Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,668 times

Advertisements

I began to consider which city I would like to live in as I plan on moving down soon. I visited quite a few friends and each one had their own opinion of what made their location best and what made the others worst- this became very confusing. I met with a real estate agent while down there and was advised to stay north of atlanta- Marietta, Roswell, Alpharetta area because its a better area with better schooling. All of my friends lived in Lithonia, Jonesboro and Conyers and agreed it was best to stay in these areas because of the school areas and it was less congested and less "ghetto"- totally opposite of the advise of the real estate agent.

What's most important to me is schooling as I have a teenage straight A student and one in first grade, then job. Must say- I thought I was coming down to get better info, and I'm only more confused now than ever! So which is it- North or Southeast of Atlanta? Who has the better school districts and job opportunities? Isn't all traffic relatively 40 minutes from each direction? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 06:12 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
OK, first, don't move here, especially with a kid, unless you ALREADY have a job. Once you have a job THEN you can figure out which neighborhood is best based on schools.

Thing is, commutes here are horrible. What value is it to send your kid to a good school if he/she is left alone until you get home at 7:30pm?

Also, we need to know your budget for a house. There are some really good school districts in the city but you're going to pay $350K+, though you will have the shortest commute. Even in some of the close-in but not intown suburbs you're going to pay close to that, though you're going to get a bigger, newer home and a little bit longer commute. If your budget is something like $150K then that means moving way to the outer metro areas and your commute will truly suck (we're talking 1.5 hours each way).

So, first decide on your budget. Then find the job. Then find the school. Then the house.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:37 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
OK, first, don't move here, especially with a kid, unless you ALREADY have a job. Once you have a job THEN you can figure out which neighborhood is best based on schools.

Thing is, commutes here are horrible. What value is it to send your kid to a good school if he/she is left alone until you get home at 7:30pm?

Also, we need to know your budget for a house. There are some really good school districts in the city but you're going to pay $350K+, though you will have the shortest commute. Even in some of the close-in but not intown suburbs you're going to pay close to that, though you're going to get a bigger, newer home and a little bit longer commute. If your budget is something like $150K then that means moving way to the outer metro areas and your commute will truly suck (we're talking 1.5 hours each way).

So, first decide on your budget. Then find the job. Then find the school. Then the house.
Yes...good advice--after you decide on your budget and get a job...you can zero in on school/house...which should be determined based on where you will be working in the gargantuan Metro Atlanta area.

More information to know...don't worry...there are good school districts in all parts of the Metro Area--southeast side, north side, wherever!

Good Luck.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:16 AM

9 posts, read 22,551 times
Default Stay away from North atlanta

. Some nice areas north atlanta but the traffic is terrible. I make the drive from Peachtree city which is 30 miles south of the airport into atlanta almost daily and my commute is one of the better ones. School systems are great and its a golf cart community with over 200 miles of golf cart and bike trails..love it. Mark

Old 01-20-2008, 10:58 PM

137 posts, read 739,458 times
I think you are confused because you've not visited the right place: Peachtree City. The schools are excellent, low crime, lots of recreation, good shopping, golf cart paths (your teen can use a golf cart to go to school), etc. It really is a wonderful place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta