Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:09 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
...for suspected racism.

When having pictures taken to represent the residents of Brookhaven for the Cherry Blossom festival, the photographer brought in two teen female models: one black, the other Latina. Upon seeing the models, the communications director Rosemary Taylor told the photographer that the models “were not the type of people the City of Brookhaven wanted representing them.” Then another official asked the models and photograher to leave.

What "kind" of people did she mean? Girls? Teens? Blacks? Hispanics? Do they not respresent the people of Brookhaven?

So much for Atlanta being "diverse."

Brookhaven Communications Director fired because of remarks made at Cherry Blossom Festival | The Brookhaven Post | Brookhaven, GA
Maybe because one of the models had lots of makeup and a low cut blouse?

No telling what the director was thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:32 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,005 times
Great thread.

Back on the subject, to be fair, Brookhaven is about as diverse as North Forsyth...unless you consider the slice of Buford Hwy they annexed.

Obviously that is a dumb comment she made. Obviously is was stupid to hire models (for what?). Typically when you hire models the company supplying the product (model) will ask what you want.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:44 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Chicago is known as one of the most racist/racial-tension cities in the country. Don't throw stones in glass houses.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:06 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Great thread.

Back on the subject, to be fair, Brookhaven is about as diverse as North Forsyth...unless you consider the slice of Buford Hwy they annexed.

Obviously that is a dumb comment she made. Obviously is was stupid to hire models (for what?). Typically when you hire models the company supplying the product (model) will ask what you want.
Odd part is that the photographer was doing his own shoot, not one for Brookhaven. Strange that he would meet the PR director while doing his own work.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:30 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Odd part is that the photographer was doing his own shoot, not one for Brookhaven. Strange that he would meet the PR director while doing his own work.
My understanding that he was working on multiple projects at the same time. The models were for another project. However, both projects required shots taken at the festival. He wasn't going to use the shots with the models for Brookhaven.

I don't want to pass judgment, but it's hard to think of anything other than the worst of what this woman meant with her words. I pray that it is not indicative of the atmosphere the City of Brookhaven is trying to impose. I lived in Brookhaven at the the time of the vote for city-hood and voted in favor it. I've sometimes second-guessed myself for the vote that I cast.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:12 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I pray that it is not indicative of the atmosphere the City of Brookhaven is trying to impose.
The article says they fired her for these comments.

What are you going to do when an employee pops off with inappropriate remarks? Reminds me of the fire chief circulating a book condemning gays and lesbians as sexual perverts.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:29 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Chicago is known as one of the most racist/racial-tension cities in the country. Don't throw stones in glass houses.

Yes, Chicago is segregated and has issues with racism. The difference is, Chicagoans both black And white are honest about the segregation and we don't deny that it's an issue and will have open discussions about it.

Atlantans on the other hand like to deny it and pretend the city is diverse when Atlanta is very much white on the north side and black on the south side, just like Chicago is.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:39 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
My understanding that he was working on multiple projects at the same time. The models were for another project. However, both projects required shots taken at the festival. He wasn't going to use the shots with the models for Brookhaven.

I don't want to pass judgment, but it's hard to think of anything other than the worst of what this woman meant with her words. I pray that it is not indicative of the atmosphere the City of Brookhaven is trying to impose. I lived in Brookhaven at the the time of the vote for city-hood and voted in favor it. I've sometimes second-guessed myself for the vote that I cast.
I can think of lots of other interpretations. Maybe she wanted family shots. Maybe she wanted "wholesome" images instead of "glamour." Maybe she wanted older people (i.e. not teens-maybe 20s-30s-40s-50s).

But its doubtful they would have fired her so quickly unless they believed it was based on racism.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:57 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Maybe because one of the models had lots of makeup and a low cut blouse?

No telling what the director was thinking.
If it was a white teen--and more specially, a blonde--in make up and a low-cut blouse, do you think she would've said the same thing?

Both models are clearly minorities.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
You can stop bickering now. As in - NOW.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta