Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:04 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Last I heard was a new tunnel under the yard west of Krog.
I'll bet Cabbagetown will kill that idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 11:37 AM

364 posts, read 418,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'll bet Cabbagetown will kill that idea.
They can reject the idea all they want, but the Cabbagetown as a neighborhood has no power to control this.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:44 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
They can reject the idea all they want, but the Cabbagetown as a neighborhood has no power to control this.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. But it's a moot point anyway. There will never be money to build a tunnel under Hulsey Yard.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:47 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
I bet the solution will be to modify the existing tunnel. A dedicated tunnel could come much later.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:25 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
To address some of your post, I wasn't implying that they shouldn't hear public input and I certainly wasn't implying that your input specifically was "too much", so I apologize if it came off that way. What I was implying was there are too many people making decisions trying to cater to too many constituents. There needs to be strong leadership with a single goal - to provide an effective transportation system. For example, with the current streetcar, you have two lines (double the costs) literally a block away from one another. This serves no purpose, other than adding more "frontage", except to drive up costs. Somewhere along the way someone got the the idea that it had to go down Auburn Avenue which obviously did not come from the idea to provide efficient service in both of terms of headway and costs, but had ulterior motives.

Regarding signal prioritization - this should not be the goal. It has to have it's own ROW otherwise it is useless. Even if a streetcar has signal prioritization, if there is traffic backing up that road it is useless, because there is no where to go. This happens on Edgewood all the time. The streetcar, even if it had signal prioritization, has nowhere to go, because the road it shares with cars is clogged with traffic.

Good comments. This looks like an elephant designed by a committee.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:13 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
To clarify: The beltline trail that is about to start construction will use the Krog tunnel. However the Krog tunnel has already been eliminated as an option for transit. The remaining options are a new tunnel west of Krog or crossing near King MARTA and going on memorial.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Good comments. This looks like an elephant designed by a committee.
If you go read through the plans, there is a ton of work put into this process. Not to mention it is going get a whole lot more specific very soon with the EAs. Its kinda of insulting to dismiss the work put into the Beltline so far as silly or frivolous.

Here is a 148 page document detailing the desired strategy for implementation;
http://beltlineorg.wpengine.netdna-c...n-Plan_web.pdf

Tons of pages covering the master plans for the 10 sub areas of the Beltline:
Master Planning // Atlanta BeltLine

This isn't just transit that they are planning (however that is the current focus). This is parks, zoning, complete streets, etc. This work has very serious potential to transform the CoA. This is the best shot Atlanta has at being one of the greatest cities in the world to live in.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:15 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
If you go read through the plans, there is a ton of work put into this process. Not to mention it is going get a whole lot more specific very soon with the EAs. Its kinda of insulting to dismiss the work put into the Beltline so far as silly or frivolous.

Here is a 148 page document detailing the desired strategy for implementation;
http://beltlineorg.wpengine.netdna-c...n-Plan_web.pdf

Tons of pages covering the master plans for the 10 sub areas of the Beltline:
Master Planning // Atlanta BeltLine

This isn't just transit that they are planning (however that is the current focus). This is parks, zoning, complete streets, etc. This work has very serious potential to transform the CoA. This is the best shot Atlanta has at being one of the greatest cities in the world to live in.
Read ATLJR's comments.

There are a lot of things with tons of work that make no sense. Government entities tend to get on auto-pilot and forget to think.
The streetcar lines, in particular the red and purple ones, are what I was referring to in particular.

Actually, its not limited to governmental entities. Anytime you get an "inside" group, it can happen, for example-New Coke. You need someone outside to tell the emperor he has no clothes.

And I do remember that a month before the TSPLOST is when this changed from a single circular route to an earlier version of this. The change was announced out of the blue. I think they figured out the single circular route had no riders and quickly came up with something different.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:49 PM

But this isn't an inside group. They are asking for outside input. TONS OF IT. They're just about begging for it. Not to mention this has to pass some very specific standards if it receives government funding. This would be impossible for them to get in a groupthink scenario and get it funded.

About those changes you are referring to around the time of the TSPLOST; what you were seeing was a request for funds for a specific route. While funds via TSPLOST were being requested, they were still planning on building the routes you see today. They have been planning many of these routes for a long time, since 2008 I believe. jsvh posted a pic earlier in this thread showing what the Atlanta Streetcar plan has been. The Beltline and the Connect Atlanta/Streetcar Plan are intertwined. These things aren't coming out of the blue by any means.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:49 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Actually, its not limited to governmental entities. Anytime you get an "inside" group, it can happen, for example-New Coke. You need someone outside to tell the emperor he has no clothes.

And I do remember that a month before the TSPLOST is when this changed from a single circular route to an earlier version of this. The change was announced out of the blue. I think they figured out the single circular route had no riders and quickly came up with something different.
Have you shown up for a single meeting? Will you attend the one Monday night at 6:30 PM at Tress Atlanta?

This wasn't out of the blue at all. The crosstown routes have always been part of the plan. This is the first time actual operating lines have ever been discussed. Right now is the time to give your feedback, that's why they're having the meetings!

I'm so tired of people who complain about things based on their limited understanding of what they read on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta