Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 08:08 PM

11 posts, read 57,769 times

Advertisements

I moved to Atl last year and currently staying in Sandy Springs Area. I work in Buckhead in IT field. Searching for affordable housing in the area, I stumbled upon some new townhome properties in Brookhaven near Dresden, Brairwood rd. I like the proximity of the place to Buckhead. However I was wondering about the location as it doesnt appear to be the prettiest by any means. Especially the Buford Hwy area is very next to it. Also with a price tag of 300k for a townhome, I was wondering if the place is worth it. I am engaged about to get married but dont have to worry about school districts. Really in a dilemma as I find areas like roswell and aplharetta appealing except for the commute. There is not much information avalaible about Brookhaven area in this forum.Can someone please advise me how it compares to nicer parts of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 08:12 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
The area you are looking in is really Chamblee or Doraville, but has just adopted the name Brookhaven recently. It is an up and coming area, but how long it will take to really completely turn around is anyone's guess.

It is a great location and I suspect that many of the people settling in where you are looking are young and professional like yourself. The schools over there are horrible so I am guessing no families -- yet. It is a very convienient location and I suspect that it will be a totally different place in about 5 or 10 years, but there are no guarantees.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:26 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Lots of changes in that area over the past 5 years. Much of the new development began closer to Peachtree and the Marta station. Pretty big gamble at $300K if too close to Buford Hwy & Clairmont. Too many really old apts and small houses turned into check-cashing businesses IMO. You might check out the new developments and conversions along Ashford-Dunwoody Rd.(near Blackburn Tennis Ctr as well as Villa Sonoma--closer to 285).

Heck, we'd love for you to stay in Sandy Springs--lots of new townhomes along Johnson Ferry w/access to 400 and Roswell Rd.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:28 AM

297 posts, read 1,538,157 times
I know exactly the area you are talking about, and it is actually not as bad as you might think. The part of Briarwood closer to North Druid Hills is nicer, but I think from a safety standpoint the whole street is fine. You are correct that Buford Highway can be a mixed area, but you can avoid Buford Highway from those townhomes (if you choose to do so). Also, $300K for a townhome in that area is quite a nice deal.... you are a stone's throw from some of the nicest homes in Atlanta, and there is so much within five minutes of your front door. By the way, Briarwood is usually considered part of Brookhaven Fields, not Brookhaven proper. I would seriously consider it!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
There are some brand-new townhomes in that same area starting under $250K for 3 beds, 3.5 baths. I saw an ad on craigslist recently for them. Check those out - it's best to get in as low as you can, even if you have to sacrifice a few amenities. That way, future appreciation and sales will be better.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. This was of great help. I have shortlisted a townhome on Brairwood and probably move forward for sheer covenience of the location. Within exactly 2 miles it puts me in the heart of buckhead, lenoxmall and offfices. Hopefully it will be a fine place to stay till we have children.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:30 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
If you want a nice area and a short commute to Buckhead, check out the new developments in the Ashford Dunwoody area:

Danbury Parc
Turnbury Gates
Ashford Creek
Ivey Place on the Park

These would be about 4 miles to the Lenox Mall area.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:12 PM

I checked the ones mentioned on Craigslist under 250k . Those one are right on Buford Hwy and hence not an option for me. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta