Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:08 AM

209 posts, read 276,376 times

Advertisements

He keeps his hands off our airport, we keep our hands off his Butts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 09:52 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
My point wasn't about historic state vs city antagonism or where Atlanta's local leaders were born and raised. It's the fact that local leaders, as opposed to state government, are primarily responsible for Atlanta's growth and development over the years.
Well, it was my point. Atlantans are Georgians. Those that made the city what it is embraced the state. The state in which Atlanta stands made Atlanta possible. You don't see an Atlanta in SC, AL or MS do you? Or any other southern state for that matter...

The state vs. Atlanta is an interesting drama for sure, not saying there isn't political wrangling on urban vs. rural or big city vs. second tier cities going on. That would be living in a vacuum as well. But this current antagonistic attitude against the state is childish and does no one any good. Thankfully it isn't as pronounced in real life as the pundits on sites like this would suggest it is.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:16 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Well, it was my point. Atlantans are Georgians. Those that made the city what it is embraced the state. The state in which Atlanta stands made Atlanta possible. You don't see an Atlanta in SC, AL or MS do you? Or any other southern state for that matter...
Well a big reason for that is how the state lines were drawn; Georgia had the good fortune of having the eastern continental divide within its state borders, and the spot where Terminus was founded happens to be central to a huge chunk of the Southeastern U.S., making it a perfect spot for transportation and logistics. Otherwise, the largest city in any state is naturally a draw for people all throughout the state (and beyond); Atlanta isn't unique in that respect.

Quote:
The state vs. Atlanta is an interesting drama for sure, not saying there isn't political wrangling on urban vs. rural or big city vs. second tier cities going on. That would be living in a vacuum as well. But this current antagonistic attitude against the state is childish and does no one any good. Thankfully it isn't as pronounced in real life as the pundits on sites like this would suggest it is.
Do you actually think it's unfounded though? The antagonism of the city towards the state seems to be a reaction from my perspective.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:38 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
The state does nothing for Atlanta. In fact, they hold it back from what the city could truly become. It's no wonder cities like Seattle are beginning to pass Atlanta as being as being world class is concerned. It's no wonder the best we come up with as far as transit is a 2 mile streetcar line. It's no wonder MARTA gets little to no funding. Cities across the country are building up their transit. We are doing little to nothing and that's the state's fault.

Sorry, but why are Atlantans not allowed to be opposed to the state when the state has been opposed to Atlanta since it became a relevant city? Are we supposed to suck off the GOP leadership in this state?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:26 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
My antagonism toward the State of Georgia has been earned over a long 36 year period.
I moved here in 1979 with a blank slate as regards the Atlanta vs. Georgia political & economic wranglings & relations but I've paid attention over the years & come to draw my own conclusions.
Although I've repeatedly been aggravated at Atlanta city government over those 36 years, & no longer live in the COA for no reasons that are the fault of the city, I still recall the many times that I as a city resident felt that a finger had been figuratively poked in my eye by virtue of the actions of some bumbling duffous in the legislature or via the anti-Atlanta rantings historically found on Atlanta area talk radio shows.
I doubt that I'll live long enough to ever see a sea change in the COA vs. out-state relationship.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:27 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The state does nothing for Atlanta.
How about stuff like Centennial Olympic park, the World Congress Center, Liberty plaza, all the state office buildings, the major streetscape upgrades to Peachtree, 10th, Marietta, 14th, 5th, Ivan Allen, Ponce, the major bridges, Georgia Tech, GSU, etc.?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:30 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,965 times
Most of upstate NY is antagonistic to NYC. However, state legislators understand where their real money comes from and where the economic engine is for the state.

So antagonism between city and country folks is nothing new. But legislating that antagonism seems to be a Georgia, shoot ourselves in the foot, way of doing things.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:18 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How about stuff like Centennial Olympic park, the World Congress Center, Liberty plaza, all the state office buildings, the major streetscape upgrades to Peachtree, 10th, Marietta, 14th, 5th, Ivan Allen, Ponce, the major bridges, Georgia Tech, GSU, etc.?
Georgia Tech, Georgia State....

Old 03-11-2015, 12:24 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yeah, you give me a call when they dedicate a state funding source for the existing regional mass transit infrastructure, i.e., MARTA.

Oh yeah, most of the streets you have spoken on are also state routes or U.S highways and the major state buildings are because it is the state capital, so those are all a given. The Centennial Olympic Park is a freebie because Atlanta did host the Summer Olympics. The only thing on that list I will give is the Georgia World Congress Center...

Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The state does nothing for Atlanta.
I won't say that, but practically everything it has done and does is obligatory...nothing truly progressive or groundbreaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta