Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:06 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times

Advertisements

Pretty much the whole metro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:48 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Pretty much the whole metro
I think it's settled OP. Atlanta is just one big ghetto burb.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:10 AM

416 posts, read 972,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Don't get me started about the North!
Right on point! Mayhem at Avalon has got to stop lol...

Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 AM

38 posts, read 91,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Black Kids loitering at the mall. Definitely the hood.

Also Cumberland mall is squarely in Smyrna. Vinings (until they change the boundaries of their Census Designated Place) isn't all of 30339. The original boundaries were really just Paces Ferry between 41 and Atlanta Rd.

I know there are some "poors" renting apartment near the Atlanta Rd. side, but other than that, any loitering would be as EvanNole said, at the Banana Republic, or maybe White/House Black market. I have seen some loiterers at the Library too.

Recently, I've wondered if Vinings is a real municipality at all. As you indicated, it seems that a lot of places with "Vinings" labels are actually in Smyrna (or have Smyrna addresses). I'm not sure if I've actually seen a place with a real "Vinings" street address; even places that are just off of Paces Ferry Rd. have "Smyrna" addresses.

Is the "Vinings" name basically equivalent to "Ansley Park" or "Buckhead"? Those neighborhoods are all well-known - but when it comes to sending mail to those neighborhoods, you will never see "Buckhead" or "Ansley Park" on address labels.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:09 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemsally View Post
Recently, I've wondered if Vinings is a real municipality at all. As you indicated, it seems that a lot of places with "Vinings" labels are actually in Smyrna (or have Smyrna addresses). I'm not sure if I've actually seen a place with a real "Vinings" street address; even places that are just off of Paces Ferry Rd. have "Smyrna" addresses.

Is the "Vinings" name basically equivalent to "Ansley Park" or "Buckhead"? Those neighborhoods are all well-known - but when it comes to sending mail to those neighborhoods, you will never see "Buckhead" or "Ansley Park" on address labels.
Vinings is actually in unincorporated Cobb County. It most definitely has a sense of place, but there is no City or layer of government there any different from the rest of unincorporated Cobb.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Buckhead View Post
I cannot for the life of me understand who would pay for that. It's not as if it's a good area with some troubled spots, it's honestly no better than any intown ghettoes it just has newer homes is all!

For that price you can buy in Decatur if you need to be in Dekalb, or by Cascade Road if you need to be in a black area without the sound of small arms fire at night.

I'm not sure if I completely agree with this. The parts of Stone Mountain that have $300K-plus homes are not in very close proximity to the parts of Stone Mountain that make the news for all of the wrong reasons. The neighborhoods with these expensive homes are farther south - down Stone Mountain-Lithonia Road and Rockbridge Rd.. While those neighborhoods are apparently not too far from lower-income areas (when you live in a $400K home and the closest grocery store to you is a Wayfield Foods - it might be frustrating) - and the retail options in the immediate area are paltry - these residents aren't nearly close enough to the Stone Mountain ghettos to hear gunfire. I would think that the Cascade Rd. area is actually more dangerous; heck, even Cascade-area resident Hank Aaron got burglarized fairly recently.

And Decatur (I presume you're talking about intown Decatur) is for people who are interested in a certain lifestyle; Decatur has a very different feel than the Stone Mountain suburbs. I would guess that the people who choose to buy in greater Stone Mountain (i.e. the upscale neighborhoods between downtown Stone Mountain and downtown Lithonia) aren't that interested in the eclectic/intown experience that Decatur offers; they prefer the more open spaces and the "blander" experience of the suburban DeKalb hinterlands.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Vinings is actually in unincorporated Cobb County. It most definitely has a sense of place, but there is no City or layer of government there any different from the rest of unincorporated Cobb.
I was wondering if it had a government at all! Though I'm not nearly as familiar with Cobb County as I am, say, DeKalb - I think that I am aware that Smyrna has real government services - I've seen some of the Smyrna municipal buildings. Have I seen any Vinings city or municipal properties? I don't think so. And like I've said - I've known people who live just over the City of Atlanta line to have "Smyrna" addresses. I'm going to try to see if I can locate a "Vinings" address.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:50 AM

O.k. - here is something that you would expect to have a Vinings address - the Banana Republic that was infamously mentioned earlier in this thread. But it has an Atlanta (ah!) address:

Shop Petites At Vinings Jubilee, Atlanta, GA | Banana Republic

Old 07-29-2015, 07:33 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemsally View Post
I was wondering if it had a government at all! Though I'm not nearly as familiar with Cobb County as I am, say, DeKalb - I think that I am aware that Smyrna has real government services - I've seen some of the Smyrna municipal buildings. Have I seen any Vinings city or municipal properties? I don't think so. And like I've said - I've known people who live just over the City of Atlanta line to have "Smyrna" addresses. I'm going to try to see if I can locate a "Vinings" address.
Within the last year or so, the USPS reworked the zip codes in the area slightly, and also finally declared that "Vinings" is an acceptable place name for addresses in the 30339 zip code.

That said, it is not a municipality, and I am sure we could have a ten page thread on here debating what any "official" boundaries of Vinings are or should be.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:18 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,252 times
Vinings is a "Census Designated Place".

I'm not sure what that means, other than it doesn't have it's own government, but is a....place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta