Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 02:20 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,406,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Thanks for the link.

Apparently, some North Fulton Republican Senator, a so-called transit supporter wouldn't allow the extra .5% tax to be voted on because "there wasn't enough time".

What a bunch of bunk.

You mean to tell me that within the two or more years since the failed 2012 T-SPLOST referendum, NO ONE was discussing the issue?

There weren't any long serving State Senators & Representatives in the MARTA counties who were hashing out plans to effectively improve transit behind the scenes in that 2+ year period? No one was plotting any potential pitfalls or alibis behind any pro-transit legislation to be put forward for a vote?

So they only talk this stuff during session?

My god...
Not surprised. If theres an area in the MARTA counties where opposition would be concentrated it's definitely North Fulton, which is kind ironic since the 400 expansion would help them a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 04:00 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,306,779 times
All I'm saying is, there better not be any attempt to place a HOT lane on I-20 east/west in South Dekalb if a MARTA rail isn't built first...or it's lynch mob time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Not surprised. If theres an area in the MARTA counties where opposition would be concentrated it's definitely North Fulton, which is kind ironic since the 400 expansion would help them a lot.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:35 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
As Gideon J. Tucker famously observed, "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the Legislature is in session."

It could have been worse, but not much.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:30 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Thanks for the link.

Apparently, some North Fulton Republican Senator, a so-called transit supporter wouldn't allow the extra .5% tax to be voted on because "there wasn't enough time".

What a bunch of bunk.

You mean to tell me that within the two or more years since the failed 2012 T-SPLOST referendum, NO ONE was discussing the issue?

There weren't any long serving State Senators & Representatives in the MARTA counties who were hashing out plans to effectively improve transit behind the scenes in that 2+ year period? No one was plotting any potential pitfalls or alibis behind any pro-transit legislation to be put forward for a vote?

So they only talk this stuff during session?

My god...
Article said Sen. Beach voted for it to keep the bill alive. The House removed the 1.5% amendment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
There is minimal opposition to a Red Line extension in North Fulton, and for good reason, as they've been paying that 1% sales tax for 43 years now.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The House removed the 1.5% amendment.
That makes it even worse. Where the heck are the House Republicans who represent the MARTA counties on this?

They should've been riding for MARTA rail extensions at EVERY STEP of the way since the failed 2012 TSPLOST referendum.

That they aren't?

Shows their ineptitude and total failure at dealing with transportation. They are caught up in the same traffic jams as the rest of us.

Are they really that stupid?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 04-04-2015 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Gold Dome stupidity is so blatant. Am I the only one who sees this?

Old 04-06-2015, 12:44 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I have been surprised at what they passed. There are some things that passed that are way more "progressive" than you would expect from a tea party heavy legislature. I'd have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.

The P3 bill was HUGE!!!!!!!
"P3"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post
I don't think the legislature is very tea party heavy. There's certainly a handful in there, but the establishment Republicans led the charge. They definitely surpassed my expectations, and that probably says more about my expectations than about the legislature.
Yeah, I think our legislature is more corporate Republican than Tea Party Republican. No way in hell the Tea Party would have pushed through any kind of bill to help any transportation issues within a 30 mile radius of the Gold Dome.

Also. Is that tradition of tossing all the papers up in the air after the final gavel a Georgia General Assembly tradition, or is that a thing elsewhere? Am I the only person who finds it very juvenile?

Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
"P3"?
Public-private partnership
Quote:
Also. Is that tradition of tossing all the papers up in the air after the final gavel a Georgia General Assembly tradition, or is that a thing elsewhere? Am I the only person who finds it very juvenile?
Not much different than graduates tossing their caps at a commencement ceremony.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:26 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Quote:

Not much different than graduates tossing their caps at a commencement ceremony.
College graduates aren't in charge of an entire state with 10 million people. I would hope college graduates are a little more juvenile than the legislature.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:56 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,406,673 times
Quote:
There is minimal opposition to a Red Line extension in North Fulton, and for good reason, as they've been paying that 1% sales tax for 43 years now.
I meant for the tax increase not the extension itself, but it's not an option now anyway.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
College graduates aren't in charge of an entire state with 10 million people. I would hope college graduates are a little more juvenile than the legislature.
Seriously? That bothers you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: