Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:59 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh is not in the midwest but does share some of the dynamics. That said no other metro really suffers from its legacy of natural decline from the steel collapse in the 80s - even as it grows in migration, deaths cause it to lose population.

Columbus is really doing even better than it had been, but it's not sun belt and a smaller metro, so it's not going to have Dallas and Atlanta numbers.

Chicago is tough to pin down. I doubt it will see real decline since it's such a true big city and honestly I don't know anyone who doesn't like Chicago (weather aside). However, it and many other northern cities are mature and face challenges that mature cities face. We're starting to get a glimpse of that in some sun belt cities. Dallas proper has slowed down some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 02:28 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,796 times
Aside from the usual disclaimer about these being population estimates, here are some interesting tidbits:

- Forsyth County has passed the 200,000 mark!
- Clarke County (Athens)'s population declined. Interesting.
- Fulton County isn't officially at 1 million, but I suspect that it already passed that last year. The 2015 estimates will certainly have Fulton above 1 million.
- Gwinnett is just short of 900,000. I wouldn't be surprised if, considering the growth in Atlanta's economy and population, it reaches 1 million by 2022 or so.

Oh, and Taliaferro County is stagnant. It's population of 1,693 is the exact same as 2013. Bibb County (Macon)'s population dropped a bit.

- skbl17

Old 03-29-2015, 07:25 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
So those who loathe anything outside the City of Atlanta are excited by this news, when most of the growth is outside the COA itself? Hmmm....

Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
So those who loathe anything outside the City of Atlanta are excited by this news, when most of the growth is outside the COA itself? Hmmm....
And this thread is officially going to turn to crap. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
I mean, the city of Atlanta is like 140 square miles. The Atlanta metro is 6,000 square miles. Just saying...of course, the vast majority of growth will be in the suburbs. This is in every metropolitan area.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I mean, the city of Atlanta is like 140 square miles. The Atlanta metro is 6,000 square miles. Just saying...of course, the vast majority of growth will be in the suburbs. This is in every metropolitan area.
Bingo.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
As far as I can tell, only county estimates have been released, no city estimates so don't know why you are downing the COA. Atlanta could have gained a good percentage of that Fulton gain. North Fulton is pretty much built out, gains there could be negated by losses in South Fulton, the majority of Fulton's gain could be in the CoA.

Not saying this has happened, but you are making a premature judgment on the CoA's population when city figures aren't out yet. Premature denunciation maybe?

Old 03-30-2015, 02:11 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Pittsburgh is not in the midwest but does share some of the dynamics. That said no other metro really suffers from its legacy of natural decline from the steel collapse in the 80s - even as it grows in migration, deaths cause it to lose population.

Columbus is really doing even better than it had been, but it's not sun belt and a smaller metro, so it's not going to have Dallas and Atlanta numbers.

Chicago is tough to pin down. I doubt it will see real decline since it's such a true big city and honestly I don't know anyone who doesn't like Chicago (weather aside). However, it and many other northern cities are mature and face challenges that mature cities face. We're starting to get a glimpse of that in some sun belt cities. Dallas proper has slowed down some.
How ever while Dallas slowed Fort Worth was the fastest growing major city in Texas last decade. it's around 800k or close now. DFW is more complex because it's so multi polar. Not only is Dallas completing against another major city but supersuburbs, Arlington, Irving, Plano, and etc over 200k.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:25 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
Cherokee and Gwinnett are the fastest growing counties in Metro Atlanta. I am not downing the City of Atlanta, as I'm not one of those on here who have an irrational loathing for any particular part of town or those who live in any specific area. However, I find it ironic that anti-OTP and anti-suburb people are apt to champion the metro-wide growth when the odds are great that most of it occurred in those very areas they denigrate.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Cherokee and Gwinnett are the fastest growing counties in Metro Atlanta. I am not downing the City of Atlanta, as I'm not one of those on here who have an irrational loathing for any particular part of town or those who live in any specific area. However, I find it ironic that anti-OTP and anti-suburb people are apt to champion the metro-wide growth when the odds are great that most of it occurred in those very areas they denigrate.
No one here was bashing OTP in this thread though. You were the first to bring it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta