Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:06 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,965 times

Advertisements

I feel like you are advocating for some measure of segregation, so that you know where the crime is going to be. Your comments, while I get and to an extent agree, in regards to crime patterns, leave me feeling conflicted. On the one hand I'm pleased that Atlanta is integrated enough that there isn't one "bad neighborhood" where all the murders happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:41 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I feel like you are advocating for some measure of segregation, so that you know where the crime is going to be. Your comments, while I get and to an extent agree, in regards to crime patterns, leave me feeling conflicted. On the one hand I'm pleased that Atlanta is integrated enough that there isn't one "bad neighborhood" where all the murders happen.
I do not advocate for segregation at all. As I stated, I used to live in Virginia Highland and that neighborhood is very much mostly white. The same can be said for Buckhead, where I also used to live.

I really don't think that the crime happening in those neighborhoods is because Atlanta is more integrated, it is because criminals leave their neighborhoods and come into those neighborhoods to commit crime. In Atlanta it seems that you don't have to be a black male from a poor, dangerous neighborhood to get shot on the street. You can be a white-collar professional walking down the street, and get shot and killed in Atlanta while being robbed.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I do not advocate for segregation at all. As I stated, I used to live in Virginia Highland and that neighborhood is very much mostly white. The same can be said for Buckhead, where I also used to live.

I really don't think that the crime happening in those neighborhoods is because Atlanta is more integrated, it is because criminals leave their neighborhoods and come into those neighborhoods to commit crime. In Atlanta it seems that you don't have to be a black male from a poor, dangerous neighborhood to get shot on the street. You can be a white-collar professional walking down the street, and get shot and killed in Atlanta while being robbed.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:54 PM

850 posts, read 796,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

Atlanta has always had crime issues, believe it or not its actually better than it was like 10 years ago however with the influx of people moving here and more populated the city gets it will have crime issues like any other city that being said everyone that I have worked with or met was a victim of a car jacking, break in, etc.

When I lived in Chicago which has one of the highest crime rates in the US even though most of it is toward the south side, I didn't encounter or met anyone that had issues in the city.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:13 AM

183 posts, read 249,502 times
Quote:
Case in point:

2 dead in Little Five Points shooting | www.wsbtv.com

Just another example of what I've been saying: That Atlanta's shootings don't just happen in the hood to criminal black males. L5P is a hip and trendy neighborhood in Atlanta and both victims were white males. And accordig to the article, "Police are working to determine if the killings are connected to an armed robbery that happened about 10 minutes before, just over a mile to the north, in Virginia Highlands."

L5P is one of my favorite Atlanta neighborhoods, by the way, and I used to live in Virginia-Highland (which I loved), which is an upper-class neighborhood with $1.5 million homes. So like I've been saying, Atlanta's crime is more random and happens in the good neighborhoods just the same, while with Chicago it's a lot easier to tell people where they can avoid.

I work in the hospitality industry and I'm in direct contact with travelers every single day. I spoke with a business traveler a couple of weeks ago who lives in Decatur. I told him that I just moved here last year from Atlanta and I used to work near where he lives. He said crime is getting bad there and he also mentioned the woman who got killed in downtown Decatur, another nice, well-to-do area that I also liked.
Unfortunately, random crime happens in every city and sometimes to the most unlikeliest of people.

Quote:
According to a Chicago Police Department Crime Summary Map seen by MyFoxChicago, there have been 17 robberies in the same police district as Emanuel's home between Nov. 20 and Dec. 13.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's son mugged outside family home | Fox News
The bottomline is, Atlanta's crime rate is higher than it should be. Let's hope more effective methods can be used to decrease it.

I'm done with this topic.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:36 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
How dare you minimize the pain and suffering of others just because you have been fortunate enough to not be a victim yourself.
And how dare YOU accuse me of such a thing.

You need to back off and bring it down a couple of notches. If you actually have been the victim of a crime, I'm sorry. I have lived here over 20 years and have not been. Deal with it.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And how dare YOU accuse me of such a thing.

You need to back off and bring it down a couple of notches. If you actually have been the victim of a crime, I'm sorry. I have lived here over 20 years and have not been. Deal with it.
I don't need to bring down anything. I'm sorry that openly discussing Atlanta's crime problems upsets you. That doesn't take away from your love of the city (as it shouldn't).

Some people need do deal with the fact that Atlanta has a bad crime problem, with a crime rate higher than America's largest major cities, which many of the Atlanta boosters seem to be in denial about.

I'm happy for your great fortune to have never been a victim. Why on Earth would I be upset about that? I don't wish that on anyone.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Atlanta has always had crime issues, believe it or not its actually better than it was like 10 years ago however with the influx of people moving here and more populated the city gets it will have crime issues like any other city that being said everyone that I have worked with or met was a victim of a car jacking, break in, etc.

When I lived in Chicago which has one of the highest crime rates in the US even though most of it is toward the south side, I didn't encounter or met anyone that had issues in the city.
No Chicago doesn't have one highest crime rates in the country. It's not even in the top 25. You would think it is based on raw numbers and what with the gang problems. But both Atlanta and Chicago have falling rates, which is great news.

Also, not all of the south side is bad. The southwest side neighborhood I am from is one of the safest in the city and is very pristine and quite, despite being borderd by two of the most dangerous and there are other nice neighborhoods on the south side.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 03-15-2015 at 06:26 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Unfortunately, random crime happens in every city and sometimes to the most unlikeliest of people.

The bottomline is, Atlanta's crime rate is higher than it should be. Let's hope more effective methods can be used to decrease it.

I'm done with this topic.
I agree with you completely and the mayor's young son being robbed is deplorable. However, the difference that I have noticed between Chicago and Atlanta is, that in Chicago in MOST cases robbers just rough their victims up, or not hurt anyone. They take what they want and leave. In Atlanta, robbers often not only stick up their victims, they also shoot and kill them or beat them within inches of their lives.

I have noticed this with crime news I have read in both cities. Even with the people that I personally know in both cities who have been robbed I have noticed this. The Chicago robbery victims I know were never physically harmed or a little roughed up. The victims I know in Atlanta were either killed or very severely beaten and hospitalized.

One of my former colleagues in Atlanta was a victim of a home invasion (something that happens a lot in metro Atlanta) and was very badly beaten. I don't know anyone in Chicago who's had a home invasion.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 03-15-2015 at 07:05 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,504 times
I'm considering a relocation from Jacksonville to Atlanta as well. I'm a guy, also in my mid 30's and looking specifically at Midtown because of what it offers...walkability, tons of things to do both during the day, and at night and of course Piedmont Park and all it's festivals. I haven't moved yet, so I don't have a local's perspective on it, however, while the area SEEMS safe and walkable, if you pull up crime maps on Midtown, the picture it paints is quite an alarming one. And then when you look up reviews on Midtown, some paint a good picture, others make it seem like such a bad place to live. I'm not necessarily concerned with non-violent crime (theft etc.), that happens everywhere, but more so with muggings and the gun crime there. However when you speak to locals who live there, you'll get two distinctly split viewpoints. There's a group who'll tell you they feel perfectly safe and walk around everywhere day and night, but do know of people who've had crime incidents (comforting) and then a group who'll tell you Midtown is crime riddled and don't walk around anywhere after 6p. So I haven't quite figured out what the real deal is yet...and I guess I'll have a better perspective once I'm actually living there. A little background on me, I've been to large cities all over the world including SUPPOSED dangerous cities like Rio de Janeiro. One thing I noticed is that people's perspectives online sometimes tend to make a place sound way worse than it is. I understand that city crime happens all over the place and there are bad people everywhere. However, unlike when I travel on business or vacations where I'm with my friends and coworkers, I'm going to be alone for a while in Midtown until I meet people and make my friends....and I don't entirely want to have a paranoid feeling every time I step foot outside of my apartment in Midtown. Being vigilant and observant is all fine and dandy, but when you have armed gunmen who seem to mug people in groups of 2 or more....they're going to mug you whether you're observant or not. Any Atlanta topic seems to turn into crime, which is a little worrisome to me. Case and point....this entire dialogue. Any true locals have any opinions on this? As some of the local posters here have said some frightening things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta