Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:03 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times

Advertisements

If you are definitely moving to Chicago, then Univ of Illinois will likely help you the most. I know a vast majority of their alumni end up in Chicago, so you would have a better chance at networking.

On the flip side, I really think attending an in-person program is best for learning and meeting other people (I did my MBA at Georgia State).

Also, I would put a heavy emphasis on costs. At this level you are looking at, go to a school that will give you the least amount of debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 07:39 PM

53 posts, read 48,324 times
None of the above. Get a real Masters.

I did an MBA several years ago (from a private legitimate university) and it's done absolutely nothing for me except tell me I never want to be a manager. Unless you're seriously planning to run a business as a high level person, don't waste your money. I wish I'd spent it on an engineering masters or my airplane project instead of the MBA.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:49 PM

276 posts, read 430,703 times
It does make a difference if you plan on relying on the network to help you get a job. In addition, some apps will ask you if you got your degree online. To me, you only ask that question if you plan on doing something with the information so you might want to be really sure you want an online MBA. MBAs are really about the networking. It is difficult to do that online.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:01 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times
If you are able to pursue an MBA (or anything else) on an actual university campus, why would you even consider doing so online? I can't imagine a scenario where any online option would be best.

Online education is designed for people who have to work around jobs and family obligations, or might not be located in an area with a university nearby. There's no way to replicate the experience of attending classes with like-minded students, interacting with them and the professors, etc. Also, many MBA classes involve group projects and presentations -- something that cannot be done online. Personally, I'd choose Georgia State over the others on your list. More bang for the buck.

Best Business Schools in Georgia - Compare Rankings

Old 01-15-2017, 07:31 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
If you can't get into Emory then pursue professional certifications vs. a 2nd rate MBA.

Or what is your ultimate goal? There are a lot of masters degree paths from bachelors you can take which will earn you a lot more money. Ex. Statistics or other math disciplines.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:06 PM

53 posts, read 48,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
If you are able to pursue an MBA (or anything else) on an actual university campus, why would you even consider doing so online? I can't imagine a scenario where any online option would be best.

Online education is designed for people who have to work around jobs and family obligations
I think you answered your own question

If night/weekend clases aren't available, what else is someone supposed to do? Quit their job?

Old 01-16-2017, 06:51 AM

787 posts, read 968,418 times
Im thinking about going back for my Masters too, Ive been looking into the UGA MIT program, just gotta take that stupid GRE test.

https://online.uga.edu/content/maste...net-technology

Last edited by Larry X; 01-16-2017 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 AM

787 posts, read 968,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
Resumes with online degrees go straight into my shredder.
How can the employer tell the difference? Most schools dont specify if the degree was earned online or not. Online degrees are identical to a person's who attended the school.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:20 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
My daughter got an MBA at Purdue. Free tuition via an assistantship, so cost was not an issue. An online program absolutely cannot compare to the experience and valuable contacts you get on campus. She traveled to numerous case competitions that honed her presentation skills in a high pressure environment. When a prospective employer sent her home from an interview with an assignment to produce a mock new product launch in two days, she was ready. They had speakers, corporate site visits, mentoring and coaching, etc. She had three internships, one of which was in India. These all helped build her resume. She made friends from India, Korea, China, South America, and all corners of the U.S.. Her MBA has paid off for her both financially and in job satisfaction. Of course, financially she only had to recoup living expenses and 2 years of lost wages because of her scholarship, but her salary jumped more than 50 percent from where it was with just a BBA. BTW, I was shocked she could get a full-tuition MBA assistantship....but, female, from the south, business undergrad....She was checking demographic boxes for Purdue. More people should factor that in when deciding where to apply. Her reason for going back to school was to switch her career to another area, from risk management to marketing. She was successful in doing that.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:24 PM

403 posts, read 619,041 times
IMO unless the MBA comes from a top tier program it isn't really worth all that much. MBAs are a dime a dozen these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta