Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times

Advertisements

Not a house, not anywhere I can think of. Maybe a condo, but I doubt that, too. They tend to go for the high 200s. Condos in their price range would be 2 bedroom.

Perhaps the OP should consider renting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 02:44 PM

16 posts, read 73,391 times
Default From Wester re: near newspaper, small home

Thanks for the great and many-faceted replies. House prices are a bit daunting. I have not researched schools yet---they are according to location boundaries, then, with no other choices available (other than charter or private)?

West End and East Point sound interesting to look into.

This is an odd question, but how would you describe the light--the air---in Georgia and Atlanta? Here, in western New York, there is murky gray, with occasional brightenings. When we lived in Utah, the air was diamond-bright, due to the lower humidity and the mountains all around. And in Alaska, where I once was as a child, brightness was off the meters. What is Georgia's like?

And Braselton, which I've heard people mention: is it a long transit-train ride away from the newspaper, or more complex (auto and train) than that?

Thanks again for the many good responses.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:50 PM

Wow, Braselton is way past the end of the rail lines. The rail lines don't extend far past the I-285 perimeter. In fact, having rail out to Athens or to Savannah, etc, is something that's always in the paper.

So, Braselton would be a very long commute.

Air - we have some bad smog in the summer - orange and red alerts. But we have some really gorgeous days in the spring and fall.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:50 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Breselton is in the far, far northeastern burbs, you could really call it the exurbs. Its expensive, and the commute would be hellish.

The light here is pretty good, IMO.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM

16 posts, read 73,391 times
Default Wester replies:

Oops, Braselton sounded nice, but could not work at all. Thanks for warning. Husband does like to ride the train to work, so something just a little further out if train-rideable would be alright. I am too frugal to be able to face renting other than at the very first, so owning a house or townhouse would be a necessity for us...townhouses here and there? And another question: is there a wonderful library or two, and anywhere near the newspaper? It's wonderful to live near one.

Last edited by wester; 01-17-2008 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: added question about library

Old 01-17-2008, 03:12 PM

145 posts, read 598,040 times
I have to interject this point when I see that you previously lived in Utah and Alaska. West End is nothing like those places. Not in the slightest. It is more comparable to revitalizing neighborhoods in Brooklyn (i.e. Bed-Stuy or Bushwick), but instead of brownstones insert Victorian and Craftman single family homes. It is a vibrant urban neighborhood with plenty of foot traffic. East Point is a little slower and less urban, and Tucker is kind of a close in suburb. I just want you to have a better idea of these areas. I live in West End and like the neighborhood and environment, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Not trying to scare you off. Just want to give you an honest evaluation of these areas that fit your criteria and price range. Again visit Atlanta before making any commitments.

btw West End has a library and it is humid and sunny in Atlanta (Lots of trees).

Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 PM

The ONLY problen I see with West End is her need for a good school, unless she can go private.

To tell you the truth...I moved to my neighborhood because I wanted a good school. But I have since learned that a good education can be had at just about any school. It's really up to the parent. The main thing with the "good schools" is that the parents are usually a little more deep in the pocket and the school has more extras.

If wester really does need good public schools and to not be too far out then Tucker is probably the best bet. Her husband could get to the east/west rail line pretty easy.

But, if wester wants to invest in the public schools or go private then West End would be a good choice. Is West End APS or Fulton County Schools?

Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wester View Post
This is an odd question, but how would you describe the light--the air---in Georgia and Atlanta? Here, in western New York, there is murky gray, with occasional brightenings. When we lived in Utah, the air was diamond-bright, due to the lower humidity and the mountains all around. And in Alaska, where I once was as a child, brightness was off the meters. What is Georgia's like?
The air in Georgia will probably vary depending on where in the state you are, but in the Atlanta metro during the summer the sky can sometimes get pretty hazy and the western sky gets all orangy in the evening when the sun is setting due to the combination of humidity and smog.

At this time of year, it varies with the clouds between grey (like yesterday) and fairly bright blue, but it's hard to see the horizons (or even near the horizons) most of the time because of the hilly country and the trees.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:40 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
The ONLY problen I see with West End is her need for a good school, unless she can go private.

To tell you the truth...I moved to my neighborhood because I wanted a good school. But I have since learned that a good education can be had at just about any school. It's really up to the parent. The main thing with the "good schools" is that the parents are usually a little more deep in the pocket and the school has more extras.

If wester really does need good public schools and to not be too far out then Tucker is probably the best bet. Her husband could get to the east/west rail line pretty easy.

But, if wester wants to invest in the public schools or go private then West End would be a good choice. Is West End APS or Fulton County Schools?
West End is Atlanta Public Schools (APS).

Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
...This is just a hunch, but I'm guessing you're already liberal....in that case the only place for someone from the 'RAG' aka AJC to live is Athens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta