Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2016, 10:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
How does that incident rate compare to Memorial? It's less than a mile away, a parallel route, a similar commuting corridor, and also has reversible lanes. The conclusion of the Imagine Memorial study was that the reversible lanes are an effective method of increasing capacity on an arterial route, and could safely be EXPANDED on that corridor with improved signage and signaling solutions.
Please link documentation of such claims. I have spoken to executive director of imagine memorial and he disagrees with above claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 12:15 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,124 times
Quote:
because of Memorial Drive’s arterial function, reversible lanes actually serve the corridor well, despite concerns about safety. In effect, they double capacity during peak hours without the need to acquire additional right-of-way (ROW). For this reason, the reversible lane could be an advantage to the surrounding businesses and neighborhoods if safety is addressed.

Currently, there are several dangerous transitions from standard lanes to IIIf reversible lanes are made more consistent along the length of the corridor, travel will be more predictable and safer. Advances with in-road lighting and signage are now available. With a comprehension will be increased and the functional advantages of reversible lanes can be utilized without constant fear of safety Ialong the corridor in Figures 2 and 3

One possible enhancement of directional indication are supplementary surface level indicators that work in conjunction with the in-place overhead indicators. In-ground indication has had maintenance and functionality concerns in past projects but and provide clear communication of variable barriers. Figure 8

Straight from archibongs own website.

http://citycouncil.atlantaga.gov/Mem...afficFinal.pdf

I'm hoping now that I've provided linked documentation as you've requested you'll carefully consider it, instead of discarding it as irrelevant because it does not fit within your narrow purview for Deklab.

I would t have as much problem with the removal of the reversible lanes, if there weren't simultaneous projects aimed at improving transporting and safety in the same corridor with essentially competing messages. On Dekalb, they are the devil and need to be removed at all costs. A mile away on Memorial, they serve a good purpose and can be made safer with some upgrades. Which is it? Whatever fits the narrative we are trying to spin? Doesn't matter what the director of imagine memorial wants if it's not supported by data and reason.

It's just troubling that the messaging for these two projects seems to disagree on this important shared challenge, yet we are charging full steam ahead. You'd think there would be some concensus on important issues like this, but that's not the case. Are the imagine memorial folks incorrect in their assessment? Are the Dekalb folks starting from a baseline assumption that the reversible lanes need to go to accommodate bikes instead of actually considering improvements to them? If the corridor is indeed a "blank slate" as the Renew Atlanta people have said, why is this option off the table from the get go?

Last edited by red92s; 11-26-2016 at 12:36 PM..

Old 11-26-2016, 04:46 PM

561 posts, read 780,874 times
I'm a fan of complete streets, but I've never seen the problem with the concept of reversible lanes.

Are human beings that stupid that we can't read simple signs and adhere to simple concepts?

I guess the answer is a resounding "yes".

I doesn't surprise me though. This is the same society that can't figure out how to "keep right except to pass" on the freeways, or doesn't know not to block intersections when traffic is backed up.

The problem isn't necessarily the engineering. The problem is human beings.

Sorry for ranting. Maybe I'm tired of our society spending money because of human stupidity.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Straight from archibongs own website.

http://citycouncil.atlantaga.gov/Mem...afficFinal.pdf

I'm hoping now that I've provided linked documentation as you've requested you'll carefully consider it, instead of discarding it as irrelevant because it does not fit within your narrow purview for Deklab.

I would t have as much problem with the removal of the reversible lanes, if there weren't simultaneous projects aimed at improving transporting and safety in the same corridor with essentially competing messages. On Dekalb, they are the devil and need to be removed at all costs. A mile away on Memorial, they serve a good purpose and can be made safer with some upgrades. Which is it? Whatever fits the narrative we are trying to spin? Doesn't matter what the director of imagine memorial wants if it's not supported by data and reason.

It's just troubling that the messaging for these two projects seems to disagree on this important shared challenge, yet we are charging full steam ahead. You'd think there would be some concensus on important issues like this, but that's not the case. Are the imagine memorial folks incorrect in their assessment? Are the Dekalb folks starting from a baseline assumption that the reversible lanes need to go to accommodate bikes instead of actually considering improvements to them? If the corridor is indeed a "blank slate" as the Renew Atlanta people have said, why is this option off the table from the get go?
This is where you and the media stir s**t up when it is not about cars vs bikes, but improving safety along the corridor for all modes of transportation.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:45 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,124 times
Right. We could improve safety for all modes of transportation by upgrading the signaling and signage, while simultaneously upgrading existing parallel bike corridors. We both want the same things, and are both unddrstandly prioritizing our own needs over those of others to get there.

You asked for the link, I provided it. Stop moving the goal posts for what's pertinant information here.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Right. We could improve safety for all modes of transportation by upgrading the signaling and signage, while simultaneously upgrading existing parallel bike corridors. We both want the same things, and are both unddrstandly prioritizing our own needs over those of others to get there.

You asked for the link, I provided it. Stop moving the goal posts for what's pertinant information here.
I'd be thrilled with the extension of the PATH to Inman Park Reynoldstown Station and Edgewood Ave.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:34 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Why not just reduce DeKalb from 3 to 2 lanes and give the cyclists some protected lanes?

There are plenty of alternative E-W routes for auto traffic (e.g., McLendon, Hosea Williams, Memorial, Ponce, etc.)

Old 11-26-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why not just reduce DeKalb from 3 to 2 lanes and give the cyclists some protected lanes?

There are plenty of alternative E-W routes for auto traffic (e.g., McLendon, Hosea Williams, Memorial, Ponce, etc.)
It's also safer for all modes of transportation, including driver as the removal of the contraflow lane would allow protected left turn lanes. How is this even a question?

Old 11-26-2016, 08:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
I'm a fan of complete streets, but I've never seen the problem with the concept of reversible lanes.

Are human beings that stupid that we can't read simple signs and adhere to simple concepts?

I guess the answer is a resounding "yes".

I doesn't surprise me though. This is the same society that can't figure out how to "keep right except to pass" on the freeways, or doesn't know not to block intersections when traffic is backed up.

The problem isn't necessarily the engineering. The problem is human beings.

Sorry for ranting. Maybe I'm tired of our society spending money because of human stupidity.
For DeKalb, they're useless and disallow the implementation of a center turn-lane.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:34 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It's also safer for all modes of transportation, including driver as the removal of the contraflow lane would allow protected left turn lanes. How is this even a question?
Agreed. Hopefully the people resisting this will come to their senses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta