Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM

8 posts, read 9,218 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I plan obtaining my CCENT cisco certification and then continue on to CCNA certification. I don't have a completed college degree so my resume consists of some college, some hospitality at a fine dining establishment, a year at a call center as a consultant which was just really customer service. I'm currently a help desk technician at a different call center since December. I plan on moving in October of this year and my question is, with these certifications and my experience what companies should I look into that has a tech support team I can fit into? I'm open into working at another call center, but would prefer to get off of the phones. What positions can I qualify for that are not in call centers? I am familiar with dice and do plan on posting my resume, but I want to move to ATL only. Thank you for the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:51 PM

787 posts, read 968,937 times
I'm going back to study for my ccna too then ccnp. What I notice is if you are able to get a ccnp you'll have it made. I was studying for my ccna til I got a new job and lost focus, plus they came out with the new test around that time and I was studying for the old test. But this time im sticking to it, I may start with ccent, then to ccna.

You can work many different places with a ccna, don't know why you are fixated on a call center. Plus most networking positions not on the phone, they work behind the scenes receiving tickets. With no experience you may have to take a help desk job, NOC, or operations position to get your foot in the door.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 AM

8 posts, read 9,218 times
OK thanks for the reply. I thought since my only tech support experience was at a call center I might not be desirable to non-call center businesses. So I should focus on networking or NOC potions if I don't want to be primarily on the phone? I guess I wanna know what positions I should be applying for.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 PM

61 posts, read 79,241 times
I would say only do a CCNA and try to work at a NOC if your ultimate goal is to be a Network Engineer. Good Network Engineers are hard to find and they tend to be very well paid once you get 3-5 yrs experience. Every company needs a Network Engineer because everything touches the network. But you have to start at a NOC or as a Network Tech\Admin.

The other areas people sleep on is Application Support. Think about this....Software Developers write their own ticket and 1-3 yrs in can command between 100k-200k for hot languages..but somebody has to support that code at the end of the day. Application Support generally pays a lot more than tech support. Whether its web based or software based it still pays well. Look it up on the job sites and see for yourself.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:59 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
You should not have any problem in Atlanta, but you'll need the cert(s) and/or experience. Just saying you plan to do it is not enough. You should look into working for any company that will provide you with the necessary experience to progress to the next level. My favorite job site is indeed.com

I'm a CCNP, VCP, MCSE (MCITP EA), Security+, etc. Once you get to this level, the work is plentiful and lucrative. Dig deep, it will not be easy, but it's worth the pain.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:38 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
You should not have any problem in Atlanta, but you'll need the cert(s) and/or experience. Just saying you plan to do it is not enough. You should look into working for any company that will provide you with the necessary experience to progress to the next level. My favorite job site is indeed.com

I'm a CCNP, VCP, MCSE (MCITP EA), Security+, etc. Once you get to this level, the work is plentiful and lucrative. Dig deep, it will not be easy, but it's worth the pain.
Thanks for posting this! Question...What type of positions can one qualify for with the Sec+?

Thank you!

Old 03-26-2015, 05:38 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
Thanks for posting this! Question...What type of positions can one qualify for with the Sec+?

Thank you!
By itself and without experience, Sec+ probably won't get you far. Maybe an entry level Information Security position, but it's a start. Where you see real value is when you obtain several key certs along with years of experience. Both will take time and effort, but once you have that combo, you will get bombarded with $100K+ job offers from all over the country.

If you're interested in InfoSec, CISSP, Security+, CEH and GIAC are really good certs to aim for.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
By itself and without experience, Sec+ probably won't get you far. Maybe an entry level Information Security position, but it's a start. Where you see real value is when you obtain several key certs along with years of experience. Both will take time and effort, but once you have that combo, you will get bombarded with $100K+ job offers from all over the country.

If you're interested in InfoSec, CISSP, Security+, CEH and GIAC are really good certs to aim for.
Thank you SO much. I'm leaning towards InfoSec. I have A+, and sitting for Net+ next week. I've looked at the Sec+ material a little, and it is VERY interesting. I might end up going that route instead of the Cisco networking route. Still going to decide after Net+.

I appreciate your insight!

Old 03-27-2015, 03:57 AM

787 posts, read 968,937 times
I recommend learning some Unix/Linux to, at least the basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: