Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 04:05 AM

14 posts, read 21,237 times

Advertisements

How are basic living conditions like safety, noise, traffic, etc.?

I've heard this area is up and coming, in the process of gentrifying, and has a vibrant arts and culture scene. What are your thoughts on that? Is it still transitioning, or is it already there, or is this just wishful thinking? How are the restaurants in the immediate area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,513 times
Still transitioning, although North Ormewood/Glenwood Park is further along. Hopefully NPU-W figures out the rest of Moreland south of I-20. At least it's close to the city, EAV, Edgewood, Reynoldstown, and Grant Park.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:01 AM

445 posts, read 516,189 times
I was looking at real estate listings in Kirkwood and Grant Park last night, and it's crazy how much the prices have gone up over the past two years since I was looking at homes. Kirkwood property values seem to be about where Oakhurst's were about two years/two-and-a-half years ago. In early 2013 and through part of 2014, less than $300K would buy a recently renovated 3/2 in Kirkwood or Grant Park; now there are 2/1s that haven't had anything done to them selling for almost that much. I haven't looked recently at Ormewood Park, but it's right next to Grant Park and the houses there aren't that much cheaper.

Two years ago, people would say Kirkwood was "up and coming," but if the prices houses are selling for is any indication, it's already there. I think Ormewood Park is in the same boat. There's just too much wealth in the area now, it's not going to be affordable again anytime soon. That's not to say there isn't any crime there, but if someone is waiting to buy there until it's as safe as Alpharetta, they're going to paying out the nose. The real deals were there a couple of years ago; if I was interested in the area and could afford it, I would buy something now.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:19 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlawyer2010 View Post
How are basic living conditions like safety, noise, traffic, etc.?

I've heard this area is up and coming, in the process of gentrifying, and has a vibrant arts and culture scene. What are your thoughts on that? Is it still transitioning, or is it already there, or is this just wishful thinking? How are the restaurants in the immediate area?

Thanks!
I live in Ormewood Park and love it. One thing to note is that Ormewood does not have a central commercial area and so it is not as well known. But there are a lot of great options on the edge or a short walk from the neighborhood. A couple of my favorite areas to walk to are East Atlanta Village & Glenwood Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
Hopefully NPU-W figures out the rest of Moreland south of I-20.
There has been a good amount of work planning and zoning for future development of this corridor. You can find details of what is planned for the south Moreland area here: City of Atlanta, GA : South Moreland Avenue LCI Redevelopment Plan

Old 04-07-2015, 08:27 AM

222 posts, read 242,970 times
As a Edgewood resident my bias is obvious. I personally think Ormewood Park has a lot of potential. Unfortunately the new Kroger going into Glenwood Park is going to be a net negative for the area. Traffic woes are going to increase and because the area is not surrounded by other intown neighborhoods or conveniences the area is much more car dependent than areas north of I-20. In addition, the beltline from Reynoldstown thru Glenwood Park has been delayed and until the beltline connects glenwood park to grant park i think the area is going to see very modest growth and improvement.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:39 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Ormewood Park sure seems nice to me.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:42 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,024 times
Its at the top of my list of neighborhoods to move to. The potential with the Beltline is incredible. Love the big bridges the ROW has in the neighborhood. My bet is that it will end up being one of the most picturesque sections of the Beltline.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:24 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,547 times
We lived just outside the Glenwood Park development in North Ormewood Park and had no complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
. Kirkwood property values seem to be about where Oakhurst's were about two years/two-and-a-half years ago. In early 2013 and through part of 2014, less than $300K would buy a recently renovated 3/2 in Kirkwood or Grant Park; now there are 2/1s that haven't had anything done to them selling for almost that much. I haven't looked recently at Ormewood Park, but it's right next to Grant Park and the houses there aren't that much cheaper.
This is a fairly accurate synopsis. In mid-late 2012 you could buy a nice little 3/2 in Oakhurst for $325k. Now those are all $425K or being torn down for $800K infill builds, and the 3/2's in Kirkwood are $325K. I think Kirkwood is at or nearing a price ceiling until the public schools beyond elementary can show some forward momentum. Drew is at 100% capacity, pretty much only enrolling siblings of current students these days, and not really an option worth relying on for newcomers to the area. Grant Park is in the same boat with it's charter school. Decatur's prices have continued to expand because the quality of the middle/high school still makes the high taxes and cost premiums a justifiable expense when compared to going private. That's not (yet) the case for the eastern Atlanta neighborhoods.

Last edited by red92s; 04-07-2015 at 11:37 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 01:13 PM

25 posts, read 38,845 times
I think Ormewood Park is a very nice neighborhood. I thought it was quiet and very lush. My wife and I were interested in houses there, but the inventory was extremely low when we were looking last year.

We did look at one house on Glenwood Ave. which in technically North Ormewood Park, it was more transitional but we really liked the Glenwood Park development.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:49 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,910 times
Ormewood Park and Woodland Hills (directly to the south/ southwest of Ormewood Park, not the one next to Morningside/ Lenox Park) are lovely little nooks in southeast Atlanta in my opinion. Pretty ,winding, and wooded streets with vintage (not exactly historic) homes many with porches and most well kept. They really are some of my favorite Intown neighborhoods, but I am from the Forest Park area, and they do remind me of some of the quaint, older sections of Forest Park. Really, going out Confederate Avenue, I would not think them too far a drive/ walk from the grocery stores on Moreland Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta