U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 PM

18 posts, read 95,853 times

Advertisements

So we live in Norcross, Ga. We are set to buy a home soon, but can't decide where we should live....good school district, low real estate prices, and low crime rates. I have have found several homes in Cobb county, mostly in Kennesaw, that are very cheap and nice looking so we are considering that area. How diverse is Cobb county compared to Gwinnett ( we are black, so we want a more diverse area to live in) and how close to the urban life are the cities in Cobb county? You know, we don't want country at all....My husband works in Atlanta so he doesn't want to commute no more than about 30 or 40 mins.

Oh and can someone give their two cents about Palmetto, Powder Springs, Mableton, Lawrenceville, and Snellville ranked by crime rates, affordability, school system, and urban life.

Last edited by Khouston30; 03-26-2015 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: added more info
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,133,209 times
Both are about the same. Gwinnett had more Asians. Cobb is more hilly. Traffic is about the same. It all depends on where you work

Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 PM

9,008 posts, read 11,995,389 times
Which is better overall, the color blue or the color green?

You're likely to get a different answer depending on who you ask. That's why both counties are popular, different people like them for different reasons.

Personally, I hated Cobb county, but I like Gwinnett. I'm sure lots of people feel the exact opposite.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:27 AM

1,189 posts, read 960,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khouston30 View Post
Oh and can someone give their two cents about Palmetto, Powder Springs, Mableton, Lawrenceville, and Snellville ranked by crime rates, affordability, school system, and urban life.
Yeah, but it'll cost more than two cents.

(just kidding)

Old 03-27-2015, 08:38 AM

1,990 posts, read 1,869,992 times
Coming from a life long southsider who had no intention of living either place, I would give the advantage to Cobb County. I simply like it better. Maybe it feels more "southern" to me. Gwinnett has grown so huge. Both counties are definitely diverse: Gwinnett more Asian, Cobb more Hispanic I think. Both being counties in a "deep south" state, both have large Black communities. I really do not know, but Cobb may have more White folks overall than Gwinnett. I also like Cobb County schools better because they tend to have smaller high schools, not the 3000 plus student high schools of Gwinnett. Both county's have highly touted school systems overall; Gwinnett has access to Lake Lanier, Cobb (especially the North Cobb/ Kennesaw area you mentioned) has Lake Allatoona. You can find successful diverse communities in both counties; the friends of mine that live in Kennesaw are Black by the way and love it there.

Palmetto: Lovely little town tucked away in a little semi-rural nook of South Fulton. I have church members who recently bought a house there (these are a middle aged White couple with kids), and they LOVE it. They have a historic property close to the town center. Unsure about the schools there. This couple uses private Christian schools, but they also used Christian schools when then lived in the highly rated Starrs Mill district in neighboring Fayette County, so that is not a dismissal of Palmetto schools. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:12 AM

8,057 posts, read 11,320,320 times
I like the overall feel of Cobb, doesn't feel as homogenously suburban as Gwinett. It has more suburban areas dating to post war, Marietta was a decent sized city in its own right before suburbia came its way, most Gwinnett towns were small burgs, thus the infrastructure was more in place before suburbia came. Gwinnett has a feel that everything has sprouted since the 80s and some of it is already past its prime. Not saying Cobb doesn't have areas like that too,I just like the feel that Cobb got to where it is over a longer arc than Gwinnett. If nothing else, having Kennesaw Mountain park in the center of the county makes it one of the most unique spots in the metro area.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:22 AM

16,213 posts, read 9,453,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Which is better overall, the color blue or the color green?

You're likely to get a different answer depending on who you ask. That's why both counties are popular, different people like them for different reasons.

Personally, I hated Cobb county, but I like Gwinnett. I'm sure lots of people feel the exact opposite.
I agree with the above first statement.

I personally hate Gwinnet and like Cobb lol so there you have it!

I think Gwinnett is too overcrowded and they have worse traffic than Cobb, especially on weekends. Cobb is also closer to the city where your husband will work, Kennesaw isn't but other parts of Cobb are.

I think both counties are diverse. I agree there are more Asians in Gwinnett but I think there are just as many Hispanics in both areas.

I don't know anything about Palmetto, but I lived in Mableton and near Powder Springs.

If I was going to choose between the two of those based on most of the things you mentioned - crime and schools especially, I would chose Powder Springs, but personally, I would live in Mableton due to the shorter commute to the city and the fact that you can find nice neighborhoods in Mableton rather inexpensively. But that would also depend on where your husband works in regards to the commute as well. I worked downtwon when we lived in Mableton and it was an easier commute than when we lived near Powder Springs for instance.

I have also lived in Smyrna and liked living in Smyrna and Mableton when we lived in Cobb. I also lived in Austell, which was more of a country feel IMO and in Marietta itself. I liked Marietta better than both Smyrna and Mableton FWIW. If I had to choose where to live in Cobb, knowing what I know, I would live in Marietta in the neighborhoods around the square due to there being many activities there and being close to the library and other businesses.

ETA: I didn't like Kennesaw. We looked at some places there but it is way too far out IMO. It seemed very isolated.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:15 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,987,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khouston30 View Post
You can find some of that information here on City Data. Example:

//www.city-data.com/city/Mableton-Georgia.html

Not sure there's a site we can link to easily which does a full-blown comparison. Cities in Cobb County use the Cobb County school system unless you're in the City of Marietta. Crime tends to vary over fairly short distances, since business districts tend to be crime magnets. Very few suburbs in Atlanta are "urban", but many have walkable downtown areas and/or walkable housing or mixed use developments.

I like Mableton, but the schools are passable at best.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:33 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,869,992 times
The City of Marietta has a wonderfully walkable downtown district around its Court house square, and its own city school system that I have heard many "rave" over.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 PM

13 posts, read 31,622 times
I love where I live in Cobb County...but I hate the way the county is run. Having said that...I really don't like Gwinnett County. If I had it to do over I'd look more in North Fulton. I love Decatur (but cant afford it). My little neighborhood in EastCobb is quite diverse but many aren't. My sons kindergarten class had two black children and 18 white kids. I would check out houses in Smyrna. Check out 30067 Wheeler district in East Cobb. I'm not sure about Kennesaw but neighboring Woodstock and Acworth seem to lack diversity. The more time I spend in the city the more I realize that I want my kids growing up around a mix of all sorts of people. So yes I love my home and my neighbors...but if I could do it over I'd move closer in to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta