Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:44 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I think I see my confusion, the Toco Hills neighborhood is split, on its southern end, it is zoned for the Cross Keys Cluster and northern is Druid Hills High School.

The Cross Keys cluster is primarily Hispanic with a smattering of other immigrants mixed in.

You posted while I was typing. We have clarity now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 12:52 AM

3 posts, read 16,075 times
Hi,
I am new to this forum and have tried to follow the threads to see what has been answered already. We live in Israel and there is a good possibility that I will be relocated for a few years to Atlanta. Our company's office is in Roswel. We are modern orthodox and would look to be in a neighborhood with a modern orthodox synagogue. From what I can see, Toco Hills and maybe Sandy Springs and Dunwoody are the options. However, I am interested in learning more about these synagogues. Also, I hear the commute in Atlanta is terrible (probably as bad as highway 5 in Israel). Would going from Toco Hills to Roswell be a reverse commute? How long would it take? Finally, in terms of day schools for kids, what are the best options? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Barry S.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
First, let me suggest you research the day schools, because if you are modern orthodox, you might be comfortable at several different ones. How is your children's english?

Community Directory

click on schools and go from there.

Then it depends. Toco Hills is (for the most part, I suppose) a reverse commute to Roswell and puts you in the middle of a large orthodox community. However, not so modern, actually.

If you choose Dunwoody, your commute will be shorter, and Congregation Ariel is right there and I believe that is more modern than Beth Jacob. However, while the Kroger and Publix carry kosher items, there isn't an all kosher grocery store in the area, though there is one, I think, in Sandy Springs.

If there is an orthodox synagogue in Sandy Springs, it is near High Point Elementary School and is more towards Buckhead than Roswell, I think. Again, a manageable commute, I think.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
last minute mom gives good suggestions. Synagogue in Sandy SPrings/Buckhead is Chabad (Beth Tefillah) and Ariel is in Dunwoody. There is also a Chabad in Alpharetta which puts you close to Roswell, but does nothing for you in terms of commuting to school. Young Israel is sort of the young modern orthodox split from the big synagogue (Beth JAcob) in Toco Hills.
I'd look at these three areas: Toco Hills, Dunwoody and Highpoint/Sandy Springs. All three have walking communities to synagogues, kosher stores and young families. The Sandy Springs area has Greenfield Hebrew Academy and the Toco Hills Area has Torah Day School (a bit more homogeneous in its orthodox population). Plenty of Israelis in both Dunwoody and Toco Hills too. Welcome! I have a friend who just relocated here with his wife and 2 kids from Tel Aviv and loves it. If you want his name, PM me!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
I think I see my confusion, the Toco Hills neighborhood is split, on its southern end, it is zoned for the Cross Keys Cluster and northern is Druid Hills High School.

The Cross Keys cluster is primarily Hispanic with a smattering of other immigrants mixed in.
Cross Keys is not Toco Hills.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 AM

thanks so much for the response. As my wife and I are originally from N. America, we speak English at home so the kids English is pretty good. My fear with Toco Hills sounds like it may be too far to the right for my taste. is that true of the Young Israel as well? Congregation Ariel sounds interesting. What kind of a crowd is there?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Actually, for the most part, unless you have a thick skin, it is not easy to be any kind of Jewish but Orthodox in the Toco Hills area of Atlanta
Having grown up there, I have to vouch for last minutemom's comment. There is a pretty significant cultural chasm between Orthodox and Reform or Conservative. Toco Hills is absolutely an Orthodox neighborhood; because Orthodox Jews strictly observe religious law, they cannot drive to Synagogue on the Sabbath and therefore need walking access to Beth Jacob (Orthodox) Synagogue.
My suggestion would be Dunwoody, which has a sizable Jewish community and is home to the Marcus Zaban Jewish Community Center (a fabulous facility; MJCCA)

Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
Young Israel broke off from Beth Jacob so you may find more of your crowd there...still fairly standard in terms of observance levels but a lot younger. Chabad in Dunwoody is nice too. I'd look at both and see where you feel more comfortable because in the end it's that feeling that will make your decision for you. Not sure what the thick skin comment means. Plenty of non-observant Jews in Toco Hills...nobody's throwing rocks and it's actually kind of peaceful to see a group of people walking on Saturday, not using electricity or listening to Ipods. We're not observant but whenever I happen to drive by and see it, I kind of wish I had it in me to do so every now and then!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:35 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Please forgive my lack of in-depth knowledge as I am not Jewish, but I do live in Dunwoody. I know that you mentioned being modern orthodox and that Reform is a different animal, but the Davis Academy (Lower School and Middle School) are a private day school in Dunwoody. I can also vouch that the Kosher section at the Dunwoody Kroger is quite extensive (has its own deli, etc...).

I'm sure that some others can comment on whether these schools are Reform, Conservative, or Orthodox, but other nearby schools include the Hebrew Academy, the Epstein School, and Yeshiva Academy.

Dunwoody is a great area, and the MJCCA is a fantastic facility!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 PM

Thanks to all of you for this information. It gives me a good idea of what is out there and what I need to check, which i will do when i get closer to decision time and if indeed my company decides to send me for a few year to our Atlanta office. I imagine I'll touch base again with this forum at that time. Its nice to know that this kind of forum exists. Thanks again and regards from Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta