Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:24 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times

Advertisements

Southlake Mall is a 1 million square-foot shopping center located in Morrow, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta. Anchored by Macys and Sears, Southlake Mall features such national retailers as Victorias Secret, American Eagle Outfitters, Foot Locker, Helzberg Diamonds, Aeropostale, Bath and Body Works, Finish Line, New York & Co., The Childrens Place, City Gear, DTLR, Kay Jewelers, rue21 and Express. The center benefits from tremendous freeway visibility from I-75 and is located at the major intersection of Jonesboro Road and Mt. Zion Road. Southlake Mall stands as the primary shopping destination in an established retail corridor that includes major national retailers like Costco, The Home Depot, Burlington Coat Factory, AMC Southlake 24, Best Buy, T.J.Maxx, PetSmart, Barnes & Noble and Publix. The 10-mile trade area boasts a population of 532,197.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelp Reviews
This place looks rough and abandoned from the outside. Don't let the outside fool you. There's a lot going on inside. There were a lot of patrons, a busy food court, and lots of cool stores.
Looks fairly clean and decent.

Alright.. now this isn't your Lenox Mall or Perimeter Mall but it is fairly decent. I am giving it 5 stars to balance out the bad reviews from people! Its not a discount mall.. It has many nice stores like Macys, Express, The Limited, Children's Place, Victoria's Secret, Aeropostale, Bath Body & Works, Spencer Gifts, Hot Topic, New York & Company, Foot Locker, etc. These are typical stores of any mall - Yes... there is no Salvatore Ferragamo, Louis Vuitton, FENDI and David Yurman... but seriously.. how many of you shop there on a daily basis! Even I cant on my RN salary!

Anyways, I found a great Calvin Klein Suit for my interview tomorrow, I probably will not be shopping here for long since I plan to move closer to the city but for now, its will be my go to mall!

Happy Shopping!!

Went to Macy's at Southlake to hunt down some new fluffy pillows for the bedroom after attempting to find some good replacement deals at the local TJ Maxx and Kohls. Came across a few great finds made by Serta (hey, if a mattress company makes pillows in addition to great mattresses, I'M SOLD!). Glad I made the decision 'cause they turned out great.

The Macy's employees are always helpful. I just wish that that mall could get a facelift on the outside. It's appearance is not exactly welcoming and it definitely shows its age these days.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:14 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Southlake Mall is a 1 million square-foot shopping center located in Morrow, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta. Anchored by Macys and Sears, Southlake Mall features such national retailers as Victorias Secret, American Eagle Outfitters, Foot Locker, Helzberg Diamonds, Aeropostale, Bath and Body Works, Finish Line, New York & Co., The Childrens Place, City Gear, DTLR, Kay Jewelers, rue21 and Express. The center benefits from tremendous freeway visibility from I-75 and is located at the major intersection of Jonesboro Road and Mt. Zion Road. Southlake Mall stands as the primary shopping destination in an established retail corridor that includes major national retailers like Costco, The Home Depot, Burlington Coat Factory, AMC Southlake 24, Best Buy, T.J.Maxx, PetSmart, Barnes & Noble and Publix. The 10-mile trade area boasts a population of 532,197.
What does any of that have to do with Olde Towne Morrow, which is demonstrably abandoned and empty? The fact that Southlake mall continues to be a viable retail hub while the "Towne" in it's parking lot has completely collapsed makes the failure worse.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:10 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
The Olde Towne thing seem to be one of those things that needs to be investigated and would likely lead to prosecution. Would love to follow the money and see how close it came back to the people that approved it.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:11 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
How many people even knew this place existed? I sure didn't. The mall may have been active but this was behind the mall and not visible at all unless you happened to go to the backside of the parking lot close enough to the entrance.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:15 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
The City of Morrow IS a REAL town. As a former 30 year plus resident of Morrow I can honestly say that Morrow has done more is the area of city services and amenities than ANY other municipality I can think of. Maybe Old Towne Morrow was a bad idea, but it was for all the right reasons. Morrow has numerous other amenities: the pathway trail system for bicycles and pedestrians, Clayton State University, Reynolds Nature Preserve, responsive city government and police/ fire services, numerous cute and well maintained mid-century neighborhoods, close proximity to Downtown Atlanta, and the list goes on and on. Even the much derided SouthLake Mall stated here is mostly leased, which is more than you can say for MANY malls in the metro, even those with a more favorable, wealthier demographics. I challenge any city data poster to take a drive around the City of Morrow, you will probably like what you see.
Morrow had a great idea with this project but the timing was terrible. You have to give them credit for trying.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
How many people even knew this place existed? I sure didn't. The mall may have been active but this was behind the mall and not visible at all unless you happened to go to the backside of the parking lot close enough to the entrance.
You can kinda see it from the interstate.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:08 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
What does any of that have to do with Olde Towne Morrow, which is demonstrably abandoned and empty? The fact that Southlake mall continues to be a viable retail hub while the "Towne" in it's parking lot has completely collapsed makes the failure worse.
Someone was saying that southlake was dead. The closing of Olde Towne has nothing to do with the condition of the mall. It didn't meet fire code standards and the tenants weren't required to pay rent. The person behind it also didn't complete any studies and lied to the city council about it.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:39 PM

73 posts, read 91,272 times
Olde Towne Morrow is still there. It has been vandalized and is falling into disrepair. It is a sad sight. All the money, time, and planning that went into it appear to have been wasted. Rumors have been circulating lately that a developer is looking at it. Another rumor is that it will be developed into an amusement park.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:39 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrowMan View Post
Olde Towne Morrow is still there. It has been vandalized and is falling into disrepair. It is a sad sight. All the money, time, and planning that went into it appear to have been wasted. Rumors have been circulating lately that a developer is looking at it. Another rumor is that it will be developed into an amusement park.
I noticed it for the first time Sunday when I was driving back from South Georgia (no idea why I just now saw it...). It truly does look like an abandoned movie set. Perhaps it would be useful as a movie set?

Old 09-01-2015, 06:47 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
I am amazed that it ever pased the muster to be allowed to be built in the first place given it's location in a very low-lying setting that is a wetlands area. The bridge one needs to cross to enter it ads to the "moat" effect that I've always felt was odd & a part of it's isolation problem.
Someone had a dream for the project which actually was realized in the form of a nightmare for Morrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta