Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:18 PM

142 posts, read 168,279 times

Advertisements

I used to live ITP and never really went any further north than Buckhead. Of course I was young and single, then a newlywed with no kids, so no reason to cruise the suburbs! Now I live on the southeast side and never have a reason to go to the north side at all. Not knocking it, obviously there are plenty of happy people there, just saying there's plenty to do here and we've got everything we need within reach. I shop and eat in Conyers, McDonough, and Covington. I am by no means a shopping fanatic but everything I need and want is within my radius (Locust Grove outlets, Henry County shopping areas, Conyers shopping areas, and Stonecrest). I occasionally go to midtown for work but otherwise work from home, we like to go to Decatur once in a blue moon, we make a trip out to Stone Mountain Park in the summer and "Snow Mountain" in the winter, a few Braves games a year, and Six Flags every couple years with the kids. We like our local restaurants, parks and walking trails, Panola Mountain park, arabia nature preserve, the McDonough square, local events, kids activities, sports, and summer swim league, our schools and neighborhood. Life is good here! I am always glad to hear the positive comments from other south side folks. The south side has plenty to offer and more than just Peachtree City and the airport. Plus, your money can go a lot further here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:49 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
Seems that Atlanta is mostly in the north (from non-local perspective). Is this accurate? I see Turner field is kind of in the southern and the airport. What else does a non-local need to know? Is there anything?
The biggest difference between the south metro and north metro is corporate jobs. Most of the white collar corporate jobs are located in Alpharetta, Norcross, Marietta and so on. Since I'm 100% independent I'm not forced to live in that congestion on the North side. Most people live on the North side for work commute conveyance. The south side is a breath of fresh air compared to that madness in North Fulton. As far as amenities the south side is on par at a reduced price in housing and rents.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well you are missing out.I drive all around this metro and to this day always surprised to se something new I never knew existed.
There's nothing really interesting about the South metro. I'll probably try to get out to East Point or College Park one of these days. I always forget.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:40 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
There's nothing really interesting about the South metro. I'll probably try to get out to East Point or College Park one of these days. I always forget.
You are so wrong. You really need to broaden your horizons and attitude about Atlanta. This closed-mindedness is keeping you from enjoying the total picture.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:38 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Im not trying to convince you of anything but the fact that you made that statement is probably because you never explored it.

Serenbe
Serenbe | Press
One of the top green new urbanist planeed communities in North America.It really is a cool town that has been featured in several national programs and publications.A cool town and concept unlike nothing you can find anywhere else in the entire Southeast
This is also not far from where Tomorroworld is held

Stately Oaks(Insiration for Gone With the Wind)Stately Oaks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of the best Vietnamese,Thai,TEX MEX and other ethnic foods in Atlanta can all be found o what can only be compared to a smaller version of Buford Hwy.
Including a Farmers Markets that is similar to Dekalb but more Asian and African oriented.there is even an H-Mart in Riverdale,
Jonesboro Rd Lake City to Forest Park areas
Yelp | Search Businesses In Forest Park, GA

Pinewood Studios is a huge dea for GA and Fayetteville. The area around it is booming with new constuction of houses, retail and public facilities.It trully is incredible how bg this project is and its affect on growth in that area in such a short time.3000 people will be employed there in the final stages of developement and the next James Bond film will most likely be filmed there.

Peachtree City is more than just golf carts.Its a lifestyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSXHClBOux0

Spivey Hall on the campus of Clayton State College and University has some of the best acoustics anywhere in the state of Georgia as well as the South.Many international acts perform there.
Quote:
The visual centerpiece of Spivey’s design is the Albert Schweitzer Memorial Organ, a 79-rank, 3-manual, 4,413-pipe organ, built and installed by Fratelli Ruffatti of Padua, Italy. The creation of this organ was the subject of a PBS special. The majority of Spivey's finishes were designed to be acoustically reflective, in an effort to preserve the sound within and prolong its reverberation.[1]
Owing to frequent appearances on National Public Radio’s “Performance Today,” the hall has earned a national reputation while also reaching an international audience through artist word-of-mouth and exposure in such publications as BBC Music Magazine and International Arts Manager
I recently have began researching my family history at the Georgia Archives facility in Morrow which is next door to the National Southeastern Regional Archive building .
Do you know that you can use Ancestry.Com for free while there?Saved me a ton of money!
http://friendsnas.org/images/arial1.jpg
via Friends of the National Archives-Southeast Region

Friends of the National Archives-Southeast Region

My family reunion was held at the Atlanta International Park and Beach in Clayton County.It is a cool place to hang out at the man made beach during the Summer.It was built for the Olympics.

Just off 675 near my house is this Thai Buddhist monastery and temple.Its so cool looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Is there anything in the south part of Atlanta (aside from airport)?-10685417_10153037479491212_7945461753290097106_n.jpg   Is there anything in the south part of Atlanta (aside from airport)?-10991139_10153037479421212_2640043516205180217_n.jpg   Is there anything in the south part of Atlanta (aside from airport)?-11001762_10153037479176212_3762966320962190439_n.jpg  

Last edited by afonega1; 04-21-2015 at 01:48 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 05:33 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
I think it also the depends on the stage where a person is at in life.

For anyone in their late teens to early 30s, the southside of Atlanta probably won't do much for them.

For anyone who is older, yeah the stuff you have mentioned would likely be more appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im not trying to convince you of anything but the fact that you made that statement is probably because you never explored it.

Serenbe
Serenbe | Press
One of the top green new urbanist planeed communities in North America.It really is a cool town that has been featured in several national programs and publications.A cool town and concept unlike nothing you can find anywhere else in the entire Southeast
This is also not far from where Tomorroworld is held

Stately Oaks(Insiration for Gone With the Wind)Stately Oaks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of the best Vietnamese,Thai,TEX MEX and other ethnic foods in Atlanta can all be found o what can only be compared to a smaller version of Buford Hwy.
Including a Farmers Markets that is similar to Dekalb but more Asian and African oriented.there is even an H-Mart in Riverdale,
Jonesboro Rd Lake City to Forest Park areas
Yelp | Search Businesses In Forest Park, GA

Pinewood Studios is a huge dea for GA and Fayetteville. The area around it is booming with new constuction of houses, retail and public facilities.It trully is incredible how bg this project is and its affect on growth in that area in such a short time.3000 people will be employed there in the final stages of developement and the next James Bond film will most likely be filmed there.

Peachtree City is more than just golf carts.Its a lifestyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSXHClBOux0

Spivey Hall on the campus of Clayton State College and University has some of the best acoustics anywhere in the state of Georgia as well as the South.Many international acts perform there.

I recently have began researching my family history at the Georgia Archives facility in Morrow which is next door to the National Southeastern Regional Archive building .
Do you know that you can use Ancestry.Com for free while there?Saved me a ton of money!
http://friendsnas.org/images/arial1.jpg
via Friends of the National Archives-Southeast Region

Friends of the National Archives-Southeast Region

My family reunion was held at the Atlanta International Park and Beach in Clayton County.It is a cool place to hang out at the man made beach during the Summer.It was built for the Olympics.

Just off 675 near my house is this Thai Buddhist monastery and temple.Its so cool looking!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

For anyone in their late teens to early 30s, the southside of Atlanta probably won't do much for them.

For anyone who is older, yeah the stuff you have mentioned would likely be more appreciated.
Bingo. Exactly. I just don't care really care for that type of stuff. All of the interesting stuff TO ME is north of I-20. That includes nightlife, things to do,shopping, and interesting neighborhoods that are actually walkable. I don't really care about going to Peachtree City where a bunch of retirees and families are, plus I drove around there and saw all of the golf carts...looks like any typical suburb to me with some goft cart paths.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Bingo. Exactly. I just don't care really care for that type of stuff. All of the interesting stuff TO ME is north of I-20. That includes nightlife, things to do,shopping, and interesting neighborhoods that are actually walkable. I don't really care about going to Peachtree City where a bunch of retirees and families are, plus I drove around there and saw all of the golf carts...looks like any typical suburb to me with some goft cart paths.
Ok Shopping ill give you but nightlife outside the city is pretty much the same.No matter where you go in the metro.I have never in my life hung out at bars or clubs in Alpharetta or Woodstock?..

Serenbe is a walkable interesting neighborhood that I think if more people knew existed.Its a real interesting concept but lets be honest how many walk able neighborhoods outside the city of Atlanta are there?

I also agree with you about Peachtree City.It bores me too but its still a cool concept.

Im not saying there is more than whats North just saying that you should not sell it short.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

Granted some of the things I mentioned are age specific but you cant tell me Atlanta"Beach" ,Tommorworld,or even the different ethnic food options don't appeal to younger ages?Again it not a lot but what is there to do on the North side of the city?

Unless we are talking about things in the Northern part of the City,threes not much outside on the North Perimeter either for young people.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:31 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Someone who isn't very familiar with the Southside of Atlanta would probably echo your statements above. I did before I discovered it...I was sure there was nothing worthwhile below I20. But there is, and to believe it you will just have to experience some of it for yourself rather than whizzing by it on the highway.

Peachtree is very different from the majority of suburbs because it is a carefully planned community. I agree that it isn't somewhere you would want to live unless you have a family or want peace and quiet, but it is definitely a walkable area as are many Southside communities. I wouldn't be commenting on such a huge area that I obviously don't have much real knowledge about, but it's up to you if you want to come across that way I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta