Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:59 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I'm quite familiar with the area. Its been on a downward trend for many, many years. The argument was that rail magically transformed an area. That's clearly NOT the case.

This article is on Dallas, which now has the nation's longest light rail system at 90 miles, but its interesting and relevant. The readers' comments about the lack of development along the system (and their opinions on why) are particularly interesting.

hrrp://greatergreaterwashingtonpost.org/post/25858/would-you-have-guessed-dallas-has-the-countrys-biggest-light-rail-system/
Avondale MARTA station area, scary? LMBAO You need to stop, really you do.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is how false narratives, i.e. lies are started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 10:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
I'm quite familiar with the area. Its been on a downward trend for many, many years. The argument was that rail magically transformed an area. That's clearly NOT the case.

This article is on Dallas, which now has the nation's longest light rail system at 90 miles, but its interesting and relevant. The readers' comments about the lack of development along the system (and their opinions on why) are particularly interesting.

hrrp://greatergreaterwashingtonpost.org/post/25858/would-you-have-guessed-dallas-has-the-countrys-biggest-light-rail-system/
Have you visited East Decatur Station, just a few blocks from the station? A warehouse converted to offices, restaurants and there are 2 breweries behind it.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmereEsquire View Post
Are Vine City,English Ave, and Castleberry Hill considered Beltline neighborhoods?
No they are not.

But all those areas are considered a part of the Westside TAD and do have development programs in place. Also, I remember reading, I think here on this forum that the next phase of the streetcar is supposed to go down North Ave/Northside Drive and down Donald Lee Hollowell/Bankhead Hwy to connect to the Bankhead station, in preparation for the expansion of Maddox Park and the new park being built at the quarry, which will be bigger than Piedmont Park. That line will serve the English Avenue neighborhood when that phase is completed.

Castleberry should be getting some attention via the new Falcon's Stadium and honestly that area is already in decent shape. Vine City and English Avenue are also slated for some attention due to the Falcon's stadium and Vine City in particular has been gaining a lot of steam with new commercial developments in the past few years. I think it is a good neighborhood to be considered "up and coming" in the future due to the fact that it still has affordable housing, crime is down in the area, and it is served by two MARTA train stations (Ashby and Vine City are both in the Vine City neighborhood).

There is also a trail being build on North Avenue at Lowery Blvd that will connect North Ave to the upgraded Maddox Park. It will begin literally across the street from the English Avenue neighborhood's Urban Farm so there will be connectivity but those neighborhoods IMO can't be considered "Beltline" neighborhoods.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:03 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Like where?
Oakland City.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:10 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
The southern stops to East Point, the western stops. Several stops on the eastern line has declined since the 80s-see Avondale/Indian Creek. In other words, about 50% of the path of MARTA.
MARTA to Avondale Estates | MARTA Guide

Old 03-04-2015, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,970 times
All these neighborhoods are great. My wife and I originally made an offer on a house on Peeples Street last year but realized that the needed repairs were probably gonna be outside of our budget. We kept on looking in Adair Park, West End, Capitol View and Westview. We saw pros and cons in each community but we ultimately decided to purchase in Westview. The price was right, neighborhood organization is strong, and the homes are historic. Several months later we are really happy.

Like another poster said, judging by what we've seen from the northeast segment, it looks to me like the Beltline accelerates or amplifies what's already happening in an area. But that's just one segment. The southwest section is a whole different set of factors and I think will be a different experience. I haven't talked to many people who are under the impression that the Beltline alone will improve a neighborhood. It will take effort from residents and time, which I think is a good thing. I think if someone is looking for a short-term turnaround they missed the boat by not buying in O4W, Reynoldstown, Cabbagetown, or Kirkwood during the housing downturn.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:28 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
The Avondale and Kensington areas are pretty scary. That's why May is proposing "downtown DeKalb" (which isn't going to happen anytime soon, if ever). You don't build the county jail in a prime, up and coming area (across the street from "Downtown DeKalb" in case you weren't aware). Avondale Estates figured they would need 2 full time police officers if they simply annexed the Walmart there on Memorial Drive just down from Kensington. East Lake is starting to come back, but it has fallen a long, long ways.

Those areas used to be nice, but have declined. Areas with MARTA stations have declined as much as others have thrived. The saying is, "you can't push a string." If there's not some underlying strength in an area, these improvements don't change much.
I dont know anyone who thinks Avondale Station is "scary" but you.In all my life you are the ONLY person who has said this.
East Lake?WTH!Have you look at the housing prices in that area?All up.
Thirty years ago like much of Atlanta older neighborhoods,that area had declined but now its been developing new subdivisions and renovated houses

Even Kemmsington is not scary it,It may not be in the wealthiest area but hardly scary but it sounds like you equate scary with lower income.

That Jail has been there for years.It was built because not much was around it.

The rail does work when its built where people use it.There is not enough density in some of these areas but thats quickly changing at many of tose stations.

You mention Dallas having the longest which means absolutely NOTHING if its not near the high density areas which oddly enough is your argument that building rail ill not bring development.So which is it?You sound contradictory when you mention Dallas.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
My wife and I use HE Homes pretty often, we drive their from the Cascade area and park, theirs always a Marta police in the parking lot and in the station, even though its not the best looking station we feel safe, never had any issues their.
Ive used it before too.As well as many suburbanites coming in from Cobb and Douglas conties.Its not nearly as bad as he acts,

Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:

No one has said rail "magically" transforms the area.Thats purely your assumption.
Rail makes an area more desirable for development or redevelopment but if its built in an area where nothing is around it then no its not gonna automatically create development especially if the area is undesireable to start with.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Oakland City.
MARTA considers turning Oakland City station's parking lot into newest transit-oriented development south of I-20 | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Oakland city is seeing increased development also.Not like some of the more popular areas but its is rebounding.
The Fort McPherson redevelopment is not far from there as well.
Adair Park and Capital View which are up and coming areas are not far from there either.So development is happening or planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta