Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:33 PM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Yes, it's the Democrats' fault.
Democrats tend to fight tooth and nail any attempt to limit access to the courts or liability. That's a reality.

Its going to be tough to get manufacturers to do self-driving cars without some form of liability limits. That's also a reality (in the US-few other countries have the same unpredictability and size of verdicts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 04:37 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its going to be tough to get manufacturers to do self-driving cars without some form of liability limits. That's also a reality (in the US-few other countries have the same unpredictability and size of verdicts).
Not really. Developers are already self-insuring the self-driving cars on the road. Since the cars are safer, premiums will be lower, I really don't see any issue with the liability angle. Just like liability is not a real problem for your refrigerator, garbage disposal or any other appliance. Sure there are something issues, but the manufactures are responsible for any issues caused by their product.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:01 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
The cheapest solution would be to build an I-75 bypass west of I-285 to get Florida-bound traffic separated from local Atlanta traffic.

New interstates can be built through undeveloped countryside for very little money. Look at NC, which has constructed probably 1,000 miles of new divided highways over the past 30 years.

An I-75 bypass would take 40,000 vehicles off the downtown connector.

Problem solved for about $2 billion.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:35 PM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
The cheapest solution would be to build an I-75 bypass west of I-285 to get Florida-bound traffic separated from local Atlanta traffic.

New interstates can be built through undeveloped countryside for very little money. Look at NC, which has constructed probably 1,000 miles of new divided highways over the past 30 years.

I was reading this "very little money" and then realized you were speaking relatively-$2 billion.

Cartersville wanted one about 4 years ago, but GDOT wasn't supportive and some of the rural counties didn't like the idea. I agree with you and think a toll road from Cartersville to I-85 near Newnan to Griffin to I-75 and up to I-85 in Gwinnett would be very beneficial to Atlanta.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:06 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Here's an innovative idea, invest in a regional commuter rail network. It'll be cheaper than adding lanes, tunneling or double decking. Also, the citizens of Atlanta should have a huge say in the final product because we will be the ones effected everyday by the decisions to accommodate the downtown connector for suburban commuters and drivers passing through.
RIGHT ON!

Old 04-09-2015, 09:50 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

It would almost certainly have to be a tolled highway, which would discourage some cars and trucks from using it. But yeah, I've been slowly warming up to the idea that Atlanta needs an outer loop.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:21 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It would almost certainly have to be a tolled highway, which would discourage some cars and trucks from using it. But yeah, I've been slowly warming up to the idea that Atlanta needs an outer loop.

Same here. I was totally against the Outer Perimeter, but I think portions of it need to be revisited.

We have massive amounts of regional pass-through traffic that really needs to be diverted from the Connector.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:40 PM

165 posts, read 169,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It will take some very invasive and hard-line legislation to stop self-driving cars. Our government is not that proactive. You might as well ban the internet for fear of hacking.
The internet doesn't move mass amounts of 2+ ton metal objects down a pathway at 50 mph (or course, thanks to net neutrality, I'm sure the internet will ultimately become the virtual equivalent of the Downtown Connector).

Government certainly is not proactive.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:02 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2201987 View Post
The internet doesn't move mass amounts of 2+ ton metal objects down a pathway at 50 mph (or course, thanks to net neutrality, I'm sure the internet will ultimately become the virtual equivalent of the Downtown Connector).

Government certainly is not proactive.
Your ill-informed opinions about internet legislation have little to nothing to do with the downtown connector, the topic of discussion.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:44 AM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Your ill-informed opinions about internet legislation have little to nothing to do with the downtown connector, the topic of discussion.
He's wrong about net neutrality, but spot-on about the hazards. No one is going to be in imminent threat if their computer is hacked. But if their car is hacked, they could easily be killed just by inputting a few simple commands. Cars are already way too computerized which has already caused all kinds of problems on their own, the last thing we need to do is make it easier for third parties to make things even worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta