Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 02:21 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theformermariner View Post
I am originally from Seattle, WA and will be moving to Atlanta in the summer. Now I work in a field that pays a good bit of money and find that Atlanta is going to be a lot more affordable for me than Seattle, job I get there will also pay more. Culturally, I am an American but ethnically I am of Indian heritage (Punjabi). My girlfriend (now fiance) looks a lot more different than I do, she is of Scandinavian heritage and is a tall blonde. It is not unheard of for Asian and Indian men in Seattle to date and marry white women, among the younger generations here it is actually becoming common.

I am used to a lot of my friends and coworkers constantly telling me that I have a good looking wife but they have also been telling me something about Atlanta that has me somewhat worried.

From what I have heard, people in Atlanta are more than okay with white women and black men couples since they are the norm but seeing a young interracial couple that involves white women with someone that looks more "different" (indian) is going to cause a lot of issues and will be subject to tons of racism. Even though Atlanta has a large indian and a large white population, interracial dating between the two races is practically unheard of unless it is a white guy dating an indian girl. The other way around never ever happens in the city at all, especially not among the younger crowd.

What I wanted to know is, are there any places in Atlanta where a couple like my girlfriend and I won't feel too out of place?
You will not even be noticed...Huge Indian population in and around Atlanta...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 02:22 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,200 times
Quote:
I am originally from Seattle, WA and will be moving to Atlanta in the summer. Now I work in a field that pays a good bit of money and find that Atlanta is going to be a lot more affordable for me than Seattle, job I get there will also pay more. Culturally, I am an American but ethnically I am of Indian heritage (Punjabi). My girlfriend (now fiance) looks a lot more different than I do, she is of Scandinavian heritage and is a tall blonde. It is not unheard of for Asian and Indian men in Seattle to date and marry white women, among the younger generations here it is actually becoming common.

I am used to a lot of my friends and coworkers constantly telling me that I have a good looking wife but they have also been telling me something about Atlanta that has me somewhat worried.

From what I have heard, people in Atlanta are more than okay with white women and black men couples since they are the norm but seeing a young interracial couple that involves white women with someone that looks more "different" (indian) is going to cause a lot of issues and will be subject to tons of racism. Even though Atlanta has a large indian and a large white population, interracial dating between the two races is practically unheard of unless it is a white guy dating an indian girl. The other way around never ever happens in the city at all, especially not among the younger crowd.

What I wanted to know is, are there any places in Atlanta where a couple like my girlfriend and I won't feel too out of place?

Also - I have known many couples like you (South Asian male, White female) pretty much all my life, including my own godparents, so it's not really that crazy of an idea.

I know of several couples around here like that. I can't say that there is any one place they hang out. I do know one friend of mine (the White Female) is really into hanging out with indian women, so she has her own little book club. But I met her at a another friend of ours wedding, and they have been friends since high school - and that was pretty much full of white people. her husband was having the time of his life too. So yeah. not nearly the issue you think it may be.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,640 times
I didn't mean to paint the south as being ignorant, even said in my original post that they are welcoming of black men and white women mixing it up which is very common down there compared to other areas of the country. What I have heard is that a "foreigner" (anyone not black or white) with a white woman that happens to be good looking is going to get a lot of negative attention and will face hostility.

Now in Seattle, white women that are seen as appealing do date Asian and Indian guys, no one makes a big fuss about it. From what I have heard, in Atlanta, it does not happen, especially not among the younger crowd. Black men are seen as acceptable because blacks and whites have lived side by side in the south for generations but I was just unsure of how a couple involving a white woman with someone that looks a bit more ethnically different would be seen.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 6,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
Interracial couples in the South are FAR more common than many people realize. Don't worry about it. Live your life and be happy.
Yes, interracial meaning black men with white women and I do believe such couples are very common in Atlanta. My worry is that couples involving white women with men that are more foreign looking might not be as common and as a result might face some issues.

Just had me thinking a bit though since I have known people from Atlanta that moved to Seattle, if the city has such a large amount of Asians, Indians, and other foreigners then why would interracial dating between men of those backgrounds and American women be so unheard of. All of this coming from people from Atlanta I personally know but I wanted to get other opinions on it just to be sure I am not being lied to by them.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:47 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,613 times
Unless you look like some blissed out sadhu, no one will give a second glance.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:49 PM

Ok not for nothing, but your whole "black men/white women" thing is bordering on offensive.

There are a lot of mixed couples down here or all kinds, black men/white women, white men/black women (I actually know more of those couples, now that I think about it), Asian/White, White/Asian, Black/Latin, Aisan/South Asian, Black/Asian, Black/South Asian....I know people that are in all these relationships. I hope I did not miss any.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:54 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
You know as often as we get this question, I have to wonder...do people ask this so often because:

1. The South has a bad reputation on the race-mixing

or

2. This is an issue in many other places in the country?
Or
3. You have a poster obsessed with the issue who for years has been posting the same basic question in different sub forums, under different names, using different scenarios.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Or
3. You have a poster obsessed with the issue who for years has been posting the same basic question in different sub forums, under different names, using different scenarios.

What a weird little fetish that would be.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:36 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,184 times
Quote:

Pack your bags and hit the road! No one here cares if you're dating your dog; especially if you live in Atlanta proper. Trust me, you and your girlfriend will be as safe as a couple of kittens. MEOW!

Old 04-09-2015, 07:54 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Ok not for nothing, but your whole "black men/white women" thing is bordering on offensive.
I was thinking the same thing, OP's obsession and preconceived "know-it-all" attitude with the specific race pairing issue itself is quite ironic especially given the subject matter of his topic.

OP - I understand you were probably not trying to offend, not consciously anyway, but it might be time to look at the mirror and do some house cleaning of your own before moving to Atlanta. If you move to Atlanta, or anywhere for that matter, with a cynical attitude and such preconceived notions about others and race and what-not, you are not going to be happy/comfortable; you will find yourself acting paranoid and seek out racism or hostility in every glance you get, every turn you make and every time someone says hello! Your worst enemy is the fear that lives within yourself and kills you slowly.

Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta