Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:43 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
Here's a TV producer explaining what he likes about working in Atlanta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrHRapCIctc
^^^^ EVERYTHING HE SAID!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 03:14 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Very true. I have a friend at Sony in L.A. that says we are entrenched now.

I'm not really in favor of any type of tax incentives or subsidizing of corporate relocations at all, but I still think we should leave the incentives for this in place for a while.
I'm not a fan of tax breaks for company relocations or whatever, which do nothing but benefit the company itself, and maybe create a few dozen jobs, or even a couple hundred. But these incentives have not only amounted to huge growth of an entire industry in the area, but that industry has given thousands of people good-paying jobs (yes, a huge portion of TV and film jobs pay quite well), and brought quite a few new companies to town, with more needed to support it. This, of course, means even more jobs and businesses. And that's only directly-involved businesses. All of these people need a place to live, food to eat, and entertainment as well, which benefits even more people.

For something like that, I can support a tax incentive, even if I'm biased because it's benefitted me and my friends greatly.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:41 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I'm not a fan of tax breaks for company relocations or whatever, which do nothing but benefit the company itself, and maybe create a few dozen jobs, or even a couple hundred. But these incentives have not only amounted to huge growth of an entire industry in the area, but that industry has given thousands of people good-paying jobs (yes, a huge portion of TV and film jobs pay quite well), and brought quite a few new companies to town, with more needed to support it. This, of course, means even more jobs and businesses. And that's only directly-involved businesses. All of these people need a place to live, food to eat, and entertainment as well, which benefits even more people.

For something like that, I can support a tax incentive, even if I'm biased because it's benefitted me and my friends greatly.
I'm glad it's benefitted your and your friends, samiwas1! It's benefitted several friends of mine, as well.

From the billions of dollars spent during productions to the massive investment in permanent infrastructure the industry is undertaking, the tax incentives are worth every penny in my opinion.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 PM

605 posts, read 804,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
NC really shot itself in the foot
Correction: NC's governor and legislative branch have shot NC in the foot. Something they've been doing, nonstop, since 2012.

Georgia has surpassed it in almost every way since then.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:05 AM

164 posts, read 170,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Rodney Ho's latest count of TV shows in production in Metro Atlanta this season is simply mind-boggling. He comes up with 55 -- by far the largest number of shows thus far -- and his list DOES NOT INCLUDE a number of shows that are still in the planning stages, on hiatus and awaiting word on cancellation, are pilots not yet picked up by a network, news / sports shows, and / or reality series that just stop by on occassion.

Take a look at this list and try not to be blown away, or at least slighty impressed.

Atlanta TV shows | Radio and TV Talk
Out of curiosity, do you know how many are in production in LA and NY? Just for comparisons sake.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:50 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
One thing the city needs to do is set up a website showing all the upcoming filming locations, with hours, dates, lane closures, number of vehicles, etc.

The way they do it now is they just send out emails to the councilmembers and the NPUs, often on very short notice, and not everybody gets them.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:22 AM

560 posts, read 667,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
One thing the city needs to do is set up a website showing all the upcoming filming locations, with hours, dates, lane closures, number of vehicles, etc.

The way they do it now is they just send out emails to the councilmembers and the NPUs, often on very short notice, and not everybody gets them.
Yeah, I think the reason it's very short notice is because that industry needs a certain degree of flexibility. Call times and shooting schedules are forever changing. Shoots go long one day so they decide to do a half day the next. A scene calls for sunshine but it starts to rain so they go indoors and film a different scene. Plus, there's often a need to shoot things in secret so as not to attract crowds of looky-loos.

I'm not sure that even LA's film industry has a site like this. It would be, at best, unreliable.

But I agree, it would be helpful to have a better system since it looks like this will be a long term industry.

Ultimately, what will alleviate this problem is the continued build-out of studio space. Shooting on a set instead of on-location means the production can control all the variables. And it means less headache/traffic for people in Atlanta.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:31 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Todd Chrisley (Chrisley Knows Best) is getting a talk show. Is that going to be filming in Atlanta, too? I didn't see it on the list.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:28 PM

346 posts, read 388,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

One issue is the fact that some of the productions that impact businesses and traffic are outside the Atlanta city limits, so it would meed to be a regional site.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:52 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
A website might not be perfect in every situation but it would definitely help.

When location shoots were an occasional thing it wasn't a big deal, but now they take place several times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: