Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 02:39 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Uh, I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Police officers need to calm the hell down, learn how to think straight in an escalated situation, and stop shooting suspects FIRST all the damn time unless a gun is being pointed at them. What's wrong with shooting to injure, instead of shooting to kill? HUH? ANYBODY? If this guy was trying to get away in a Maserati, then why not shoot the tires? THAT would have slowed him down or stopped him QUICK! I mean, you're in a parking lot; it's not like you would be aiming at tires while the suspect was trying to get away on an open road. AND you have an eye witness saying he wasn't trying to run the cops over in the first place, but no one cares about that. I guess him being black was just a coincidence; yeah, that's it. This scenario just mysteriously keeps repeating itself. So great, now he's dead. Now everything's a f*cking mess. Perfect.
I agree -- it seems like the cops could have ended this scenario without shooting the man. The police MUST avoid the use of lethal force whenever possible. I understand they have to make judgments under pressure but that is their job, and they should be trained accordingly. That should be regularly reemphasized.

It would also have helped de-escalate the situation if people would avoid things like jumping into someone's Maserati and driving around at high speed in close quarters. That is almost guaranteed to create a tense (and potentially dangerous) situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 02:48 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Uh, I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Police officers need to calm the hell down, learn how to think straight in an escalated situation, and stop shooting suspects FIRST all the damn time unless a gun is being pointed at them. What's wrong with shooting to injure, instead of shooting to kill? HUH? ANYBODY? If this guy was trying to get away in a Maserati, then why not shoot the tires? THAT would have slowed him down or stopped him QUICK! I mean, you're in a parking lot; it's not like you would be aiming at tires while the suspect was trying to get away on an open road. AND you have an eye witness saying he wasn't trying to run the cops over in the first place, but no one cares about that. I guess him being black was just a coincidence; yeah, that's it. This scenario just mysteriously keeps repeating itself. So great, now he's dead. Now everything's a f*cking mess. Perfect.
There is no such thing as "shoot to injure!" Firing a gun is using lethal force period. The only way that would work (outside of hollywood) is if the suspect was standing perfectly still, in a clear area with good lighting, while the officer takes 5+ minutes to assume the appropriate stance, grip and breathing technique and line up perfectly on the target. Seriously, people REALLY need to learn more about guns before criticizing every action with one!

Old 06-20-2015, 03:09 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What is the theory on the police and/or the DA not releasing the video of the incident?
If it goes to trial, they don't want the evidence out for potential jurors to form an opinion.

Same for the grand jury. I don't know how Cobb holds their GJ but they may not want them to form an opinion before they are seated.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:16 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
shoot to injure? HA hahahhaa

Old 06-20-2015, 03:34 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,204 times
The suspect was in a car; so again, they could have shot out the tires if nothing else. I mean, there were SIX of them. There's what? Four tires on car? Oh yeah, right.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:49 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
The suspect was in a car; so again, they could have shot out the tires if nothing else. I mean, there were SIX of them. There's what? Four tires on car? Oh yeah, right.
How do you "shoot out" run flat tires? Which it would have had being an expensive car. Nothing like 6 people shooting at a hard surface with no backstop to injure everyone standing behind the scene.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:44 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How do you "shoot out" run flat tires? Which it would have had being an expensive car. Nothing like 6 people shooting at a hard surface with no backstop to injure everyone standing behind the scene.
By standers can get injured when guns are being shot period. I mean....

Old 06-20-2015, 04:45 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
but now we know they didnt shoot him from the front..

they shot at him from the back.

how is that right?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:16 PM

244 posts, read 168,783 times
If he was driving a car torwards any one of the officers that in it self is more than enough to use deadly force even if the shooting officer is behind the car.

Had he made a better decsion not to run or run people over in the process of his attempt to flee , he'd still be alive right now.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:48 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
There was no need to shoot him. I don't care how expensive or fast the car is, it will eventually run out of gas, and a Maserati doesn't exactly blend in in most areas of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta