Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
Aside from that, the new stadium isn't even in Smyrna! It falls within the 30339 area code, which of course is an unincorporated area of Cobb County. Oddly enough, the United States Postal Service lists "Atlanta" as the preferred city name for mail to this zip code. Although this area is clearly not in the Atlanta city limits, my understanding is that businesses in the Galleria area fought to have an "Atlanta" zip code many moons ago.

I can understand people being upset about the cost of the stadium, but the location debate is really silly to me.
Its the most pathetic thing i have ever seen on this forum and i frequent the Politics & other Controversy section. the whole ITP vs OTP thing is so ridiculous, ATLANTA IS THE BEST!!! NOTHING GOOD CAN HAPPEN OUTSIDE 285!

I mean seriously, they are building the stadium literally just on the other side of the freeway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 05:58 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
Aside from that, the new stadium isn't even in Smyrna! It falls within the 30339 area code, which of course is an unincorporated area of Cobb County. Oddly enough, the United States Postal Service lists "Atlanta" as the preferred city name for mail to this zip code. Although this area is clearly not in the Atlanta city limits, my understanding is that businesses in the Galleria area fought to have an "Atlanta" zip code many moons ago.

I can understand people being upset about the cost of the stadium, but the location debate is really silly to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
It is extremely silly. You would think the Braves are moving to Rome, GA. Personally I feel the best place for a new baseball stadium would have been the area originally proposed for the Falcons up on Northside Pkwy and Ivan Allen. Being that the CoA wasn't in a position to fund another new stadium (which I understand), the Cumberland location isn't a bad alternative. The current location is cut-off from the downtown core, and the few times there it felt really unsafe. I felt safer attending NY Yankee games in the South Bronx back in the late 70s, than going to games at Turner Field in the 5 years I been here in Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its the most pathetic thing i have ever seen on this forum and i frequent the Politics & other Controversy section. the whole ITP vs OTP thing is so ridiculous, ATLANTA IS THE BEST!!! NOTHING GOOD CAN HAPPEN OUTSIDE 285!

I mean seriously, they are building the stadium literally just on the other side of the freeway...
I promise you it's more about it being Cobb County than any Atlanta/ITP vs non-Atlanta/OTP thing. You have to go wayyyyyy back and look at how Cobb viewed the city and the rest of the metro like they'd rather be their own thing. If the Braves had put it right at 285 and 85 near transit in Doraville after making it known that they were shopping around, you wouldn't get anywhere near the response you guys are seeing.

I think it's silly to keep squabbling over this, it's a done deal and let's move on and enjoy some baseball. But I do find it interesting the people making the comments like the ones above aren't originally from Atlanta....

Old 03-04-2015, 06:13 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I promise you it's more about it being Cobb County than any Atlanta/ITP vs non-Atlanta/OTP thing. You have to go wayyyyyy back
That's just it. The place has changed in the 40+ years since the MARTA vote. Is it perfect? No. But there are a lot of progressive, forward thinking people who have moved here since then, and being lumped in the same basket as the backwards idiots from decades ago is exasperating, just as those who live in Atlanta can, quite rightly, claim that it is no longer Bill Campbell's little fiefdom, and have every reason to be annoyed when people act like or claim that itthen

Now, I am ready for some baseball, no matter where it is played!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
It's not? I've never really lived there for 30+ years, and had no idea. With regard to Manhattan, there was a recent proposal to build a football stadium on the westside a few years ago so that's not the only reason. When Yankee stadium there was already a team in Manhattan (Giants) but when Shea stadium was built, there was plenty of room for a stadium in Manhattan they just chose to build in Queens.
On a side note, Shea being built in Queens was the end result of Robert Moses' desire to move the Dodgers to Flushing Meadows instead of the team's preferred site at Atlantic & Flatbush in Brooklyn. When the team bolted for Los Angeles and the Mets were formed, they had a ready-made stadium site which also had the added benefit of being located next to the 1964-65 World's Fair.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:07 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
None of the sports teams deserve public money.
Regardless of whether the move to Cobb is a good one, this is a statement I can get behind. The question is how this could be legislated on a national level, as that's about the only way I can see public funding of sports stadiums ending.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:54 PM

165 posts, read 169,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Then ask yourself the question: Why is it that this only happens in Atlanta? Why don't baseball stadiums in the cities I mentioned try to bribe their cities to give them money to stay in the city?
A more pertinent question IMO is why is a BILLION DOLLAR corporation not using its own money to build its fantasy playground with an adjacent ICLEI-approved utopian cookie-cutter development instead of siphoning what little money county citizens have (taken out of their paychecks) to improve/maintain its services? ......

Old 03-05-2015, 06:25 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Do you think Atlanta no longer has an opera or ballet company since they moved to Smyna?

Can we no longer claim to have a major daily newspaper because the AJC moved to Sandy Springs?

Did Atlanta lose a bunch of prestigious corporate headquarters when they settled outside the city limits?

Does Atlanta have no claim on the most prestigious private university in the state?

Is Atlanta now dwarfed in population by Charlotte and Jacksonville?

In my opinion this Braves thing is ridiculous. Atlanta is a WHOLE lot more than the city limits.
The guy is just a terrible troll with that Smyrna Braves junk and you are right about it being ridiculous. The Braves stadium is 1 whole mile outside the city limits. If they had moved to Woodstock or Buford by all means complain but that isn't even close to the case. The Braves stadium isn't even in Smyrna and technically neither is the Cobb Performing Arts Center where the opera and ballet are.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:49 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
You Cobb-folk need to move past the city limits thing. Plenty of teams play outside the city limits. The problem is not the city limits, it is Cobb. An Atlanta team should not be moving to somewhere that is so Anti-Atlanta.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:55 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
You Cobb-folk need to move past the city limits thing. Plenty of teams play outside the city limits. The problem is not the city limits, it is Cobb. An Atlanta team should not be moving to somewhere that is so Anti-Atlanta.
It is you and your ilk who are anti-Cobb. I certainly am not anti-Atlanta. I have lived in Cobb for nearly 20 years and have met very few people here who could be construed as "anti-Atlanta." So stop painting with such a broad brush. Cobb's politicians may be one thing, but its citizenry is another.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:56 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
It's not even Cobb, at least not for me, it's the negative regional effects that Cobb and by extension the Braves are forcing on the rest of us. Frankly, if I were the federal secretary of transportation, I'd seriously consider suing for an injunction to stop this from opening due to the interference with interstate commerce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta