Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:30 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Were the teachers getting bonuses for fixing the tests?
Nope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:30 AM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Were the teachers getting bonuses for fixing the tests?
They got bonuses based on meeting targets for test scores.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:47 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Two former judges on convicted APS educators: Jail neither mandated nor appropriate | Get Schooled

Old 04-09-2015, 05:01 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Interesting. I think the damage to their reputation has already been done. They're disgraced as educators, they'd have to find other work which they probably have no experience of now. If their entire professional life has been as an educator they have no prior work experience to help them get a job. They're starting from scratch.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:20 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
I believe a short prison stint is in order. They harmed our kids. This is t like getting caught with a joint. This damaged others. Children.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:31 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Interesting. I think the damage to their reputation has already been done. They're disgraced as educators, they'd have to find other work which they probably have no experience of now. If their entire professional life has been as an educator they have no prior work experience to help them get a job. They're starting from scratch.
Note that those 2 former judges included one who was defending Beverly Hall.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:16 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
Hear hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I believe a short prison stint is in order. They harmed our kids. This is t like getting caught with a joint. This damaged others. Children.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:21 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I normally agree with your posts, but I don't agree with this one. In the spirit of peaceful discourse, will you state a few reasons how the children were harmed?

If the dispute was over the teacher doing a bad job of teaching, then fine. That is not the dispute as I understand it though. I can understand feelings of resentment from those who had legitimately excelled; I get that. It's an epic ethical screw up that got caught on media, but I don't quite see how changing a score damaged the children.

I am a reasonable person, and maybe more relevantly, I am a realist so I'm just wanting to hear how you think the children were hurt. I'll spot you one up front that they would have flunked and perhaps had a better chance of grasping the class material - maybe so but probably not. They seem to turn into angry, bitter, embarrassed adults who fairly or not feel like underachievers and take it out on others.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:00 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times
Wanted to not comment until the sentences are handed down.

Let me just provide a couple links to articles, for those who really want to educate themselves (pun intended).

The first gives a very lengthy and detailed background to what the teachers were faced with:

Wrong Answer

The second questions why they were charged with racketeering instead of actually cheating:

The Atlanta Cheating “Scandal” is also a Legal Scandal

If anybody gets the maximum sentence, I will be very surprised.

Last edited by Fubarbundy; 04-11-2015 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: :-)

Old 04-11-2015, 12:58 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
Children get passed on and cannot read etc when they should be held back when teachers essentially lie about the skills that children have - which is what these teachers did. Those children who had their scores changed were possibly deprived of summer school enrichmt, etc (in some cases, you can only receive it if you've failed the CRCT for example). Some parents actually do not have a ton of education and may be under the misconception that their child has suitable skills if he/she "passed." Then you have kids who have to deal with the self-esteem issues of sitting in the next grade level when they do not have the skills. Graduating illiterates. It's not just via CRCT. It is a whole system in APS - the ability to do administrative passes and kids cannot even read in high school and upper level primary...literally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I normally agree with your posts, but I don't agree with this one. In the spirit of peaceful discourse, will you state a few reasons how the children were harmed?

If the dispute was over the teacher doing a bad job of teaching, then fine. That is not the dispute as I understand it though. I can understand feelings of resentment from those who had legitimately excelled; I get that. It's an epic ethical screw up that got caught on media, but I don't quite see how changing a score damaged the children.

I am a reasonable person, and maybe more relevantly, I am a realist so I'm just wanting to hear how you think the children were hurt. I'll spot you one up front that they would have flunked and perhaps had a better chance of grasping the class material - maybe so but probably not. They seem to turn into angry, bitter, embarrassed adults who fairly or not feel like underachievers and take it out on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta