Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,650 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Seattle, WA and will be moving to Atlanta in the summer. Now I work in a field that pays a good bit of money and find that Atlanta is going to be a lot more affordable for me than Seattle, job I get there will also pay more. Culturally, I am an American but ethnically I am of Indian heritage (Punjabi). My girlfriend (now fiance) looks a lot more different than I do, she is of Scandinavian heritage and is a tall blonde. It is not unheard of for Asian and Indian men in Seattle to date and marry white women, among the younger generations here it is actually becoming common.

I am used to a lot of my friends and coworkers constantly telling me that I have a good looking wife but they have also been telling me something about Atlanta that has me somewhat worried.

From what I have heard, people in Atlanta are more than okay with white women and black men couples since they are the norm but seeing a young interracial couple that involves white women with someone that looks more "different" (indian) is going to cause a lot of issues and will be subject to tons of racism. Even though Atlanta has a large indian and a large white population, interracial dating between the two races is practically unheard of unless it is a white guy dating an indian girl. The other way around never ever happens in the city at all, especially not among the younger crowd.

What I wanted to know is, are there any places in Atlanta where a couple like my girlfriend and I won't feel too out of place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 12:41 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theformermariner View Post
I am originally from Seattle, WA and will be moving to Atlanta in the summer. Now I work in a field that pays a good bit of money and find that Atlanta is going to be a lot more affordable for me than Seattle, job I get there will also pay more. Culturally, I am an American but ethnically I am of Indian heritage (Punjabi). My girlfriend (now fiance) looks a lot more different than I do, she is of Scandinavian heritage and is a tall blonde. It is not unheard of for Asian and Indian men in Seattle to date and marry white women, among the younger generations here it is actually becoming common.

I am used to a lot of my friends and coworkers constantly telling me that I have a good looking wife but they have also been telling me something about Atlanta that has me somewhat worried.

From what I have heard, people in Atlanta are more than okay with white women and black men couples since they are the norm but seeing a young interracial couple that involves white women with someone that looks more "different" (indian) is going to cause a lot of issues and will be subject to tons of racism. Even though Atlanta has a large indian and a large white population, interracial dating between the two races is practically unheard of unless it is a white guy dating an indian girl. The other way around never ever happens in the city at all, especially not among the younger crowd.

What I wanted to know is, are there any places in Atlanta where a couple like my girlfriend and I won't feel too out of place?
I know of at least two couples in my neighborhood who are in your exact same position. In my experience, no one thinks a thing about it. I live in south Forsyth County. Used to live in the city, and have the same experience there as well.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:42 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
You don't have anything to worry about. You plan on living in the city or in the suburbs?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:45 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I can tell you that you're unlikely to experience any racism from the white side of the fence in Atlanta.

I couldn't imagine any from the Indian side, either, but someone in that community would be better equipped to answer that question than I am.

What I can say is that there are so many interracial couples of all kinds in this city that I'd be shocked if anybody even noticed. I could see a Hasidic Jew holding hands with a woman in a full burqua and probably wouldn't bat an eye.

I think what your friends are telling you is wrong. Have any of them actually lived in Atlanta?

The only thing I can think of is that there is a pretty large Indian community in Atlanta. Maybe some of them wouldn't be welcoming to a white woman?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:47 PM

438 posts, read 653,556 times
Interracial couples in the South are FAR more common than many people realize. Don't worry about it. Live your life and be happy.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:53 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,604 times
I am from the Indian subcontinent originally myself and I don't understand who spreads all these stereotypes about Atlanta like these. I hear everyone talking about how Seattle is very depressing and people are always jumping off roofs, bridges and what not but I always take that with a grain of salt and don't just assume everyone is unhappy there!! There is a bad rumor about every town in every country of the world, don't pay attention to those. You are just as likely or unlikely to face some looks and what not as much in Seattle as you would in Atlanta, and not just from the "big bad White folks" but just as likely, in fact more likely, from other Indians...

Best wishes with your move!

Old 04-09-2015, 12:59 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,604 times
The only things you need to worry about are long commute times if you live outside the city and work in the city (just like any other major metropolitan area) and extremely high pollen levels in April, otherwise Atlanta is awesome in every aspect imaginable.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:02 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,562 times
We're going to need a sticky that says interracial couples are okay here.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:17 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,252 times
You know as often as we get this question, I have to wonder...do people ask this so often because:

1. The South has a bad reputation on the race-mixing

or

2. This is an issue in many other places in the country?

Old 04-09-2015, 02:19 PM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theformermariner View Post

This is a reflection on ignorance and prejudice-in Seattle. Its nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta