Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,889 times

Advertisements

So I'm currently an education major at a college in Atlanta. I've lived here since I was a kid, but I've recently been discontent with living here, mostly because of the problems everyone else has. I'm not a fan of the traffic, humid summers, lack of public transportation and endless suburban sprawl. I've never really fit into the Southern culture, which isn't that prevalent within the city but it's really apparent to me when I go out into certain suburban areas. I also have the perception that Atlanta doesn't really have an identity or unifying culture, compared to most urban areas, since most people are from different parts of the U.S. I never really hear people say they're an "Atlantan," for instance.

I don't want my first post to just be a laundry list of complaints. I eventually plan to leave Atlanta, but still have at least a few years left before I move. I'm looking to re-adjust my attitude and take advantage of all that Georgia has to offer, since it's my home for the foreseeable future. I like history, but I've visited all the museums. I really like nature, so I plan to take day trips to places like Tallulah Gorge and the Blue Ridge Mountains. I guess I'm asking people who might have at one point been dissatisfied with Atlanta what they did to take advantage of where they're living, or at the very least, how to cope with it. I don't mean to rag on the city that's a big part of my identity, but it feels good to get these things off my chest. I really want to make the most of my time here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 08:39 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
Ever had a girl or boyfriend b4? I highly suggest you get one plus grown people don't sit on message boards complaining. Real people make moves.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:57 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Ever had a girl or boyfriend b4? I highly suggest you get one plus grown people don't sit on message boards complaining. Real people make moves.

Literally the entire second half of their post was "I don't want to just complain". He/she is looking for advice just like every one else on this forum. We're all here to talk to people we don't know and I'm glad OP came here to look for ways to change instead of just hating Atlanta.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post

Literally the entire second half of their post was "I don't want to just complain". He/she is looking for advice just like every one else on this forum. We're all here to talk to people we don't know and I'm glad OP came here to look for ways to change instead of just hating Atlanta.
Thank you. Because posting on a message board and looking for more stuff to do in Atlanta means I don't have a girlfriend? Okay....

Old 05-10-2015, 03:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I really don't understand....if you're in college, why do you care about suburban sprawl? Sounds like you are just buying into what others don't like about Atlanta to me! If you are looking at day trips, that indicates you have access to your own transportation, so better mass transit wouldn't help you that much anyway, it's really mostly for commuters.

This is a hard situation without knowing your interests. If you like music, Atlanta has tons of great music. If you like outdoors, there are countless outdoor recreation activities. There is tons to do. Most college kids are stuck in pathetic college towns, but you are in a major city with tons going on. Go find what interests you and if you can't, transfer to another school. I bet you'll find the same situation there because its all about perspective.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:02 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,961,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Why do you make abrasive posts like this? It's so unnecessary.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:34 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklou View Post
So I'm currently an education major at a college in Atlanta. I've lived here since I was a kid, but I've recently been discontent with living here, mostly because of the problems everyone else has. I'm not a fan of the traffic, humid summers, lack of public transportation and endless suburban sprawl. I've never really fit into the Southern culture, which isn't that prevalent within the city but it's really apparent to me when I go out into certain suburban areas. I also have the perception that Atlanta doesn't really have an identity or unifying culture, compared to most urban areas, since most people are from different parts of the U.S. I never really hear people say they're an "Atlantan," for instance.

I don't want my first post to just be a laundry list of complaints. I eventually plan to leave Atlanta, but still have at least a few years left before I move. I'm looking to re-adjust my attitude and take advantage of all that Georgia has to offer, since it's my home for the foreseeable future. I like history, but I've visited all the museums. I really like nature, so I plan to take day trips to places like Tallulah Gorge and the Blue Ridge Mountains. I guess I'm asking people who might have at one point been dissatisfied with Atlanta what they did to take advantage of where they're living, or at the very least, how to cope with it. I don't mean to rag on the city that's a big part of my identity, but it feels good to get these things off my chest. I really want to make the most of my time here.
Meetup.com. Start there.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:53 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
I would go online and look up state and county parks / outdoor preserves in the area. There are a lot and many are beautiful. Do you play a sport? ALTA for tennis comes to mind. They are a great way to get outside and moving and meet folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta