Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:48 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times

Advertisements

Ha. Die hard fans live hundreds or thousands of miles away and you still won't support a team that moved not even 15 miles up 75 and is 2 miles outside of Atlanta city limits. All because it's Cobb county and you can't stand it. There wasn't even this much crying when the Cowboys of all teams moved from Dallas County to Tarrant County. I mean geez the Marlins made a change. From Florida to Miami and from drab to flashy and colorful and a new stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:10 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Exactly, because there is more to being a fan than distance. The Braves could have moved half a mile and been just as insulting to their history and would have lost me as a fan.

You don't get it. All my examples are to show that it is not about the distance. Yankees and Mets / Cubs and White Sox are less than 10 miles from each other, does that make them the same team? Nope. The Braves are not the same team I grew up with in basically every way possible besides the name. You can pretend to be a fan of the name, but the true fans know it is not the same team any more.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:31 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
The Braves look much better than I thought they would back when I first heard about losing Heyward. They have a fast and experienced outfield that is on par with last year's and roughly the same infield with a better 2nd baseman. There are some really good hitters in the lineup and some good bench players. All in all the team looks nearly as good as last year. I know it's hard to let go of players that are fan favorites, but it happens all the time in professional sports and especially in baseball. I was very upset over the Prado trade a couple of years ago but that turned out well. I think as fans we can't always see the big picture. I will miss Heyward, Kimbrell, Upton, Gattis, etc but, like every year, we have to move on and support our team as always. This "I gave up on the Braves" attitude is not one that I recognize in true baseball (or sports) fans.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This "I gave up on the Braves" attitude is not one that I recognize in true baseball (or sports) fans.
It's not really an "I give up" attitude. It is more like the same feeling towards Braves that fans felt towards the Dodger's owner:

Quote:
...O'Malley [the Dodgers Owner] was so hated by Brooklyn Dodger fans, after the move to California, that it was said, "If you asked a Brooklyn Dodger fan, if you had a gun with only two bullets in it and were in a room with Hitler, Stalin and O'Malley, who would you shoot? The answer: O'Malley, twice!"

Old 04-07-2015, 09:59 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It's not really an "I give up" attitude. It is more like the same feeling towards Braves that fans felt towards the Dodger's owner:
Maybe not for you, but some of the comments I've read here display an "I give up" attitude. I don't believe that those are the true Braves or baseball fans. True fans don't turn their backs on their team so easily over trades like these because they happen ALL THE TIME.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Maybe not for you, but some of the comments I've read here display an "I give up" attitude. I don't believe that those are the true Braves or baseball fans. True fans don't turn their backs on their team so easily over trades like these because they happen ALL THE TIME.
You realize most of these people are well aware that trades happen all the time and that that is not the foundation of their motivations towards the Braves, correct?

Old 04-07-2015, 10:05 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,169 times
Quote:
You realize most of these people are well aware that trades happen all the time and that that is not the foundation of their motivations towards the Braves, correct?
The OP was about the trades. That changed with the arrival of the Butthurt Brigade, beginning with you in the first reply.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Anyone ditching the Braves as a fan because of a move from Summerhill to Cumberland was never a real Braves fan to begin with. End of discussion. (Well, this little rabbit trail of a discussion that more precisely ended with CameronH's comments, brilliant by the way).

Back to the recent trades and the season upcoming.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:05 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Exactly, because there is more to being a fan than distance. The Braves could have moved half a mile and been just as insulting to their history and would have lost me as a fan.

You don't get it. All my examples are to show that it is not about the distance. Yankees and Mets / Cubs and White Sox are less than 10 miles from each other, does that make them the same team? Nope. The Braves are not the same team I grew up with in basically every way possible besides the name. You can pretend to be a fan of the name, but the true fans know it is not the same team any more.
Of course they aren't the same team as when you grew up. Players get older! They retire! They decline in ability! This is nothing new at all! And of course two different franchises aren't the same team!

Like I said before, the entire 1995 WS winning team is gone. No one on that team is still with the team today. Doesn't mean I gave up on the team as they all left. That's to be expected. Players come and go. They're still the Braves. They still represent the Atlanta media market and many others across the south.

Please tell me how the team has changed other than the players. The philosophy in play, getting personnel to fit the system. Going after power hitters or focusing on small ball instead. Tweaking the starting rotation. I wanna know exactly how the culture has been changing like you said it has.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:44 AM

687 posts, read 744,475 times
Players do come and go but what fans (of any team) really want is a successful team....wins puts bums on seats.....just look at the Hawks attendances this season.

I'm really interested to see how this summer pans out for the Braves, do they really want maybe 30 or 40% (I'm guessing) of their fan base becoming dis-interested because they are a below 500 team by the time August rolls around?

Those Tuesday evening late summer match ups against the Marlins will be (even more) lonely affairs for just the die-hards.

I expect some aggressive ticket promotions to come through soon to entice the floating fans back or have the Braves given up on the remainder of their time at Turner Field altogether (in terms of big crowds)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta