Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 06:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,042 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are a family of 5 plus a dog. We are planning on buying a condo in the Alpharetta area and live in it temporarily for a year until we decide on permanent area to live in. After that, we are planning to keep the condo as a rental. Is there a law that specifies number of bedrooms per number of people/heartbeats for condos in Alpharetta?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:10 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Don't Know about 5 people in 2 bedrooms,, But if your plan is only to be in it for a year, I would rent, Find where you want to be then buy.

Being a single unit landlord is hard, also Condo HOA have rental limits, so you might not be able to rent it out, until you can get a "Licence" from the HOA, that can take years till your unit moves to the top of the list to be able to rent it out.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:46 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
I don't for sure if there is a law in Alpharetta or anywhere in the metro ATL area about how many people can stay in a condo you are buying. It sounds like you are planning to buy and then rent the condo later.

Generally, apartments for rent have rules about the number of occupants per bedroom, but I have never seen it enforced. In many areas, it is typical to see two parents with three children in a two bedroom apartment.

I agree with the previous poster that you should rent for the first year until you get your bearings. You could even rent a house in Alpharetta for the same price as a condo which would pretty much eliminate your concerns.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:58 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
I expect that owning that condo is only going to diminish what you will qualify for in a home mortgage for your new house - you are much better off renting and if you want to buy rental property at a later date you can do that

Old 04-05-2015, 03:16 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I expect that owning that condo is only going to diminish what you will qualify for in a home mortgage for your new house - you are much better off renting and if you want to buy rental property at a later date you can do that
Lorilove makes an excellent point that unless you buy the condo outright that having an existing mortgage will diminish the amount you can get for the house mortgage in a year.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,042 times
Thank you all so very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: