Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:39 AM

687 posts, read 744,871 times

Advertisements

Opening day is here but I feel like a child whose candy has been taken away.......Heywood and J-Upt was bad but now losing the Killer Kimbrel one day before the season opener....gotta say I'm pretty devastated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:41 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
I have given up on the Braves for good.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:50 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Having low expectations for this year is quite cathartic honestly.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
My hope is the powers that be know what they are doing. Really looks like a lame brained decision for the present... but if it is truly laying the foundation for the Braves to return to their 90s heydays, then I'll take a rebuilding season. Better than puttering along at a mediocre level year after year after year.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:57 AM

477 posts, read 593,978 times
I was already expecting to be low-middle of the pack, but this move puts us in the cellar as far as I'm concerned. I know Kimbrel was a huge tradeable asset that would net us a lot in return (which we only got two prospects, a draft pick, and an outfielder who's injured more than he plays, in addition to having to pay Carlos Quentin $8 million just to designate him for assignment) but here's what I don't get: We've been told ever since the stadium deal that the new revenue stream it created would help us to sign guys long-term and attract free agents. We extended five core guys we wanted to be there for the move to Cobb and keep us competitive while we did a soft rebuild, similar to what the Hawks just did. Heyward for two years, Kimbrel, Freeman, Simmons, and Teheran for long-term deals. If the stadium deal was supposedly a means to stay competitive in the short and long term, and to replace the lost revenue from being stuck in that crappy TV deal for the next ten years, then why have we just traded two of the five guys we were trying to build around? And does that mean Freeman, Simmons, and Teheran are next? The price for getting rid of BJ's contract couldn't possibly have gone from giving away Evan Gattis to giving away a future Hall of Fame candidate in Craig Kimbrel in just three months. I find that to be ridiculous. I think Liberty Media is slicing payroll because they just got the news from Forbes that their asset, the Atlanta Braves, is now valued at over a billion dollars, and they are considering cashing out. Ever since the Donald Sterling incident and subsequent Steve Ballmer purchase of the Clippers for $1.2 billion MORE than they were worth, every sports franchise is currently in a value bubble, and more and more owners are looking to cash out every day, knowing full well it won't last. Liberty Media sees what the Clippers got, and what the Nets and Hawks are about to get, and they are trying to take all the money they can out of the franchise before selling it off at almost a 500% profit. Expect more payroll to be cut. Corporate ownership is such a drag. The only plus side to my theory is that it would conclude with Atlanta fans being rid of both Atlanta Spirit Group and Liberty Media. Hopefully we get some owners that care about the product on the field.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:05 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
My hope is the powers that be know what they are doing. Really looks like a lame brained decision for the present... but if it is truly laying the foundation for the Braves to return to their 90s heydays, then I'll take a rebuilding season. Better than puttering along at a mediocre level year after year after year.
This. I have been emotionally upset about nearly every single offseason move they've made, but eventually I always come back to reality: the Braves have NOT won a playoff series since 2001!!! It's not like we're breaking up the 90s braves. Honestly they should have started doing this 4 or 5 years ago.

I've given up hope for this season long ago, but it does look like we'll be good again in 2 or 3 years once our newly acquired youngins in the farm system start panning out. Plus we'll have LOADS of money to spend. And hopefully get rid of Fredi Gonzalez.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:14 AM

477 posts, read 593,978 times
Sorry for such a long-winded response, but honestly, I'm just really pissed off right now.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:21 AM

687 posts, read 744,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
Sorry for such a long-winded response, but honestly, I'm just really pissed off right now.
No need to apologize...I'm with you HH

Old 04-06-2015, 10:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The heydays of winning 1 WS in that span, while another team in the same division, which never won the division, won 2 WS?
I gave up on them after 'the announcement.'

Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,644 times
Let's go HAWKS!

As for the Braves...eh...2016?

- skbl17
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta