, and 35 go to the Doraville Station.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:21 PM

122 posts, read 186,358 times
What about uber/cab to the nearest Marta then? That way you can leave your car at home

Old 02-28-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
How close do you live to a Gwinnett County Transit bus stop? Routes 10, 20, and 35 go to the Doraville Station.
I use GCT to get to Doraville when I can, but where I live, on weekends, there's no service.
GCT is absolutely horrible!! (Even when there's service)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1324 View Post
What about uber/cab to the nearest Marta then? That way you can leave your car at home
I just used uber today to get to Doraville, but that also adds up. Costs $45 one way even on über. Except for the first time, which was $6. If only all of them were "first rides".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta