Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times

Advertisements

This thread is going off the rails fairly quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This thread is going off the rails fairly quickly.
Well, with subjects like this, it brings out the very worst.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:55 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
To be fair, the thread didn't start off too well anyways. Check the OP...

Danny, you need to get out more. There are plenty of your neighbors in Buckhead that send their kids down to my frightening part of town on a daily basis. They even let their kids ride the ghetto train on the way down! *GASP* Do you think those generations of well heeled families are insane for sending them down to ghettotown Historic College Park? Maybe you should call DFCS to let them know about this rampant child abuse occurring throughout the upper crust of Atlanta's citizens.

Simple exercise here. Check zillow, look at N Fayette County and Historic College Park and get back to me on how impoverished people could afford to live in those places.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:07 AM

82 posts, read 120,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
To be fair, the thread didn't start off too well anyways. Check the OP...

Danny, you need to get out more. There are plenty of your neighbors in Buckhead that send their kids down to my frightening part of town on a daily basis. They even let their kids ride the ghetto train on the way down! *GASP* Do you think those generations of well heeled families are insane for sending them down to ghettotown Historic College Park? Maybe you should call DFCS to let them know about this rampant child abuse occurring throughout the upper crust of Atlanta's citizens.

Simple exercise here. Check zillow, look at N Fayette County and Historic College Park and get back to me on how impoverished people could afford to live in those places.
As for the school, I think you're talking about Woodward right? Woodward kids get picked up on a bus and dropped off at the secure Woodward Campus, parents who can afford Woodward don't put their kids on a train.

My answer to your second question is: how do poor people live in Manhattan and Hollywood and San Fran? section 8 vouchers.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:11 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Buckhead View Post
As for the school, I think you're talking about Woodward right? Woodward kids get picked up on a bus and dropped off at the secure Woodward Campus, parents who can afford Woodward don't put their kids on a train.

My answer to your second question is: how do poor people live in Manhattan and Hollywood and San Fran? section 8 vouchers.
Sorry, but lots of Woodward students ride the train. Including rich folks.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Oh yes, you must silence me so your real estate in Union City or Fayetteville or Stone Mountain will get sold. Easiest way to do that is to call me a racist.

I checked the demographics of Fayette County HS, 35% on subsidized lunch....such a great school!

And no I don't take MARTA except from my area to Midtown or to Decatur, wouldn't ever go that far south I don't wanna die! As for driving in CP to the Airport, I'm not a big flyer but when I do I take a cab and take 285 or 85, wouldn't ever drive on the side streets there. Have you ever seen the opening scene from Snow on the Bluff? I would prefer that not happen to me yeah
LOL ... you know how to use the internet! Good for you. What you don't know is that the federal subsidized lunch program is the biggest entilement scam inb the nation. It does not reflect poverty. Anybody who applies for it gets it -- without having to provide any proof of actual income. It's all supposed to be for privacy and confidentialy reaasons you see. Minorities figured this out years ago, and many black families take advantage of it regardless of their income levels.

Fayette County has for many years been regarded as the best school district in Georgia, and despite the slow shift in demographics over the last 10=15 years, it still maintains that reputation. Black families move to Fayette County for the same reasons white families do -- for good schools, for safe neighborhoods, for the high quality of life. A few of them lie on their free lunch applications. Big deal.

Now here's the rest of this story: Fayette County has five public high schools. Two of them, McIntosh and Starrs Mill, are ranked in the top 10 in the state. Another, Whitewater, is in the top 30. Fayette County and Sandy Creek high schools, which are both majority minority (roughly 50 percent black, 25 percent white, 25 percent other) are in the top 40. Altogether, the five Fayette high schools rank in the top 10 percent of all high schools in Georgia, and four of them were just named among the most challenging high schools in the nation. Fayette County's high schools have the lowest dropout rate and highest graduation rates in the state. More than 90 percent of this year's senior class at majorority-black Fayette County High will go on to college in the fall. The valedictorian is going to Yale on a full scholarship.

I could waste my time going on and on. But of course you don't give a damn.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:27 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There's alot of Black people in Powder Springs. 46% Black. Low crime rate according to the link I am posting: //www.city-data.com/city/Powder...s-Georgia.html

A better question to ask is this. Why is East Point so bad, but Powder Springs, which has a Black majority, is doing much better?

I don't really think it is, but if I were to venture a guess, I would say because powder Springs isn't bordered directly by the most disinvested parts of City of Atlanta and is subject to the Fulton County Court System. it's also kind of in the middle of nowhere with very little direct highway access. (which also plays a part in crime rates. Easy Access by car is far more of a crime enabler than easy access by Train, imo.

The crime rate in EP is slightly lower than the crime rate in College Park, and comparable to the crime rate in Hapeville, and although I don't have the stats, most likely comparable to the crime rate in Atlanta Zones 3 and 6. It's a regional issue, not a specific to East Point issue.

The difference for us, and possibly College Park and Hapeville too, is the response times of our City Police Forces - they will be where they need to be within 5 minutes. If they don't apprehend someone on the spot, they will get them before the week is out. However, then they have to turn them over to Fulton County, and Fulton County will release the jokers within the week, and then we have a cycle of recidivism.

Sadly - no one ever seems to take the 30,000 ft view to see whether crime is specific to East Point or if there is something else at play.

In my opinion there is. And also - my original post was chock full of sarcasm. Sorry you missed it.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Your profile says you live in College Park, obviously we have different standards of what a safe neighborhood is. I'm honestly afraid to drive through CP.

I might have a different standard of what ghetto is but year pretty much all of the suburban areas outside Forsyth, North Fulton and East Cobb with a few others I mentioned earlier ARE ghetto to me. Take that however you want. For the record I don't find the black folks in Alpharetta or Milton ghetto, the ones in Lithonia hel.l yes I do.

You have a very different, and skewed standard of what is ghetto. You sound like a sheltered teenager that has never actually been to the places that you are listing off. So basically - you are a troll.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:39 AM

82 posts, read 120,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
You have a very different, and skewed standard of what is ghetto. You sound like a sheltered teenager that has never actually been to the places that you are listing off. So basically - you are a troll.
I'm likely older than you, have lived here all my life and have a son going into High School next year. I travel all around the metro for my job (advising folks what to do with their money for retirement) and these are my opinions.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Umm...yeah - you are really talking like you are an authority on things and stuff, but the more you are talking, the more it becomes obvious you actually have NO idea what you are going on about. Please stop. You are just making yourself look bad. lol

For the record - while Woodward does have bussing, many of the older kids take the train, and or drive their own cars right on down to "Gangland central" .

So sorry you are too scared to do what the teenagers do. Really sorry you were raised that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta