Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:30 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,237,880 times

Advertisements

I bought my house through the Zac Team. They have the corniest schtick but they're knowledgeable (sp?) of the area. Ask for Andrew Gilbert. He's young but he's very easy to work with. Not pushy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:26 PM

216 posts, read 826,981 times
Default Moving to decatur soon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
I would look in Decatur but also Virginia Highland and even check out a few highrises in Midtown. There's a very active Chabad in midtown that has great networking events and is the most welcoming group of people I've ever encountered. Rabbi and his wife are wonderful, even if you're just there for a random event. Lots of other orgs and a very active JCC in the Dunwoody area which you may also like. Much more suburban but very nice. But if you're looking for diverse and liberal, the top two choices are the place I'd look.
I've heard very good things about the Marcus (?) JCC, looking forward to investigating there.

My ATL boyfriend met some folks from a group called APPLE- JEWS; all transplants from up here. Great name, huh?
Chabad centers are mostly wonderful, at least in my experience. I took classes for women at the local one here; led by the Rabbi. Fantastic.

Thanks all,

marilyn

Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 PM

216 posts, read 826,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I bought my house through the Zac Team. They have the corniest schtick but they're knowledgeable (sp?) of the area. Ask for Andrew Gilbert. He's young but he's very easy to work with. Not pushy.
A broker who isn't pushy? That doesn't exist up here, believe me.
I assume they're in Decatur? I'll check them out.

Thank you

mse

Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,749,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
[color=Green]Smyrna,Vinings,Cumberland are too suburban for a Nyer who wants an intown environment. I've lived there and they are good compromises if commuting is an issue but not ideal. Ditto Sandy Springs. I'd also question the liberal, intellectual vibe she's looking for being available. Those areas tend to be more conservative and, I have to be careful here, the focus is probably on family activities more than "intellectual, cultural" ones. you know, sports, outdoor fun. etc.
First of all, she is from the NYC area, not from Murray Hill or Soho, right? Most of the NYC area is suburban even by Atlanta standards -- even some large tracts of NYC itself. I'm from Connecticut and have been all over metro NYC many times, so I know what I'm talking about :-)

How long ago did you live in Smyrna/Vinings? A large population of the Smyrna/Vinings area are Northern transplants especially for the last three years, so as far as liberal goes, I don't see any shortage here as compared to anywhere else. If considering midtown/Buckhead, that's one thing but if extending the search to Decatur, I wouldn't limit her to just that side of the city. I don't see Decatur as much less suburban than Smyrna or Sandy Springs, however Sandy Springs has heavy rail and Cobb county doesn't have rail transit (yet). Focus of Smyrna/Vinings is more on social activities (e.g. clubs, events) than intellectual ones per-se, but I wouldn't say it's more on sporting and outdoor fun -- that makes Vinings and Smyrna sound sort of hickish, especially when the average lot size for single family homes is under 1/2 acre and most people live in townhomes. Now, if you are talking about the great parks and bike trails that the area has, then I'd agree with you.

On an aside, there's only really one true city in metro Atlanta besides Atlanta itself -- and that's Marietta which used to be its own metro area and has a historic downtown. Other than that, they are all suburbs that have grown up, including Decatur.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 AM

314 posts, read 1,274,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post

On an aside, there's only really one true city in metro Atlanta besides Atlanta itself -- and that's Marietta which used to be its own metro area and has a historic downtown. Other than that, they are all suburbs that have grown up, including Decatur.
Decatur is older than Atlanta...and more urban than Marietta...not to take anything away from Marietta, its a nice town for sure.

Last edited by meadgrad; 01-16-2008 at 05:56 AM..

Old 01-16-2008, 07:25 AM

849 posts, read 3,518,577 times
Unhappy no need to get nasty

answers within message

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
First of all, she is from the NYC area, not from Murray Hill or Soho, right? Most of the NYC area is suburban even by Atlanta standards -- even some large tracts of NYC itself. I'm from Connecticut and have been all over metro NYC many times, so I know what I'm talking about :-) I'm from the very urbanized part of NJ around Hoboken and I got the feeling she's looking for a Manhattan vibe. I also know what I'm talking about so no need for personal slurs.

How long ago did you live in Smyrna/Vinings? Admittedly a number of years ago with more recent visits.

A large population of the Smyrna/Vinings area are Northern transplants especially for the last three years, so as far as liberal goes, I don't see any shortage here as compared to anywhere else.
Hmmm, and they don't move down because their values are more conservative??? Interesting. The Yankees I knew hated the liberalism and pc-ness of the NE. They embraced the "family values" culture of Cobb county.

If considering midtown/Buckhead, that's one thing but if extending the search to Decatur, I wouldn't limit her to just that side of the city. I don't see Decatur as much less suburban than Smyrna or Sandy Springs,

Yeah, I agree. That was my point. See asked about Decatur. I can't exactly see someone who's so NY hip wanting Decatur unless she's including the area around Emory which some of the rental mags. do.

however
Sandy Springs has heavy rail and Cobb county doesn't have rail transit (yet). Focus of Smyrna/Vinings is more on social activities (e.g. clubs, events) than intellectual ones per-se, but I wouldn't say it's more on sporting and outdoor fun -- that makes Vinings and Smyrna sound sort of hickish,

Social activities was the word I was going for so as not to say hickish because that's not fair. Somehow I don't think the OP cares about bike trails and hanging out with families with school age kids. Even tho she said she has a pooch, she didn't mention parks.

especially when the average lot size for single family homes is under 1/2 acre and most people live in townhomes. Now, if you are talking about the great parks and bike trails that the area has, then I'd agree with you.

My aside is that when someone says hip,intellectual NY, I think of great, small, neighborhood restaurants, foreign film art houses, off Broadway and small avante garde gallery openings with maybe a small book discussion group that doesn't need Oprah to compel it's choices.

Those things can probably be best found around Emory and in Midtown/Arts District. I was just thinking OP wouldn't want to travel too far especially by car. She may own a house but that could be within the City like Riverdale, parts of Brooklyn or Forest Hills where great public transportation is still avliable.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta