Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:45 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,380,281 times

Advertisements

The radical lefties is taking over DC and Baltimore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
The hidden message behind atler's over-the-top comments are that liberalism is GOOD and conservatism is BAD. Hence his diatribe against Georgia for not being liberal enough. Some people see everything through a liberal tinted lens. The schools in the south are hurt by the lack of performance of black and Hispanic children. Too many of them do not want to go to school, do not want to learn, do not want to accept responsibility to do the work. The white students of Georgia (or white/Asian majority schools) perform about the same or even above the rest of the country. Whatever the reasons behind it are, it isn't the fault of the State of Georgia. It's a shame, but that is something that will never be resolved until they value education.

I am a right-leaning conservative with some libertarian and even "liberal" views person. I can accept some liberal views but a radical leftist would likely not be a relationship I could handle. You sound pretty moderate but if you are a straight Democratic Party voter, you will probably have difficulty being accepted in Atlanta's very conservative and very red suburbs.

Good luck on your journey southward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 12:52 PM

815 posts, read 987,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Let me start off by saying that I am speaking in generalities. Housing costs will not be that far off from what you quoted. 4 bedroom houses can easily go for $500k in a good school district. There are a few areas around town where 500k will barely buy you a 2 bedroom (I'm looking at you, Morningside-Lenox Park).

Cobb County in of itself as a destination is probably not the ideal target location if you are trying to avoid being annoyed or pestered by your neighbors or their attitudes. City government declining authorization for a mosque; attempts to get Harry Potter banned in public school; households being required to own a shotgun - I believe that these are all phenomena originating in Cobb County.

Having said that, it is completely possible to live in Cobb County without running into social, political, or other anthropological annoyances... but it would be a mistake to characterize it as some kind of shangri-la compared to Boston. We have Baptists instead of Catholics (check the liquor laws), and UGA Bulldawg fans instead of Southies (lol).

The very best way to avoid road rage or the stresses of commuting is to live near where you work. There is less arrogance among Atlantans than New England, but a lot of that depends on the circles that you run in.

The weather is certainly less severe in the winter, but warm climes bring their own challenges. Atlanta is on another level when it comes to pollen, and the summers can blaze pretty hot.

Have you ever visited?
Cobb County is definitely not the only area we'd consider, heard good things about Alpharetta as well. I am a gun owner and a firm believer in that right, but a town REQUIRING you to own one is a little much...what if guns made me uncomfortable?! And racist city government would make me re-think residing their.

Haven't been to ATL since 2003, but the family and I are driving down this summer for a couple of weeks to visit family. We are planning on taking advantage of having our own vehicle with us to spend some time driving around East Cobb/Kennesaw areas to try and get a vibe from the area. Obviously stopping and doing shopping/lunch and trying to interact with the locals. I'm hoping I can get a better idea once I am down there. This forum is defnitely a great resource though, so I can be prepared when we go this summer!

Old 03-25-2015, 12:59 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,093,072 times
The schools in the Northern Atlanta suburbs(East Cobb/North Fulton/NW Gwinnett) are some of the best in the nation....very competitive and top feeders to GA Tech and UGA, great schools. I'm not sure if you have children or will have children, but HOPE/Zell scholarships are huge here.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
The hidden message behind atler's over-the-top comments are that liberalism is GOOD and conservatism is BAD. Hence his diatribe against Georgia for not being liberal enough. Some people see everything through a liberal tinted lens. The schools in the south are hurt by the lack of performance of black and Hispanic children. Too many of them do not want to go to school, do not want to learn, do not want to accept responsibility to do the work. The white students of Georgia (or white/Asian majority schools) perform about the same or even above the rest of the country. Whatever the reasons behind it are, it isn't the fault of the State of Georgia. It's a shame, but that is something that will never be resolved until they value education.

I am a right-leaning conservative with some libertarian and even "liberal" views person. I can accept some liberal views but a radical leftist would likely not be a relationship I could handle. You sound pretty moderate but if you are a straight Democratic Party voter, you will probably have difficulty being accepted in Atlanta's very conservative and very red suburbs.

Good luck on your journey southward.
I definitely consider myself a moderate, have voted mostly democratic in my younger years, but have slowly started leaning towards republicans, especially Libertarians (Ron Paul is one of my favorites). That being said, I still wouldn't want to reside in a town that would judge me based on my party affiliation or voting record. I think moderation is a good thing, and I have friends who vote democrat, and some who vote republican. And I wouldn't not talk to someone based on that either. If you're a good person, mean well, and are entertaining to be around, I will be your friend, no matter your party affiliation, religion, race, etc etc. Thats how it should be.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The schools in the Northern Atlanta suburbs(East Cobb/North Fulton/NW Gwinnett) are some of the best in the nation....very competitive and top feeders to GA Tech and UGA, great schools. I'm not sure if you have children or will have children, but HOPE/Zell scholarships are huge here.
I have a 1 year old, but we plan on having more. This is good to know, and exactly what we are looking for

Old 03-25-2015, 01:28 PM

10,737 posts, read 13,305,475 times
Quote:
Hmmm. I'm a pretty left-leaning liberal, and I oftentimes wear it on my sleeve. I moved out to the oh-so-conservative Republican bastion of South Forsyth some time back, and had concerns that my Democratic convictions would be fround upon. However, I can happily report, that while I get a little bit of ribbing (and give it back!), no one has eschewed me for my political leanings.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:39 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,372,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Oy vey.

This right here is the fundamental problem with Georgia.
What I states is factual and supported by ALL data. Black students, particularly black MALES, drop out of school at a FAR higher rate than whites or Asians. They are more likely to skip school and do poorer on schoolwork. If you don't go to school, you aren't going to know what's on the test. This results in higher failure rates too. It's all borne out by Education Department figures and data.

The black community needs to get to the bottom of it and correct it.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:44 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,345,672 times
Hey my "Yankee" Brother, You sound like you are looking for a change of pace and do not wish to sacrifice on stellar public schools to get it. May I suggest you shake off the entirety of the Northern Suburbs and come to Atlanta's southside where you can have access to great public schools and a "not as bad" commute (notice I did not say wonderful LOL). I would recommend to start in "South side Transplant central" in Peachtree City, Georgia and then branch out your search to include all of Fayette County and maybe even adjacent Coweta County. You really will encounter genuinely nice people down here (from all parts of the U.S.) and true southern hospitality along with the accompanied "slower pace of life". You will find Fayette County schools compare well with the best of North Fulton/ East Cobb. Of course, your place of work will also factor into your home search, but a commute to downtown/ midtown Atlanta would be at least comparable or in many cases better from the southwest suburbs. Finally, just like the call letters to one of our radio/ television station down here: WSB (Welcome South Brother) Best of luck with your search.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,374,243 times
Quote:
What I states is factual and supported by ALL data. Black students, particularly black MALES, drop out of school at a FAR higher rate than whites or Asians. They are more likely to skip school and do poorer on schoolwork. If you don't go to school, you aren't going to know what's on the test. This results in higher failure rates too. It's all borne out by Education Department figures and data.

The black community needs to get to the bottom of it and correct it.

Please stop talking. You are showing out in front of guests and it's embarrassing. I mean, really.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,345,672 times
Every good southerner (even transplants) knows not to show out in front of company. Good call, Tryska!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta