Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:28 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,175,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
There are a lot of "touchy-feely ideas" in the word of God, as others have noted. The question, it seems to me, is the extent to which you heed them or focus instead on Old Testament law to judge, ostracize, punish and condemn. WWJD?

Yeah, you can't discriminate. Note that tolerance does not entail acceptance: Go ahead and plaster your store with the scripture to which certain of your customers should be exposed, in your view. Trumpet your disapproval of the sinners as loudly and publicly as you like. Just don't discriminate. It's not that hard.
If you reread my post, you will see that I said the is not based on touchy-feely ideas. My point was that simply saying "love thy neighbor" does not mean agreeing with or condoning everything that neighbor does. The Bible is black and white on this issue in the New Testament. Jesus loved everyone but he always confronted their sin while loving them.

And its not my job nor any Christians job to pound anyone over the head for being sinners because we ALL are. My only job is to point people to the only one who can free them from sin.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:42 PM

209 posts, read 274,985 times
I am gay. I did not choose to be gay.

Please, enlighten me as to why I should be kicked out of a bar/restaurant/hotel for no other reason than my sexuality. I would love to hear about why my LGBT friends and I should be second class citizens, and why protections against LGBT discrimination shouldn't have been added to the bill.

If you are a for-profit business open to the public, you should be OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, and that means everyone, beliefs be damned. Segregationists in the 60's also cited religion to justify their beliefs.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:55 PM

209 posts, read 274,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
... there is an annual gay parade in every city of decent size in the country, gay magazines, gay networks, etc. Gosh! This tyranny really risks having its tyrant card revoked.
I hate this attitude. "Gay people have parades and RuPaul's Drag Race, so everything must be hunky dory!"

Things will be hunky dory when gay families can go to any restaurant and not be gawked at or treated differently. Things will not be hunky dory if gay families are turned away just for being gay.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:09 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,240,514 times
I just wish the supporters of this bill would just admit the real reason for it...symbolic state approval of discriminating against lgbt citizens. That is perfectly legal now in Georgia...they just want it restated with a current vote prior to the likely marriage decision in the Supreme Court.

If you dont want to provide services to lgbt people or anyone not expressly covered as a protected class (age, race, ethnicity, etc) it is already LEGAL to refuse. So basically they want to reaffirm current law and risk many millions of dollars from conferences, a possible super bowl in 2019, and a big ole blackeye on the state to make themselves feel better about legally discriminating. We look like a bunch of backwoods hicks even debating this craziness. Let's hope it dies again this year...of course it will reappear in 2016 if it dies this year.

The worst part of this law would be the undoing of local anti-discrimination laws involving lgbt citizens. Aren't the republicans the party of less government and keeping things local...guess that only applies if you like what the locals are doing...want anti discrimination laws more inclusive in your locality...nope not okay. Do the supporters of this bill have any idea how stupid this is?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:26 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,664,232 times
Quote:
Actually I read ever word of your superfluous recital of your university indoctrination. I simply chose to focus on the subject of the thread.
A comment belied by the fact that the topic of the thread is that which fosters "the unjust practices" I mentioned. I respect your right to dodge my repudiation of what you supported, but would rather you not try to so hard to make it seem like you didn't.

Quote:
Dominionism? LOL
Laughter doesn't hide the fact that you didn't defend what you're supporting. You are very smart to realize that no one could rationally defend the indefensible perspective that you support. Again, I respect your right to try to save face by dodging the issue.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:06 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,125,369 times
The fight's over for this year. Expect more RFRA craziness next year though, as it's also an election year!

- skbl17

Old 04-01-2015, 08:10 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,367,312 times
Quote:
If you reread my post, you will see that I said the is not based on touchy-feely ideas. My point was that simply saying "love thy neighbor" does not mean agreeing with or condoning everything that neighbor does. The Bible is black and white on this issue in the New Testament. Jesus loved everyone but he always confronted their sin while loving them.

And its not my job nor any Christians job to pound anyone over the head for being sinners because we ALL are. My only job is to point people to the only one who can free them from sin.
I don't give two ****s if you think gay people are "sinners", your viewpoint and your source book are backwards, irrelevant, and are NOT the foundation of our public policy.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,798,322 times
Folks - we're dipping too much into the "preaching" area. The topic is NOT what you personally think about gays or lesbians one way or the other - the topic is about the Religious freedom bill in general and it's validity (or not), etc. Stop making it a personal insult contest and keep it on topic, please.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,240,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
The fight's over for this year. Expect more RFRA craziness next year though, as it's also an election year!

- skbl17
I wonder what it will be called next year as the term RFRA has been soured in the public eye by the happenings in Arkansas and Indiana? Same bill with a new flashy name guaranteed for the 2016 session... I can't wait...ugh!

Old 04-01-2015, 10:36 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,367,312 times
So proud to have Mike Jacobs as my rep. He's definitely earned by vote again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta