Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Most companies do verify salary now-a-days which is why it is better to just steer the conversation toward what you are expecting to make.

I agree with other posters though in that most won't ask you your current salary. I have also interviewed a lot of people and I never ask them what they make and I never tell them the salary of the job as I am in agreement with what was mentioned - you negotiate that after an offer.
I've never heard of that happening. How can a company verify your salary? Does ADP give that information out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 12:00 PM

371 posts, read 456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm surprised you're making so little in the Tech field. I'm looking for jobs here in Atlanta, Seattle, D.C., and Boston and even here in Atlanta, the lowest I've been seeing is around 55k-60k a year for a Entry level Software engineer.

I feel like tech-related salaries are lower in Atlanta compared to other cities. Entry level developers start around 35k. But if the OP has been in the field for years, I agree that he should definitely be making more than that! "Tech" is becoming somewhat of a broad category nowadays, so I'm sure it depends on what exactly your skills are. Perhaps software engineers have a higher starting salary than other tech jobs? Because 55-60k for entry level is definitely not the average.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:00 PM

251 posts, read 257,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I've never heard of that happening. How can a company verify your salary? Does ADP give that information out?
Usually on the application it'll ask if they can contact your current and former employers. If you say no, they shouldn't contact them. But you probably want to at least say that they can contact your former employers as it could seems suspicious if you don't want anyone contacted.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:42 PM

787 posts, read 968,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm surprised you're making so little in the Tech field. I'm looking for jobs here in Atlanta, Seattle, D.C., and Boston and even here in Atlanta, the lowest I've been seeing is around 55k-60k a year for a Entry level Software engineer.
My job is based in Cincinnati, they are contractors for other hugh companies, currently our main contract is with GE. I came in at a time when they had just won a contract bid by bidding the lowest, in other words charging the least theirfore they will pay the least, they went on a hiring spree (we still don't have enough employees.). At the time I was a contractor for another company. I took this job because it was a permanent position with your typical benefits (which I didn't have as a contractor) and I was able to work remotely allowing me to move back hear which I wanted to do. The plan was to look for a higher paying job down here once I've been their a year, so here I am.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:52 PM

668 posts, read 993,989 times
Also, be patient. If it has only been a week or two and you haven't heard back, don't be discouraged. It's more than likely you have just spoken with the initial HR screener. They are just putting everyone who meets a specific profile into a bucket, and will often wait until they hit a certain threshold of qualified applicants before moving you along to the next step. I just recently received an offer with a company that I first approached me back in October. That's six months even though the I and the hiring manager were highly motivated to make something happen. While it seems on your end that even a day or two without some type of communication signifies a lack of interest, it really just means that the HR wheels are turning very slowly. The larger the company, the slower they seem to turn.

Also, when the question comes up, be honest and tell them. They have ways of finding out anyway, and trust me, they will remember if they catch you in a lie. In the majority of cases within business these days, your earning potential with a single employer is always going to be pegged to the salary you accept when you first entered. The days of decent annual pay increases are over, and many employees have become conditioned to be happy with a 1-2% COLA increase. Changing companies every 3-4 years is the main way of making sure to maximize your earning potential, so people are going to expect that you are looking for a decent increase when making a move.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:22 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
Usually on the application it'll ask if they can contact your current and former employers. If you say no, they shouldn't contact them. But you probably want to at least say that they can contact your former employers as it could seems suspicious if you don't want anyone contacted.
I always say 'no' to that question. Seems stupid to let your current employer know that you're out job hunting

Old 03-19-2015, 03:09 PM

787 posts, read 968,418 times
A lot of good information in here. Thanks so much everyone!

Old 03-19-2015, 04:55 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Damn...I didn't know they verify your salary

Disregard my advice then
Yeah, we need someone to just delete your bad advice.

As an aside, I think I had to submit some application listing salary history AFTER the interview, but before the offer. If you don't want to be honest or disclose, there are plenty of people that will.

If you're looking at a ratchet job like McDonald's they probably don't care or don't verify, but in the corporate jobs, they will.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:21 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,855 times
My last employer used E-Verify. While working there, I had access to the application so I ran it on myself because I was curious. It showed my entire work history and complete salary information. So, yes they can find out. Just spare yourself the headache and give a range when negotiating pay.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:52 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
A lot of good information in here. Thanks so much everyone!
This is a good thread with lots of good information. Thanks for starting it, Larry.

Hope your job search goes well! Hang tough and make them pay you what you are worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: