Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:07 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,245 times

Advertisements

I know afdinatl is being slightly roasted here and probably he brought it upon himself by starting this thread ( ) but just wanted to drop by and say it cheers me up somewhat to see someone so dedicated/religious about taking pride in their city. The attitude, despite appearing harmlessly juvenile at times, is definitely refreshing to see !!

Cheers all, happy Friday, hopefully everyone has a beautiful Spring weekend, you too afdinatl !

-Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 11:44 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Give me the Majestic on Ponce any day over Waffle House.

Plus, you get late-night dinner with a show!
And you don't get grass seeds and 2nd hand microwaves.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:05 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I think a true 24 hour city though, is when your locals are literally open 24 hours. For example NY - the mom and pops, the bagel bakeries, the corner store, are all open 24 hours - and you can walk to them. Here - you still have to get in your car and drive, if you need an onion at 3 am on Tuesday. Not to say there isn't life in ATL, it's just not quite the 24/7 of NY or Chicago, or Philly.

That's not true at all I live in NY and just like Atlanta only certain parts have 24 hour spots. There aren't any grocery stores near me that are 24 hour in Atlanta I had that. The bodegas be selling expired food and They don't necessarily have everything they are just has stations without the gas.

What mom and pop shops are open 24 hours because I haven't hardly scene any

Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 PM

To think that NYC is scrambling with people wee hours in the morning is somewhat exaggerated I use to think it was a city the never sleeps but baby people go to bed and the city does feel a little vacant at times especially Monday threw Thursday

Old 03-27-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Many more places than here in Atlanta, either way. I believe that's totally a factor of density, but can you say in Manhattan, you can't get virtually all your needs met after hours, within walking distance?

That was totally the case when I lived there. If it's not anymore, then something has gone wrong.
Lots of regentrfying as change the whole atmosphere of NY it's not easy getting things late at night like you want unless your going to typical places hmthat everyone in every major city goes too and that's diners and drug stores.

The only retail stores open late are the ones in Times Square but so are the ones in Miami on lincoln Rd

Old 03-27-2015, 02:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
Quote:
I can buy a microwave, grass seeds, party and eat at Waffle house here at 5:05am.
The irony is you can't do either of the first two things anywhere, to my knowledge, ITP.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:45 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
And in other news I couldn't get a key made in Manhattan late last night. Had to wait till this morning....sorry, I had to do it. Forgive me
Did you try Nuthouse Hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
That's not true at all I live in NY and just like Atlanta only certain parts have 24 hour spots. There aren't any grocery stores near me that are 24 hour in Atlanta I had that. The bodegas be selling expired food and They don't necessarily have everything they are just has stations without the gas.

What mom and pop shops are open 24 hours because I haven't hardly scene any

You telling me the Korean grocers aren't open 24/7 no more? I've been down here a long time (since Giuliani) but damn. Or the Chinese restaurants? I know almost all the gray's papaya's are gone but they are still 24/7 right?

Actually - I am relieved to see there are non chain places still open 24 hours, according to yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=24+hour+stores&find_loc=New+York% 2C+NY

Sure Duane Read and Walgreens are still on there, but there is a mess of locals too.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:46 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The irony is you can't do either of the first two things anywhere, to my knowledge, ITP.
There are a few places. But ITP really is limited on certain things. We have to go OTP for a lot of children's things and we looked OTP or right at the Perimeter last time we needed a microwave.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,509 times
[quote=Tryska;38985645]Did you try Nuthouse Hardware?

What? And not go to the neighborhood hardware store in the most walkable/24 hour city in the worlr?? No I went to my corner hardware store, Variety Corp. I should not have to travel to Brooklyn to get a key made damnit....I mean this is Manhattan. I paid too much money for my Co-op for this. How dare he close, I needed to get a key made!!

Seriously, nope. At 3 in the morn I wasn't traveling far. See, just like as if you were in Dunwoody and wanted something that was 24 hours downtown. All of the is in my Sarcasm font btw.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:57 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,200 times
[quote=SLIMMACKEY;38986191]
Quote:
Did you try Nuthouse Hardware?

What? And not go to the neighborhood hardware store in the most walkable/24 hour city in the worlr?? No I went to my corner hardware store, Variety Corp. I should not have to travel to Brooklyn to get a key made damnit....I mean this is Manhattan. I paid too much money for my Co-op for this. How dare he close, I needed to get a key made!!

Seriously, nope. At 3 in the morn I wasn't traveling far. See, just like as if you were in Dunwoody and wanted something that was 24 hours downtown. All of the is in my Sarcasm font btw.
fair enough. The sad thing about Atlanta, is right now the 24 hour retail is more likely to be in Dunwoody than downtown. we have a lot of 24 hour restaurants, but everybody is still scared to do 24 hour retail intown, I think. I can't blame them, tbh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta