Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 01:18 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK314 View Post
Because I wouldn't want to mistakenly move into an area where I would have "issues" just for living there. I mean, if you haven't kept up lately a black family in Buffalo had their house burned down for moving in that area. A few people in the area voiced that they should have KNOWN better then to move there.

Then recently another Black family had a letter telling them to move out of an area in Long Island, which is nuttier then a squirrel because Long Island has always been diverse.

I've never experienced EXTREME racism, but that doesn't mean I'm not aware that it exist. I'm proactive, and refuse put myself in situations that could cause me bodily harm.

So answer my question, were you offended that I posted my ethnicity?
I know what you mean. We use do live in douglasville, not to far from Fairborn and I was the only white person on my street. Got some dirty looks occasionally and we eventually moved because of te violence, not towards us though.

I'm not sure how many animals you want, but five acres isn't an awfully lot of land to raise livestock. Rabbits and chickens would be fine. But your grazers need a lot. Is the 5 acres pasture or pine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:14 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
OK...we are flying down in two weeks to close on a BEAUTIFUL house in Fairburn Ga. It's an established neighborhood (I have no idea what that means lol) and its OVER 5 ACRES!!!!! OMG OMG OMG, THANK YOU JESUS. The house we originally made an offer on was in a protected zone and in a subdivison...that wasn't mentioned before so we rescinded.

You have no idea the issues we had with people attempting to con us. I am soo happy we got a buyer agent. We originally wanted 20 acres, but being that we're both new to homesteading, I think this is an appropriate size to start with for now.

I want to personally thank ALL of you for asking my questions...and in SUCH great detail. This online community is wonderful and gave great tips that I couldn't find with just research.

From the deepest crevices of my heart, Thank you all.
Welcome to Atlanta

Old 06-01-2015, 12:49 PM

146 posts, read 134,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I know what you mean. We use do live in douglasville, not to far from Fairborn and I was the only white person on my street. Got some dirty looks occasionally and we eventually moved because of te violence, not towards us though.

I'm not sure how many animals you want, but five acres isn't an awfully lot of land to raise livestock. Rabbits and chickens would be fine. But your grazers need a lot. Is the 5 acres pasture or pine?

Thanks for seeing it from my point of view. The violence factor was VERY important to us as well, hence my husband said no to Riverdale and Conyers. I wouldn't mind looks, people will always be stupid, but stupid to the point of putting their hands on me or my hubby is a NO GO. Thank God you and your family are safe now.

We don't need a lot of livestock, I was thinking 3 lambs, 2 goats max. I figured if I cleared 2 acres that would be enough with the additional food bought for them. The rest are chickens, squab and bunnies.

OH..and a beehive...but FAR from the house : )

Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 AM

5 posts, read 5,116 times
Quote:
Hello,

My husband and I are looking into homes in ATL and wanted to know the best area for a couple like us. We're New Yorkers and really want to have our own homestead. This would be our first BIG purchase as a married couple and we really want to pick the right area (for work and leisure)

These are my questions;

1. My husband works in the tech field, SEO Director and I'm a nurse, but he's the bread winner. I know the cost of living is cheaper and we wouldn't mind taking pay cuts but we're hoping the need for our skills would offer a lot of options. Will our job skills be usable there?

2. The houses that we fallen in love with have been in Fairburn and Lithonia; how are...how do I say this...racial tensions there, will we be ok? (I'm not trying to go to an area with the KKK in my back yard, at least not without a weapon).

3. Are there ANY Mandarin schools here (trying to learn before the kids come in a few years)?

4. We will be taking my father in-law with us. Does the ATL offer a lot of activities for the elderly?

5. Are there any limits to the types of animals we can homestead with? Our goal is to have rabbits, chicken a few lambs and maybe squab.

6. We're both Christians and we're wondering if there are any REAL churches in the area, a lot of the ones in NYC are just plain crazy and don't follow the bible one bit.

7. I don't have kids yet, but I know I don't want to put my kids in a system that will demonize them based on their skin color. Do they make it hard for parents who want to home school?

I know it's a long read, but any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you
I can't speak to everything that you've asked, but I've had some experiences that you might like to keep in mind.

2. As a fellow New Yorker and BM in an IR marriage with a Latina, we have gotten a lot of pushback from black folks down here. It obviously comes across in a very gendered way, but we have some kind of a problem almost EVERY time we go out together and encounter other black people. As a BM in an IR marriage, you may have a completely different experience here. Everyone has their own experience, but that is ours (we've lived in both Cobb and DeKalb counties, but we've gotten it all over the metro area). It creates challenges for our child who is sensitive enough to pick up on bad vibes from people. We want her to have a positive and healthy relationship with her blackness and have come to understand that the local racial dynamics of Atlanta are not supportive of that for us. I wouldn't say that the majority of black folks have reacted to us with hostility, but it has been a frequent enough occurrence that we no longer feel positively about the Atlanta area as a whole. We have lived in a few other "less progressive" places in the south and have never been treated this way with this degree of frequency. I would be very wary of moving here tbh. We will not be staying.

7. We haven't faced any challenges with our child in the school relative to demonization, but our child has faced social exclusion from classmates because of her race (in pre-k no less). The school response was decent, but I have to wonder if the situation might have been taken more seriously if my child wasn't mixed.

Many people may like to brush these experiences aside because they are embarrassing and belie the myth of Atlanta as a liberal enclave in a very red state. However, Atlanta, like everywhere else, has its problems. There are many wonderful things about Atlanta, but the reality of being a black person in an IR marriage here is not a good one. Ymmv of course, but I would be remiss to not tell you what you COULD be getting yourselves into. Hopefully your experience will be better than ours.

We were very attracted to Atlanta because of its diversity, but it's not like NY diversity. There may be lots of different kinds of people here, but people tend to stick to their own kind here more so than up north. Old habits die hard I guess.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwratt View Post
I can't speak to everything that you've asked, but I've had some experiences that you might like to keep in mind.

2. As a fellow New Yorker and BM in an IR marriage with a Latina, we have gotten a lot of pushback from black folks down here. It obviously comes across in a very gendered way, but we have some kind of a problem almost EVERY time we go out together and encounter other black people. As a BM in an IR marriage, you may have a completely different experience here. Everyone has their own experience, but that is ours (we've lived in both Cobb and DeKalb counties, but we've gotten it all over the metro area). It creates challenges for our child who is sensitive enough to pick up on bad vibes from people. We want her to have a positive and healthy relationship with her blackness and have come to understand that the local racial dynamics of Atlanta are not supportive of that for us. I wouldn't say that the majority of black folks have reacted to us with hostility, but it has been a frequent enough occurrence that we no longer feel positively about the Atlanta area as a whole. We have lived in a few other "less progressive" places in the south and have never been treated this way with this degree of frequency. I would be very wary of moving here tbh. We will not be staying.

7. We haven't faced any challenges with our child in the school relative to demonization, but our child has faced social exclusion from classmates because of her race (in pre-k no less). The school response was decent, but I have to wonder if the situation might have been taken more seriously if my child wasn't mixed.

Many people may like to brush these experiences aside because they are embarrassing and belie the myth of Atlanta as a liberal enclave in a very red state. However, Atlanta, like everywhere else, has its problems. There are many wonderful things about Atlanta, but the reality of being a black person in an IR marriage here is not a good one. Ymmv of course, but I would be remiss to not tell you what you COULD be getting yourselves into. Hopefully your experience will be better than ours.

We were very attracted to Atlanta because of its diversity, but it's not like NY diversity. There may be lots of different kinds of people here, but people tend to stick to their own kind here more so than up north. Old habits die hard I guess.

That sounds sooo sad. I did think Atlanta was full of diversity, but I was hesitant because it was...the "SOUTH". When my husband and I visited it was absolutely wonderful and everyone was so kind and friendly. We'll defiently keep close to Jesus and God willing we'll have a better experience. We tend to keep to ourselves mostly here anyway, but it never hurts to pray. Thank you for sharing your story with me.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
So answer my question, were you offended that I posted my ethnicity?

Don't mind some of these folks. They bought into the Fox Newsy/Conservative school of thought...that if you don't mention "race" or "ethnicity"...then ergo, there is no racism.

Tada!

And now what they are trying to do is browbeat anyone online into buying into their bullcrap. Classic loaded language strategy, I suppose.

Pretty childish and lame, if you ask me.

But that's the mindset some of these Georgia folks are apparently operating on these days.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:40 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:
OK...we are flying down in two weeks to close on a BEAUTIFUL house in Fairburn Ga. It's an established neighborhood (I have no idea what that means lol) and its OVER 5 ACRES!!!!! OMG OMG OMG, THANK YOU JESUS. The house we originally made an offer on was in a protected zone and in a subdivison...that wasn't mentioned before so we rescinded.

You have no idea the issues we had with people attempting to con us. I am soo happy we got a buyer agent. We originally wanted 20 acres, but being that we're both new to homesteading, I think this is an appropriate size to start with for now.

I want to personally thank ALL of you for asking my questions...and in SUCH great detail. This online community is wonderful and gave great tips that I couldn't find with just research.

From the deepest crevices of my heart, Thank you all.
Congratulations

Old 06-03-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Don't mind some of these folks. They bought into the Fox Newsy/Conservative school of thought...that if you don't mention "race" or "ethnicity"...then ergo, there is no racism.

Tada!

And now what they are trying to do is browbeat anyone online into buying into their bullcrap. Classic loaded language strategy, I suppose.

Pretty childish and lame, if you ask me.

But that's the mindset some of these Georgia folks are apparently operating on these days.

SO its like...I won't speak about Satan, so...he's not real. I agree it is childish and lame as I had a PLETHORA of other things that were questioned and race was a small factor. Some people seem to stay worrying about SPECKS and ignoring the BEAMS lol.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Congratulations

THANK YOU : )

Old 06-03-2015, 10:50 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwratt View Post

NYC isn't really that much different. Boston is one of the most racist cities in the country. Philly is fine. DC suffers some of the same problems as Atlanta, but it's still more sophisticated and cosmopolitan.

The West is the best for interracial marriages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta