Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:36 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yeah, the one between Cumberland Mall and Cobb Galleria is pretty nice. I could see adding one between Akers Mill and Cumberland Blvd.
I thought the plan was to add a pedestrian bridge from the Galleria over 285.

I think if they add another one with the intent of safely crossing 41 to get to the stadium, it would either have to be just outside of 285 where Spring Rd turns to Circle 75 (hilly and curvy once your cross) or a better choice would be where Cumberland Blvd meets 41. I cannot remember the street name change when you cross because I think it has already changed. The street is flat enough that you shouldn't get a charley horse after walking or biking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 05:00 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I walk all over in that area since I work in the area. It isn't that bad unless you want to cross Cobb Parkway. Which would be the point of adding another pedestrian bridge to the area. I actually see a need, though others seemingly disagree. I get along fine without one now, but there isn't a stadium in the area yet.

Sounds like you think a walking deck above the entire area would be a good idea.
No, I just don't believe calling an area dominated by large roadways and hundreds of acres of surface parking is walkable.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:55 AM

749 posts, read 887,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Having buildings separated from the street and sidewalk by massive parking lots is not walkable. Parking lots present a huge hazard for pedestrians.
Exactly. Just because a street has stores, it doesn't necessarily make it a welcoming experience for pedestrians. Placement of those stores is very important.

In addition to safety reasons, walking on a sidewalk where you have a busy street on one side and a sea of parking on the other, just provides for an aesthetically unappealing experience...imho.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:00 AM

Maybe this product will help people get over the "sweat factor" of bike commuting. This article is a long read, but the product is summarized pretty well in the first few paragraphs.

If an Electric Bike Is Ever Going to Hit It Big in the U.S., It's This One - CityLab

Quote:
On a sunny but brisk spring morning near the Charles River in Cambridge, I took a test ride on the bicycle of the future. No rockets or lasers (alas), the bicycle of the future looks pretty much like the bicycle of the present. But with the first pumps of my feet on the pedals, I felt the difference. The bike wasn't just moving, it was pushing, adding extra propulsion to my own pedaling, giving me a boost with every revolution of the pedals. Faster than expected, I reached the end of a quiet block leaning into a corner. I took a straightaway for a few blocks and pushed 20 miles an hour without hardly trying. My feet were putting out a solid paper-route effort, but the bike had me racing in the Tour de France.
Edit: Here's a great video of the Copenhagen Bike Wheel

https://superpedestrian.com/

Last edited by UrbanConquistador; 04-23-2015 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Link to video

Old 04-24-2015, 08:32 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No, I just don't believe calling an area dominated by large roadways and hundreds of acres of surface parking is walkable.
I work in the area. I walk in the area. I qualified my description by stating it was "fairly walkable".

Maybe I'm more able to walk around than some?

Debating terms isn't the discussion here. I think the addition of a bridge across 285 would be nice, but I can see value in at least one more in other locations in that immediate area. That doesn't mean I recommend building one, but it one were to be placed there, I think it would improve things and be used.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:21 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
I think you might want to do a little more careful reading, and a little less evangelizing.

When I don't bike in because it's raining, or too cold (yes I'm not hardcore). I still see at least 2-3 commuters on the road. On a normal day, there are at least 2-3 at a single stop light waiting with me.
Wow. 2 or 3 entire people out of how many cars and pedestrians?
Quote:
So who knows how many total, I've never sat on a corner with a counter, but it certainly is not laughable.
It is laughable and bordering on statistically insignificant

Quote:
1. I've been biking for 2 years, never even had a close call.
Then you either have a very very short commute, or you aren't paying attention. You're not the only avid bicyclist on the forum, but you're the only one I've ever heard of that claimed to not have had any close calls in years of bicycling. Especially around this city. I'm calling foul on that statement.
Quote:
2. I take a change of clothes, and there are showers at the gym in my office if absolutely necessary.
Definitely not the norm for most office environments.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:41 PM

What exactly are we arguing about at this point? That there are/not bike commuters in Midtown or Downtown? That Atlanta has a lot of drivers that are jerks? Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle?

IMHO, for as hostile of a biking environment that Atlanta has created over the years, there's still an inspiring and growing amount of people commuting on bikes, all over the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Let's talk about the statistics for a moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Census;
Nationally, 0.6 percent of workers commute by bike. Since 2000, the percent of people who biked to work in Boston increased from 1 percent to 1.7 percent, according to 2008-2012 statistics from the American Community Survey.
1.7 percent of Workers Commute by Bike in Boston

Relatively speaking, that was a pretty large jump for Boston; a city known as leading the curve in the U.S. when it comes to biking. Also, it's important to note that much of this boost occurred after their bike share program opened and after their biking infrastructure was greatly increased. Atlanta is focused on accomplishing both this year.

Now let's take a look at Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLab;
Cycling in Atlanta has grown in popularity in recent years, from 0.33% of commutes in 2000 to 1.1% in 2009
Is Bicycle Commuting Really Catching On? And if So, Where? - CityLab

Not too shabby, especially considering Chicago, with its already established bike share program, still hovers at around 1.3% (See the Census link). It's also important to note that Atlanta had the largest percentage increase in the whole U.S. during this time period.

So we are hovering around 1.1% (assuming we have stayed flat since 2009), and we have yet to launch our bike share program or double our total miles of bike lanes (supposedly by 2016). Now let's also add the fact that we currently have the largest ongoing urban renewal project in the U.S. with the Atlanta Beltline, plus the general resurgence of in-town living. All in all, I'd say Atlanta's biking future looks pretty bright.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:01 PM

219 posts, read 270,584 times
Quote:
Wow. 2 or 3 entire people out of how many cars and pedestrians?
Again, if you would read the thread, and see what I was responding to, you would realize it was arjay's comment about never seeing any bike commuters. I said I see at least 2 or 3 on the even the worst days for cycling. I'm not sure how your statement about "how many cars and pedestrians" is relevant to my statement.

Quote:
Again, if you would read, I'm not sure I made a comment in which you could refute with "It is laughable" because I did not provide any hard numbers, just my opinion.

Quote:
or you aren't paying attention.
What? Maybe I am paying attention, which is why I have not had any close calls.

Quote:
Definitely not the norm for most office environments.
I'm not sure I care what the 'norm' is, but whatever it is, it is not affecting my career.

I'm strangely intrigued, albeit confused, as to why you are spewing so much vitriol to my mode of transportation to place of employment. Are you just anti-bike? Are you anti-urban? Are you just a small-minded jealous OTPer incapable of basic reading comprehension who has an inferiority complex to anything progressive? Just curious.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:25 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
Again, if you would read the thread, and see what I was responding to, you would realize it was arjay's comment about never seeing any bike commuters. I said I see at least 2 or 3 on the even the worst days for cycling. I'm not sure how your statement about "how many cars and pedestrians" is relevant to my statement.
Just for the record, I didn't say I "never see any bike commuters."

I said I rarely see them, and that's the truth. Of course we have some hardy souls who commute via bicycle and I applaud them for that. As I said earlier, they deserve to be treated with respect and provided with reasonable facilities. I have personally ridden my bike to work on occasion. However, to me bike commuters appear to be a very tiny drop in the bucket.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:39 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Just for the record, I didn't say I "never see any bike commuters."

I said I rarely see them, and that's the truth. Of course we have some hardy souls who commute via bicycle and I applaud them for that. As I said earlier, they deserve to be treated with respect and provided with reasonable facilities. I have personally ridden my bike to work on occasion. However, to me bike commuters appear to be a very tiny drop in the bucket.
But with investment in infrastructure, that drop will grow to leak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta