Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times

Advertisements

I'll try to remember to get a picture up when I get home.

This is the CONCEPT of how the system will operate. It is not final, but the direction they are going in.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2X9...RmWkgwd2c/edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 05:07 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,644 times
I think the Peachtree Line will need to be reconfigured, as the line as is acts as a duplication of MARTA's Red and Gold lines between Lakewood/Ft. McPherson and Arts Center.

- skbl17

Old 04-23-2015, 05:10 PM

The original document with a line by line breakdown that starts on page 11.

http://beltlineorg.wpengine.netdna-c...nversation.pdf

Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
I was at this meeting. I didn't really have high expectations, but this meeting was underwhelming. Some minor tweaks to the previous plan. Mostly that they took out the phasing and the cost details of the last plan. My guess is this meeting and all these updates are political. I think they updated this plan to avoid controversy and be in a position to get federal funding for any route that may come available.

I suppose playing the politics and going through the motions to get federal funding is wise. But the only real information that was useful from this meeting was updates on the east and west trails. They are wrapping up the environmental review in the next couple month and will have details on those routes then. Construction is underway on the westside trail, despite the rain it is still on schedule. The Eastside extension was reworked and is now finalizing some easements. Construction should start in July / August.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:28 PM

I think the addition of that west side to southeast side line was pretty interesting. I don't believe that was in any of the other prior planning meetings.

I wasn't aware that the of the $4 billion cost of the belt line buildout, $1 billion of it was in interest payments. Apparently that is a big area where the public-private partnerships will come into play to save the entire build out a ton of money.

The routes are interesting. While they are absolutely tentative right now, it's great to see how the system is going to end up probably operating.

Were you at tonight's meeting jsvh, or the prior one?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I think the addition of that west side to southeast side line was pretty interesting. I don't believe that was in any of the other prior planning meetings.
They were in the previous plan: http://beltline.org/wp-content/uploa...ort-022514.pdf

The differences are pretty minor like extending it from Grant Park to Boulevard Crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Were you at tonight's meeting jsvh, or the prior one?
Tonight's.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:16 PM

I guess you are right, I guess I never pictured it as a point to point route as it is. But the idea of how the lines operate is much different than the proposed corridors.

I understand that you don't get a whole lot of new super concrete news in a process like this. Obviously things will change and a lot of this is conceptual. But it is cool seeing the general idea of the direction of the routes.

I enjoyed trying to get a read on the staff on their feelings towards P3 funding. For some reason, I think there may be a sort of resistance to the idea. Before the question was asked, they did discuss funding, but it was ONLY discussing federal funds. I was kind of surprised there was no mention of it as this is one of the more important developments over the past few months. I know that isn't what these meetings are about, but that and the new mini TSPLOST legislation are potential major boosts to the timeline.

But yeah, more details coming in the next couple months. Hey, real transit is actually being planned here... in Atlanta!!!

Last edited by tikigod311; 04-23-2015 at 08:28 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 08:17 PM

Pics of the tentative routes:

Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Central Loop (obvious):

Crosstown Inner Loop:

Crosstown Outer Loop:

Crosstown Peachtree Line:

Crosstown Midtown Line:

Crosstown Crescent Line:

Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
I'm not really clear on how the two "crosstown loop" lines will operate. Since the info says unidirectional on the loop and bidirectional in the core, does that mean essentially two half-loops, or will the trains run a figure-8? Or some other exotic plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
I think the Peachtree Line will need to be reconfigured, as the line as is acts as a duplication of MARTA's Red and Gold lines between Lakewood/Ft. McPherson and Arts Center.

- skbl17
It doesn't exactly duplicate service so much as provide the last-mile reach and provide high-capacity street-level service. A good example is Tech Square. Someone coming from Arts Center has to go all the way into the station, then wait for the train, then make their way up to the surface at Midtown, then wait on the Tech Trolley, then have it meander all the way down to 5th street (ok, it doesn't meander much, but it makes several turns). The streetcar allows someone to just hop on at Arts Center, then off at Tech Square. It will also provide service to Piedmont Hospital and along Peachtree Rd without being an isolated system as a line just up from Arts Center would be. Though I question it seeming to terminate at Buckhead station instead of Lenox station as 110 does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta