Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Okay maybe I should have said A Canton Experience, but I was just giving my account. The reason I give it a second thought is because I don't go to some place to feel alienated. I go there to have a good time and not get stared at. As for getting stared at coldly, I know it happens in many places and it shouldn't have to be like that no matter who you are.
Have you tried 'The Bankhead Experience'

How about 'The S.W.A.T.'s Experience'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 09:50 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Have you tried 'The Bankhead Experience'

How about 'The S.W.A.T.'s Experience'
I think I would be scared to go to those areas.

I never said that it couldn't happen to anyone, because it can, and it does.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:38 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS99 View Post
Hey Bob, a bit off topic but......how are you liking HOL?
The wife an I are building in the Enclave and are set to close in July.
We love it. Let us know next time you're coming out to check on the house, and maybe we'll stop by.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:01 AM

I'm not worried about houses right now.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:49 AM

14 posts, read 42,491 times
Default Setting it straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Canton is pretty and yes I'd agree still scary.

And as funny as it sounds to say Woodstock is more cosmopolitian...and that's a very loose use of that term but it's almost accurate.
I really hate to interrupt the fire-war, but I think I've been misunderstood. My use of the word "scary" referred to the Skyscraper's extremist and alarmist views. Canton IS NOT scary! Not by a long shot!....and I think these postings referring to Canton as racist are seriously unfair and exaggerated.

These negative experiences could be from any place. Who knows what drives a customer service rep to give bad service?....maybe they are just plain lazy, ill, tired, or whatever! I've had bad service and been looked at a little long in the past, but I don't assume its because I'm white either.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jena1967 View Post
I really hate to interrupt the fire-war, but I think I've been misunderstood. My use of the word "scary" referred to the Skyscraper's extremist and alarmist views. Canton IS NOT scary! Not by a long shot!....and I think these postings referring to Canton as racist are seriously unfair and exaggerated.

These negative experiences could be from any place. Who knows what drives a customer service rep to give bad service?....maybe they are just plain lazy, ill, tired, or whatever! I've had bad service and been looked at a little long in the past, but I don't assume its because I'm white either.
Anyone can get bad service, but what I noticed was that everyone else was getting better service. That is what I noticed.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:16 PM

14 posts, read 42,491 times
Default Garbage!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
She was "ignorant" of the fact that the person she was speaking to did not share her sentiment- and it's a sentiment that is better kept to oneself, so don't tell me "she was just voicing her opinion and she has the right to do that".
What is it about "opinions" that says every one should be "expressed"???!!
HAVING an opinion is not synonymous with EXPRESSING it, and few for that matter need/should be expressed!

Many renderers "opinions" are faulty as they are not based on sound fact, carry little weight, and is reflective of the one expressing it (often not a good reflection, either).

The receivers RESPONSIBILITY lies in putting it where it belongs....in the garbage!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 PM

42 posts, read 202,170 times
Maybe being Sicilian is problematic for me, but if ANYONE stares at me, I don't care whether or not they are dipped, dyed or painted, they are gonna get the same response from me - I am going to walk over to them and say "Do you have a problem?" and if they answer in the negative, then my response will be "Well, unless you have a death wish, I strongly advise you to find something else to gawk at, my friend." In 45 years of living all over the East Coast, I have only had to do this twice, and I have never had to hurt anyone, nor have I ever had to repeat myself. Of course, if they do have a problem, and it is a reasonable issue (i.e., I am parking in their spot, I resemble someone they know, they mistake me for their new neighbor), then of course I respond cordially and we figure it out. Most often, the transaction ends with a handshake and smiles all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I beg to differ- just by calling this thread "The Canton Experience", rather than something like "A Canton Experience", people are led to believe that what happened on one isolated trip to a car wash is a common occurence in Canton.

In a way, though, it's pretty funny that something so absurd has resulted in a 70+ post thread. If a black person "looked at me coldly" (or whatever similar term was used by the OP in describing the treatment at the car wash) in downtown Atlanta, I'd never give it another thought, and wouldn't think to create a thread here to discuss it- but maybe I'm just not as sensitive as the OP.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 AM

5 posts, read 12,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I was getting stared at and it seemed like it was an "everybody knows everyone type of place" with some aloofness. For me this translates as "you're not welcomed here" not matter how much you hide it. It might have been an isolated incident, but it can be discouraging
I've lived in morristown nj all of my life and we are thinking of relocating to GA. I am 35 years old and there are bars in town that only locals go to. They all get quiet when you walk in. Its not a race issue, its a"who is this guy" issue

Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 12,392 times
Default Need some info

We are moving fron NJ and in need of advice about GA. Buford, Dacula, Alpharetta, and Canton is where we are looking. I do not care about traffic to and from atlanta. I know its bad, but I am no stranger to 2 hour commutes! Just looking for some input from Georgia residents before we visit next week. Any feedback good or bad is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta