Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:30 AM

783 posts, read 1,151,797 times

Advertisements

Looks incredible, and I don't remember this, just observing it on the Midtown map I have here, but Juniper Street seems to end at... 12th Street?

A lot of changes seem obvious, but this one seems kind of a big one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:49 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,691,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
Looks incredible, and I don't remember this, just observing it on the Midtown map I have here, but Juniper Street seems to end at... 12th Street?

A lot of changes seem obvious, but this one seems kind of a big one.
Probably before Piedmont was one waged. Also US 23 is running along Piedmont, while now it uses Moreland.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Probably before Piedmont was one waged. Also US 23 is running along Piedmont, while now it uses Moreland.
It seems as long as I remember Juniper has always gone as far as 14th Street, but I was a child in the 1960s and hardly went to Atlanta at all during those years.

My first memory of Juniper Street was back in the summer of 1976, when I journeyed to Atlanta looking for books that were either hard to find in Columbus Georgia, or impossible altogether, such as Jack Kerouac's out of print titles and similar writers.

This was my first experience with the Old New York Book Shop, which was on Juniper Street, an old house packed with great used books.

I found a great copy of Leonard Cohen's "Beautiful Losers" novel there that day, along with several other treasures.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 PM

23,302 posts, read 43,751,651 times
Did not know this. I wonder what prompted the extension.
And yes, I remember The Old New York Book Shop and its voluble owner, Cliff Graubert. I still remember Pat Conroy scribbling away on a manuscript at a table in there. He enjoyed writing there.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:22 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,658,751 times
I had forgotten about the New York Book Shop but now remember it but not quite clearly enough to know for certain if it was located on Juniper in what was originally a house.
Did the shop change locations at any point?

Will... Where did you find the old map segment that you shared here? I need to look at home & find out how far back my oldest Atlanta city map dates.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:28 PM

446 posts, read 673,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I had forgotten about the New York Book Shop but now remember it but not quite clearly enough to know for certain if it was located on Juniper in what was originally a house.

Will... Where did you find the old map segment that you shared here? I need to look at home & find out how far back my oldest Atlanta city map dates.
I have used google to find old Atlanta maps... I have found ones dating back to the late 1800s also ones showing Atlanta when it was broken down in to wards to see how big 4 ward really was and where 5 ward original boundaries

Old 03-30-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Hello, Alter... I found this excellent map fragment at a website dedicated to the history of Midtown, mostly when it was the hippie "Strip" of the 1960s...

The Strip | The Strip Project

"14th Street had been an upscale neighborhood until recently. Now the area was slated for demolition and development. Meanwhile large mansions were rented for just over $100 a month. By 1967 it had become a magnet for artistic and political people. On warm nights the street was a neighborhood party from Peachtree down to Piedmont Park [...] The Strip started on Peachtree around 8th Street with the Krystal and Middle Earth Head Shop. By 10th Street it was in full bloom to about 12th street then scaled down until 14th Street, the Freaky people’s main street to Piedmont Park. A place for cars and the hip crowd to be seen. In the early seventies a visit to Atlanta was sure to include a trip to view The Strip..."

Here's the close-up view from the site:

The Old New York Book Shop was on the Juniper Street location, an old house, from at least 1976-1983, but may have been gone after 1987 or so, which was the last time I remember going there.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:24 PM

3,694 posts, read 5,935,821 times
A big shocker to me looking at some older aerial photographs was that 10th Street was discontinuous way back in the day. Imagine if that were still the case!

Old 03-30-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
I have used google to find old Atlanta maps... I have found ones dating back to the late 1800s also ones showing Atlanta when it was broken down in to wards to see how big 4 ward really was and where 5 ward original boundaries
Do you happen to still have links to the maps?

I know I'm not the only one here who would find them of great interest.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:

I see now that the original location of the Old New York Book Shop was on Piedmont Road, before moving to Juniper Street.

Cliff Graubert reveals the story of Old New York Bookshop

"I drove down to Atlanta with about 3500 books and opened the Old New York Book Shop. I called it that because I thought of Book Row in downtown New York on 4th Avenue which had twenty-two bookstores in a five block span. That was in 1971 [...] I opened my store on Piedmont Road just south of Piedmont Park in 1971. My landlord was Mr. Dobbins of Dobbins Heating and Air Conditioning. He was a character and very good to me. I signed a three year lease. Later on I purchased the building on Juniper Street." -Cliff Graubert

And the Old New York Book Shop still exists in online form.

The Old New York Book Shop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta