Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:53 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,012,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post

Additionally, as others have said, mosquitos aren't your only bug concern. You'll want them to try to prevent spiders, day AND evening/night mosquitos, cockroaches, palmetto bugs, lizards, etc. That said, this is Atlanta - if you never have a cockroach in your house, I will be quite impressed.

I used to think this way as well until I moved into a (relatively) newer home built in 2001 out in Norcross.
It is the first place in Atlanta I have ever lived where I have yet to see a roach or palmetto bug.

I've lived in Midtown, Home Park, Vinings/Smyrna, Howell Mill area, Morningside and Roswell.

We have seen ants from time to time, a spider here or there near water pipes, but that is it. Pest free living can be done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:41 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,370,044 times
Georgia, while not as bad as Florida, does have a very active Bug of the Month Club. Mosquitoes aren't your only problem.

My suggestion would be to take your architectural and design cues from traditional Southern (Pre-A/C) architecture. Wide eaves, screened sleeping porches, breezeways, deep porches, etc.

And yes - keep in mind that pollen is probably a bigger nuisance than bugs - I would love to have had my windows open 24/7 (I do have screens) for the last month or so, but it has just been a no go with all the plant sex going on. Once this privet goes on and finishes blooming hopefully it will be over, until ragweed season.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:00 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,339,505 times
The traditional southern "pre-air conditioning" building techniques are a good idea; millions of people survived Georgia summers in the "pre-air conditioned" era. A screened porch is a necessity in ANY southern home in my opinion, even one abided in by a New York transplant. Welcome South, Brother. I hope you find a home that meets your needs, and wants.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:46 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,099,268 times
Adding to the list of bugs:
Stink bugs--it's amazing how many find their way in even with the windows and doors closed most of the time!
Last summer was the first time I have ever had an issue with June beetles (I think also refered to as June bugs and Porch beetles) Those big brown suckers were EVERYWHERE! They were all over my porch. I can only imagine if I had open windows/doors...{shudder}

Old 05-06-2015, 04:58 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,246,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I used to think this way as well until I moved into a (relatively) newer home built in 2001 out in Norcross.
It is the first place in Atlanta I have ever lived where I have yet to see a roach or palmetto bug.

I've lived in Midtown, Home Park, Vinings/Smyrna, Howell Mill area, Morningside and Roswell.

We have seen ants from time to time, a spider here or there near water pipes, but that is it. Pest free living can be done!
I've been living smack dab in the center of the city of Atlanta and haven't seen a single roach or spider in my house since I moved in. All it takes is a regular plan with something like Terminix. They only spray the outside of the house but nothing ever gets in.

Some of the rest of you just made me laugh... I've never seen a group of people in the south who were so scared to go outside! As I said, I spent the entire spring with my house opened up during the days, and wasn't eaten by any giant lizards or carried away by pollen storms. I actually found the pollen situation to be extremely light compared to the gulf coast, where I'm from.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I've been living smack dab in the center of the city of Atlanta and haven't seen a single roach or spider in my house since I moved in. All it takes is a regular plan with something like Terminix. They only spray the outside of the house but nothing ever gets in.

Some of the rest of you just made me laugh... I've never seen a group of people in the south who were so scared to go outside! As I said, I spent the entire spring with my house opened up during the days, and wasn't eaten by any giant lizards or carried away by pollen storms. I actually found the pollen situation to be extremely light compared to the gulf coast, where I'm from.

Yeah - well not so at my house. Between the maple tree right outside of my window (which I am sensitive to) and the Oak (which I am sensitive to), and the lovely giant trees of Chinese privet lining my neighbor's fence (which I am really sensitive to), sleeping with the windows open just isn't feasible to me having a productive workweek.

The other night, my indoor/outdoor cat came home, and for some reason, privet is a good perfume on him. he only gets the sweet parts, whereas my other cat, gets all the musty underbelly of privet, with just a little bit of sweet.

Anyways...the cat smelled so good I decided to huff his fur. Instant headache right between the eyes. Just before bed. It sucked.

As far as bugs - they don't bother me, per se, but I'm not going to pretend that Atlanta doesn't have it's fair share.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:18 AM

And another things about godawful Chinese privet! I hate that it blooms at exactly the same time as my favorite scent of all time - Confederate Jasmine. My front porch smells so lovely, but I can't keep the windows open, because the stupid privet scent completely overpowers the jasmine, and the pollen gives me hell.

I need to come into some money so I can buy the neighbors house and torch all the greenery to the ground and just replant it.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:56 AM

32 posts, read 31,145 times
I have all kinds of bugs but have never really had any issue with mosquitoes. Keep your yard free of standing water (pool is fine) and you'll be OK. They do like ground cover such as ivy or even pine straw also.

I think others in this thread are underselling the benefits and usability of indoor-outdoor space in Atlanta. Yes, if you leave all windows/doors open all summer you're going to get killed on your bill, its going to be humid/sticky in the house and bugs will eat you alive. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to use the outdoor space appropriately.

For the last month in Atlanta temperatures and humidity have hovered around indoor levels. My AC has been taking a vacation. Spring and fall are your friends for outdoor living (just get your allergy shots lined up). In the summer, morning and nighttime are well suited to leaving spaces open to outside.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:29 AM

41 posts, read 71,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post

Additionally, as others have said, mosquitos aren't your only bug concern. You'll want them to try to prevent spiders, day AND evening/night mosquitos, cockroaches, palmetto bugs, lizards, etc. That said, this is Atlanta - if you never have a cockroach in your house, I will be quite impressed.

This has been the hardest thing for me to get used to. I associate having ANY cockroaches with being gross, never cleaning, etc. Here, even with a pest control contract, it seems like I'm always finding something new and gross in my house. I don't even care, palmetto bugs is just a fancy name for really freaking big roaches.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:15 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,099,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post

Personally, I LOVE being outside. End of July/early August I might spend a little more time indoors. I don't really mind bugs outside either (although, I admit I have some phobia-ish issues with them...) I won't let my kids kill bugs when they're outside. That's where bugs live, doesn't seem right to kill them. My goodwill ends at the threshold to my house, however. I will find them and I will kill them.

Reading through the responses...I understood the OP's question not to be one of spending time indoors or outdoors, or even occasionally having the windows open. I pictured a beautiful wall of glass doors or windows that could completely open to, say, a large deck or patio. Maybe that's not what he meant. But while I've seen this in other parts of the country, I cannot imagine that set up here. For all the reasons mentioned: humidity, pollen, bugs, heat...

I vote for great indoor areas with lots of natural light, and lovely welcoming outdoor areas. Separated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta