Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:21 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times

Advertisements

the placement of this high school is incredibly intentional, given its proximity to west forsyth high school. it is to divide the lower income and minority neighbourhoods away from the higher end all-white neighbourhoods closer to west forsyth and south forsyth. i lived in the area for years and this has been going on for a long time; it looks like it is still occurring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the placement of this high school is incredibly intentional, given its proximity to west forsyth high school. it is to divide the lower income and minority neighbourhoods away from the higher end all-white neighbourhoods closer to west forsyth and south forsyth. i lived in the area for years and this has been going on for a long time; it looks like it is still occurring.

But didn't you say the same thing about South Forsyth? That Lambert siphoned off the whiteness?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
But didn't you say the same thing about South Forsyth? That Lambert siphoned off the whiteness?
it did for the time being, but that was 5 years ago. i'm not saying that forsyth doesn't need more high schools; they do. i'm just saying that the placement of these high schools is deliberate in regards to race and economic status. they know what they're doing.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
it did for the time being, but that was 5 years ago. i'm not saying that forsyth doesn't need more high schools; they do. i'm just saying that the placement of these high schools is deliberate in regards to race and economic status. they know what they're doing.
How would you compare South Forsyth and Lambert now?

Roughly similar demographics and status?

And how does West Forsyth compare to the other two?

Old 03-17-2015, 01:17 AM

west forsyth is probably the most conservative and segregated. lambert at this point is a lot more diverse, there are many more asians and blacks in the area than there were even 5 years ago, although it remains a very rich area. south forsyth is probably the poorest and there is still a redneck vibe to it, although there are a lot of blacks and hispanics from the southwest portion of the county (where the subject high school is to be placed) that are a much larger presence in the school than they were when i went there.

at some point of course, they're going to run out of ways to gerrymander the school system. the county is simply diversifying too quickly even for the notoriously corrupt forsyth county board of education to quash.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:55 AM

225 posts, read 277,801 times
Just take the random name generator that developers use to create sub-division names, and repurpose it for naming a school that serves those sub-divisions. For instance, Creek Haven High School or Forest Bend High School.

Real Estate Subdivision Name Generator

Old 03-17-2015, 06:25 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,549 times
Sprawling High

Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
west forsyth is probably the most conservative and segregated. lambert at this point is a lot more diverse, there are many more asians and blacks in the area than there were even 5 years ago, although it remains a very rich area. south forsyth is probably the poorest and there is still a redneck vibe to it, although there are a lot of blacks and hispanics from the southwest portion of the county (where the subject high school is to be placed) that are a much larger presence in the school than they were when i went there.

at some point of course, they're going to run out of ways to gerrymander the school system. the county is simply diversifying too quickly even for the notoriously corrupt forsyth county board of education to quash.
You say South Forsyth is the poorest, but would you still consider it upper-middle class?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:42 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Free Lunches By HS
Lambert 5% West & South 12% North 25% Central 30%

Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post
Just take the random name generator that developers use to create sub-division names, and repurpose it for naming a school that serves those sub-divisions. For instance, Creek Haven High School or Forest Bend High School.

Real Estate Subdivision Name Generator
That is great. I like Bear Crest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta