Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:04 AM

20 posts, read 28,887 times

Advertisements

So my friends and I are thinking of moving back to Atlanta because it's way cheaper than our current living situation in Los Angeles. We all work in film, them more so on crew side, and me more on the corporate side.

My friends are getting the better deal because they need more productions to work on, but I seem to be getting the crappy end because I work in the corporate buildings for the networks and studios that produce these films.

My question is, I only know of Turner and Tyler Perry Studios as the main production companies/tv and film related companies in Atlanta. (Not looking to work for CNN, as I'm into creative tv and film and not news)

Coming from the corporate side (I've been Receptionist at The CW, and temp for ABC and Disney for their programming and production management departments), does anyone know how the job market is for someone looking to work in the offices and not on the sets?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebol View Post
So my friends and I are thinking of moving back to Atlanta because it's way cheaper than our current living situation in Los Angeles. We all work in film, them more so on crew side, and me more on the corporate side.

My friends are getting the better deal because they need more productions to work on, but I seem to be getting the crappy end because I work in the corporate buildings for the networks and studios that produce these films.

My question is, I only know of Turner and Tyler Perry Studios as the main production companies/tv and film related companies in Atlanta. (Not looking to work for CNN, as I'm into creative tv and film and not news)

Coming from the corporate side (I've been Receptionist at The CW, and temp for ABC and Disney for their programming and production management departments), does anyone know how the job market is for someone looking to work in the offices and not on the sets?

Thanks!
Pinewood Studios ... THE Pinewood Studios (of Great Britain) re: James Bond and Harry Potter, are building their FIRST United States production studios in METRO ATLANTA! If you have a good resume, I don't see how you could NOT tap into the booming ATL film / TV industry. At the very least, you wouldn't have to wait tables any longer than you would in LA ... and you know exactly what I'm talking about!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,390,859 times
EUE Screen Gems has a studio here, you might try them.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,632,417 times
What about the other studios that are opening?

Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM

17 posts, read 26,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Pinewood Studios ... THE Pinewood Studios (of Great Britain) re: James Bond and Harry Potter, are building their FIRST United States production studios in METRO ATLANTA! If you have a good resume, I don't see how you could NOT tap into the booming ATL film / TV industry. At the very least, you wouldn't have to wait tables any longer than you would in LA ... and you know exactly what I'm talking about!
You realize there are almost no (decent) production companies in GA, let alone any studios? The soundstages being built in Atlanta will serve out of state productions as temporary shooting locations, but that's it for now. Pinewood doesn't produce films. There's a big different between soundstage and studio

Unfortunately Atlanta doesn't have many producers or above the line talent. All the big productions that come here are from out of state. And the indie scene is pretty pitiful. As soon as anyone here reaches any level of talent, they head to LA or NYC

OP, as of now, not a ton of corporate film work in Atl, since there are very few corporate offices and no studios. Mostly it's just below the line production jobs.

I'm actually moving to LA very soon to work in the corporate/above the line side, as atlanta just doesn't have very much, and probably won't for a few years

EDIT: But that is a great question OP. Been working in the atl film scene for a few years and this has been quite a dilemma for me as well. Everybody clamours over all the new stages, but they don't realize that we're simply outsourcing production jobs. All the big wigs and actual producers live in LA, and it doesn't look like that's set to change. All films begin and are developed and hired in LA (above the line/key positions) and when it is time to shoot, they come here, hire a few local crew to move lights, shoot the film. When the film is done, they take it back to LA and go through post production there. Then the film is released, and all profits stay in LA. Atl is just a cheap middleman

Last edited by ponce2; 08-08-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce2 View Post
You realize there are almost no (decent) production companies in GA, let alone any studios? The soundstages being built in Atlanta will serve out of state productions as temporary shooting locations, but that's it for now. Pinewood doesn't produce films. There's a big different between soundstage and studio

Unfortunately Atlanta doesn't have many producers or above the line talent. All the big productions that come here are from out of state. And the indie scene is pretty pitiful. As soon as anyone here reaches any level of talent, they head to LA or NYC

OP, as of now, not a ton of corporate film work in Atl, since there are very few corporate offices and no studios. Mostly it's just below the line production jobs.

I'm actually moving to LA very soon to work in the corporate/above the line side, as atlanta just doesn't have very much, and probably won't for a few years

EDIT: But that is a great question OP. Been working in the atl film scene for a few years and this has been quite a dilemma for me as well. Everybody clamours over all the new stages, but they don't realize that we're simply outsourcing production jobs. All the big wigs and actual producers live in LA, and it doesn't look like that's set to change. All films begin and are developed and hired in LA (above the line/key positions) and when it is time to shoot, they come here, hire a few local crew to move lights, shoot the film. When the film is done, they take it back to LA and go through post production there. Then the film is released, and all profits stay in LA. Atl is just a cheap middleman
Thanks Ponce2! I had heard that there were a ton of studios opening up, but am singularly interested in above the line work. I know Turner is as close as I can get to my work out here. Do you know anything about Turner? Because they oversee TBS and TNT, I was thinking maybe those offices were in Atlanta. That'd be about my only option (other than Tyler Perry's production offices).

Thanks again for all the great info!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 PM

17 posts, read 26,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebol View Post
Thanks Ponce2! I had heard that there were a ton of studios opening up, but am singularly interested in above the line work. I know Turner is as close as I can get to my work out here. Do you know anything about Turner? Because they oversee TBS and TNT, I was thinking maybe those offices were in Atlanta. That'd be about my only option (other than Tyler Perry's production offices).

Thanks again for all the great info!
Yeah, there's a ton of soundstages opening, an insane amount. By next year we'll have the same amount of space as LA. However, no studios or post houses have their offices here

What's your ultimate career goal? That's probably an important determining factor

I have a few friends at Turner. They do have offices here and they produce some content, but they also have offices in LA that produce a lot of content. Adult Swim is also here (but also in LA).

If working in Hollywood or feature films is your end goal, I don't think Atlanta is quite there. There's some network positions available via CNN, Turner, Adult Swim, Weather Channel, but there's not a ton of upward mobility in them.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,226,754 times
Time Warner Careers (includes Turner Broadcasting & Warner Bros. Entertainment Group) Careers - Working With Us - Time Warner

Creative Circle - they offer creative based freelance and contract job opportunities Creative Circle > Home

Hope these are helpful.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 PM

I'm looking for a position at a network preferably in development and production in original programming. How do your friends like working at Turner?

Thanks again!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Time Warner Careers (includes Turner Broadcasting & Warner Bros. Entertainment Group) Careers - Working With Us - Time Warner

Creative Circle - they offer creative based freelance and contract job opportunities Creative Circle > Home

Hope these are helpful.
Thanks LynnHarris!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta