Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 01:47 PM

304 posts, read 325,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
From today's ABC e-edition:

"The Atlanta Braves are worth $1.15 billion making them the No. 12 most valuable team in Major League Baseball, according to a new report from Forbes Inc.
Additionally, the report found the Braves have a revenue stream of $267 million and an operating income of $33.2 million."

15 teams are now over the 1 billion mark. I would venture to guess almost all of those 15 have newer stadiums then the bottom 15. Braves had horrible revenue stream at Turner Field, so this is not surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 01:57 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
15 teams are now over the 1 billion mark. I would venture to guess almost all of those 15 have newer stadiums then the bottom 15. Braves had horrible revenue stream at Turner Field, so this is not surprising.
You can thank them for being stupid enough to sign a horrible 25-year TV deal that screwed them out of revenue.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:13 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I continue to be amazed at the anti-Cobb anti-Braves sentiment on this board. If the Braves had announced they were staying south of downtown and that billions of dollars of new investment was coming to the area, people would be doing backflips.
Negative. Not thrilled about the Falcons as it is. But at least they are not being paid from my property taxes, just hotels.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The AJC is crap, no one would want to claim it.
I'd use it - if all my Charmin ran out...

Old 03-25-2015, 02:16 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
Quote:
I continue to be amazed at the anti-Cobb anti-Braves sentiment on this board. If the Braves had announced they were staying south of downtown and that billions of dollars of new investment was coming to the area, people would be doing backflips.
You are just, nevermind...ugh!

Old 03-25-2015, 02:18 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Huh, I hardly see widespread support for the new Falcons stadium. I think I saw maybe one person fighting for Atlanta to hand over hundreds of millions of dollars to keep them in Atlanta.

There was no support for Atlanta getting in a bidding war with Cobb. None.

It really is pretty easy to understand the anti-move sentiment
  • Take a team that is a part of the city, a part of the experience of being in downtown Atlanta, a pretty awesome amenity, and move them far outside of the city to an area that has almost no resemblance to it's namesake. Sure, other teams have done it, but as I recall, they are kinda bland cities that don't have much of a soul. A baseball team that plays downtown adds to the character of the city, this move took a chunk away.
  • Oh how easy it is to forget about the extremely sketchy nature of how this came about. Tim Lee willed it, now it is so. No legitimate chance for the citizens of Cobb to stop it. This is such a major point and so many people that like this move seem to just gloss straight over it.
  • Access sucks. The stadium location really screws over the southside, and IMO, anyone east of the new stadium. If I lived in Gwinnett, 78, etc I would rather drive downtown that the top end. No good alternates. Ugh.
In the end, Cobb got the raw end of this deal. Much of my objection to this comes from the perspective of a potential future Cobb County citizen. What happened to Metro Atlanta's fiscally conservative county? They had no business getting in the business of large handouts to sports teams. At this point, I'm much less likely to move there in the future. Sucks, because there are many areas of Cobb I like. Oh well

Old 03-25-2015, 07:11 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
MLB Worth $36 Billion As Team Values Hit Record $1.2 Billion Average - Forbes
List of Major League Baseball stadiums - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Default The Braves will save the Cobb County School District

Cobb schools head: Tax revenue under projections ? but Braves are coming - Atlanta Business Chronicle
SPLODT revenue is below projections, but the Braves development will save the day!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:48 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Cobb schools head: Tax revenue under projections ? but Braves are coming - Atlanta Business Chronicle
SPLODT revenue is below projections, but the Braves development will save the day!
Brought to you by the same county that allows people who are 65+ to pay far less property taxes than those who are still trying to raise their kids.

To me that's almost as disgusting as Cobb's financing the new Braves stadium.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:46 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Brought to you by the same county that allows people who are 65+ to pay far less property taxes than those who are still trying to raise their kids.

To me that's almost as disgusting as Cobb's financing the new Braves stadium.
A lot of older folks are on a fixed income. Don't they do the same thing in a lot of other places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta