Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:06 AM

222 posts, read 588,383 times

Advertisements

Glenridge Hall faces demolition in the near future | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

THE STORY

Thomas K. Glenn, a pillar of Atlanta business in the early 20th Century, built this estate in 1929 on 400 acres of farmland north of Atlanta. Designed by Samuel Inman Cooper, the Tudor Revival mansion required 60 men and a calendar year to complete. The property also included stables, barns, smith and carpentry shops, and housing for workers. Thomas and his wife, Elizabeth lived at Glenridge until his death in 1946. Beginning in the 1980s, T.K. Glenn’s granddaughter and her husband fought to preserve the house and its setting. Glenridge Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and the couple thoroughly restored the home with the dream that it be available for the public to enjoy. The home has hosted many charitable events and retreats over the years and has been used in films such as Driving Miss Daisy and, most recently, The Vampire Diaries.

THE THREAT

Of the original 400 acres, only 76 acres remained as part of the Glenridge property, and was recently sold to upscale home developer, Ashton Woods, which plans to subdivide and develop part of the property and has sold another part to Mercedes Benz.

The city of Sandy Springs, where Glenridge is located, issued on March 9th, 2015, a demolition permit to Southern Environmental Services, Inc., a Marietta-based environmental construction company that has partnered with Ashton Woods on other bulldozing projects. Demolition crews could begin work anytime between April 1 and Sept. 5.

THE OPPORTUNITY

There are several different financial incentives, including a 20 percent federal tax credit, 25 percent state tax credit, and a property tax freeze, available to rehabilitate historic properties. Glenridge Hall remains in “immaculate condition” due to its past owners’ maintenance. The developer could also convert the manor into a community clubhouse benefiting future homeowners or retrofit the property into condominiums.

https://www.change.org/p/mercedes-be...glenridge-hall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 07:20 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,864,916 times
Looks like it is in good shape. It would make a wonderful museum/cultural center.

It would be nice to honor the Glenn family which has done so much for Atlanta.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:57 AM

747 posts, read 1,546,279 times
The crazy/sad thing is that the family is the one pushing for demolition.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 AM

Well, its the granddaughter, Caroline Mayson, that controls the property - her and her alone. But I suspect that Ashton Woods is making her do it; they certainly don't want the bad press were they to tear it down after the land deal.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:29 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,380,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
Well, its the granddaughter, Caroline Mayson, that controls the property - her and her alone. But I suspect that Ashton Woods is making her do it; they certainly don't want the bad press were they to tear it down after the land deal.
I suspect that the owners' greed is making her do it as she will get a sizable chunk from the developers...

Pity...

Last edited by AtlantaIsHot; 04-01-2015 at 01:36 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 01:29 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,676,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Looks like it is in good shape. It would make a wonderful museum/cultural center.

It would be nice to honor the Glenn family which has done so much for Atlanta.
Sandy Springs has an active and vibrant historical society. The plans for the property have been known for at least 6 months and there has been no activiity (until recently)to try and "save" it.

There is a growing body of academic research and practical belief that there are too many "house" museums.

The great historic house museum debate - Ideas - The Boston Globe

https://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&ty.../27.1.moe.html

This issue is going to continue to come up in many communities -- how do you preserve history (in terms of historical houses and museums) in a meaningful and sustainable way. I know of one metro area city where citizens are lining up on different sides related to a "historical" home. Use city funds to renovate it or use them to build much needed recreation facilities.

I have a friend who believes that historic homes make great professional (lawyers and accountants -- generally not medical) offices. You see this a fair amount in some cities.

Additionally, if you read the first link, many house museums really struggle to remain viable.

I am sorry that the house isn't being incorporated into the project. It would make a wonderful amenity for the future residents. Having attended several events there in the last few years, it is a beautiful home and makes for nice events esp. in nice weather. However, it would be a real liability for the residents in the future in terms of maintenance etc.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:25 PM

23,509 posts, read 44,187,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Sandy Springs has an active and vibrant historical society. The plans for the property have been known for at least 6 months and there has been no activiity (until recently)to try and "save" it.

There is a growing body of academic research and practical belief that there are too many "house" museums.

This issue is going to continue to come up in many communities -- how do you preserve history (in terms of historical houses and museums) in a meaningful and sustainable way. I know of one metro area city where citizens are lining up on different sides related to a "historical" home. Use city funds to renovate it or use them to build much needed recreation facilities.

I have a friend who believes that historic homes make great professional (lawyers and accountants -- generally not medical) offices. You see this a fair amount in some cities.

Additionally, if you read the first link, many house museums really struggle to remain viable.

I am sorry that the house isn't being incorporated into the project. It would make a wonderful amenity for the future residents. Having attended several events there in the last few years, it is a beautiful home and makes for nice events esp. in nice weather. However, it would be a real liability for the residents in the future in terms of maintenance etc.
As usual, lmm, a well considered and insightful post. I can see both sides of the issue. It seems such a terrible thing to destroy something so beautiful. Architecture in my life is elevated to the rank of other fine arts. Callanwolde, Lullwater Estate, Barrington Hall, Mimosa Hall, et al could have been lost to us for the same justification.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:37 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,864,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post

Very interesting, lmm. I sort of like the idea of turning it into professional office space.

If it's not feasible to save it, so be it. Still, it's a lovely structure with strong ties to the city's past. The Glenn family's generosity has touched many aspects of life in our town.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:39 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,780,656 times
I am sorry to see the house and property go but some of the articles that I have read clearly indicate this is not an issue of greed but of economics where there is a great deal of cost associated in bringing the house up to code which at this point there has been little to no interest in.

My understanding is the family is trying to do a controlled demolition where much of the house is disassembled and those architecturally significant pieces are preserved for future user.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:09 AM

I call BS on both the economic feasibility statements and the "Dignified death" statement. First, the house is in perfect condition thanks to the current owner's parents, so there is little that would need to be done. However, to convert uses there would be plenty of work, but with both the federal and state rehabilitation tax credits, other preservation incentives, and a bit of corporate ingenuity, it would not be nearly as expensive as Rusty Paul and the Mayson family lawyer claim. Telling folks that its too expensive is a tired excuse used all too often to justify demolition. And salvaging the house does not ameliorate its destruction - that is like saying "its cool that I just murdered someone, I harvested their organs first and plan to reuse them"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta