Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:02 PM

18 posts, read 30,159 times

Advertisements

do any of you think so ? because i believe that Atlanta will most likely end up like Miami(no offense) in a course of 20-30 years. like i feel like Atlanta today does not have many of the southern values any other southern city would have. i also feel like that Atlanta citizens in the future will not have a southern accent but a northern accent similar to a East coast accent, and that Atlanta will be similar to Miami as it will be a transplant city or a vacation spot. but yeah not trying to offend anybody from Miami or Atlanta, this is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:17 PM

561 posts, read 781,322 times
Atlanta IS a transplant city already.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:26 PM

708 posts, read 999,766 times
The more transplants come and they have babies,lol which makes new Atlantans. lol

Old 04-20-2015, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,639 times
It already is :-)

Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
It is a transplant city, but nothing like Miami. Emigration has had a huge effect on Miami, whereas Atlanta sees far more transplants from within the US.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:33 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicanBoii View Post
do any of you think so ? because i believe that Atlanta will most likely end up like Miami(no offense) in a course of 20-30 years. like i feel like Atlanta today does not have many of the southern Oi re vuhh se alues any other southern city would have. i also feel like that Atlanta citizens in the future will not have a southern accent but a northern accent similar to a East coast accent, and that Atlanta will be similar to Miami as it will be a transplant city or a vacation spot. but yeah not trying to offend anybody from Miami or Atlanta, this is just my opinion.
You can't place all the blame on Northern transplants for the decline in the Southern accent. Ever since tv has been in nearly every household in the United States, regional accents seem to be disappearing. I think that is the reason for the decline in number of people who speak naturally with a deep and thick as molasses Southern drawl, like they use to speak. And now-a-days, with home computers and the internet, and smart phones, the rural areas are not isolated from the rest of the nation like they once were.

I think eventually, in the next 30 to 50 years or so, nearly all Americans will be talking with a generic accent like the anchors on the network news have.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
I've never been to a major city where a good number of people there were not transplants

People move to cities such as Atlanta for good reason. Lima,Ohio does not have bumper to bumper traffic issues nor does Jellico,Tennessee. I wonder why? When I was on the highway in Atlanta, instead of viewing the traffic as an issue, I viewed it as progress, in the right direction. I'm sure Detroit and Flint Michigan would love to have the same problems.

I think Atlanta is a great place because of natives and transplants. Both groups have made the city great.

As one poster said, as long as transplants keep having babies in Atlanta, you'll always have natives.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:33 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
^Yep!

And transplants have been flocking here since the end of WWII. It's nothing new at all, and actually helps define who we are as a Metro.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Atlanta is the NYC of the South. Atlanta has a lot of transplants but I don't think it has as many as Miami and Phoenix imo, Atlanta does not get as many retirees or foreigner people at least as many as Miami and Phoenix does. I think native Atlanta natives probably are sick of the transplants at this point but transplants are good that means your city is popular around the country.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:46 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Atlanta is the NYC of the South. Atlanta has a lot of transplants but I don't think it has as many as Miami and Phoenix imo, Atlanta does not get as many retirees or foreigner people at least as many as Miami and Phoenix does.I think native Atlanta natives probably are sick of the transplants at this point but transplants are good that means your city is popular around the country.
I'm sure all of the business owners(Realtors, Financial Planners, Car dealers, Tax prep,Apartment Leasing, food establishments,etc..) that benefit from transplanted money would disagree. I went out every night during my last 4 day visit. I'm not bragging but I'll say my tab each night was very high/expensive. I'm sure they had no problem taking my credit card from Ohio! Transplants Spend money. Atlanta is building and companies continue relocate there because of it's population growth and that growth is bringing money with them.

Sorry folks, Atlanta isn't going back to small-time southern "town" of yester-year. Those days are over. Embrace the change or get out of the way!

Last edited by Rocco Barbosa; 04-20-2015 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta