Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 06:47 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times

Advertisements

(1) In many parts of town you've got so many people walking around that it's getting hard to drive.

(2) It seems to me we've got an epidemic of horn blowing. When I was growing up here that was something you just didn't do except in cases of true emergency. It was considered rude and uncultured. If you had to wait an extra second or two, you simply waited, politely. Nowadays you can barely go anywhere without a bunch of knuckleheads impatiently tooting their horns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 06:51 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
(1) In many parts of town you've got so many people walking around that it's getting hard to drive.

(2) It seems to me we've got an epidemic of horn blowing. When I was growing up here that was something you just didn't do except in cases of true emergency. It was considered rude and uncultured. If you had to wait an extra second or two, you simply waited, politely. Nowadays you can barely go anywhere without a bunch of knuckleheads impatiently tooting their horns.
Arjay, for the pedestrians, you could have a cowcatcher installed on the front of your car...

for the horn blowing--here's the deal. Now that everyone's on their cellphones, when the light turns green, we have to let them know, hence the honking. Maybe stop lights should have a buzzer that sounds when they turn green.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Quote:
Nowadays you can barely go anywhere without a bunch of knuckleheads impatiently tooting their horns.
Or an alternative way to look at it is that nowadays you can't go anywhere without a bunch of knuckleheads inconsiderately making others wait because they aren't paying attention or think they are so important that whatever they have to do is more important than everybody else's time.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:11 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:

1) I saw people walking in my neighborhood and I was like...are you crazy? Walk on the lawn but don't walk in the road, where everyone's vehicle is slipping. I may need to seriously consider getting a four-wheel drive because there are people that do all sorts of stuff with their vehicles in this weather like donuts, etc., and I'm sitting there struggling to get home.

2) I drove slowly and no one blew their horn. I don't know why the people blew you as there is snow all over the place and better to be slow and safe than fast and sorry. I had gotten to a light where I had to turn and I let the person in the right lane turn first because I was not sure if their vehicle would slip and hit mine. I see how important defensive driving is now. When you are younger, it's just something you hear about but when you are doing it over the years, you realize how the precautions help prevent so many accidents.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
2) I drove slowly and no one blew their horn. I don't know why the people blew you as there is snow all over the place and better to be slow and safe than fast and sorry.
Oh, I didn't mean today, just a lot of honking in general. And it's not that they are honking at me (I don't think), but the noise still startles me. So much aggressive driving these days.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Arjay, for the pedestrians, you could have a cowcatcher installed on the front of your car...
Wonder if I could get one made out of foam rubber?

Old 12-08-2017, 09:58 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times
If people knew how to drive properly we wouldn't have to blow the horn

Old 12-08-2017, 10:10 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Quote:
I rarely hear horn blowing around Atlanta. Chicago and New York, on the other hand, were both so bad I literally was wishing I was deaf. I could not live in either place solely because of the horns. They drive me insane.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:54 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,886 times
Quote:
I noticed that too. My theory is, it's by relocating Northeasterners like New Yorkers that are laying on the horn.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:35 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,568 times
Honking is prominent because people don’t look up from their phones at stop lights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta